CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Geocaching on First Nations land
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Molly's Reach
Molly's Reach:  [?] . This historic diner, featured for 19 years on CBC's famous TV show, "The Beachcombers", is a cultural mainstay for many Canadians. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Geocaching on First Nations land
toplefttopfilltopright
Geocaching on First Nations land

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Geocaching on First Nations land Reply with quote

I am currently "on hold" with a cache I am seeking to place on Squamish Nation land here in North Vancouver. I'm not sure how many departments my request has been shuffled through but it has now been three weeks of waiting for a decision.

I was thinking of placing a cache on Burrard Band (Tsleil Waututh) land so I sent them an email, too. Here's their response:

Quote::
Thank you for your email and for seeking permission to geocache on Tsleil-Waututh lands.

Unfortunately, we are unable to support your request. By providing permission for this to take place on reserve lands it opens us up to the liability of what could happen to those who enter our lands. Additionally, we do not see our trails as public and seek to limit their use to those living on the reserve.

We understand that those who participate in this are well intentioned and abide by the rules you have noted, but offering permission ultimately opens us to various liabilities and land use that we are not willing to accept. We wish you all the best!

While I am disappointed by the Tsleil Waututh's position, I am still hopeful that my initial request will be approved since there already is a cache in place about 50 metres from the Squamish Band's office.
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching on First Nations land Reply with quote

While I'm sure you're disappointed in having to wait, it's important to keep the guidelines for placing a geocache in mind for every cache you submit:

Quote::
You assure us that you have the landowner's and/or land manager's permission before you hide any geocache, whether placed on private or public property.

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. If you have permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache listing for the benefit of the reviewer and those seeking the cache.

The boxes that you check off at the bottom of a new cache page before it's submitted are a confirmation that you have obtained any necessary permission from the property owner or manager, and reviewers generally go on the basis that you have obtained proper permission when your cache is reviewed.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching on First Nations land Reply with quote

Just an update for anyone who is keeping an eye on this topic: Although I am still awaiting a decision from the Squamish Band Office, I was able to find a hiding spot for my intended cache, with a little help from a wizened reviewer.

It turns out that near the location I had chosen there is a hydro right-of-way that exempts some of the land from the Band's holdings, so that's where I placed the cache. Because you still need to cross Band land to get to it I have made those details very clear on the cache page. (GC40JCQ)

As soon as I receive a response from the Band Office I will pass their decision along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1