CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» When should you delete a duplicate found log
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Swans of Lonesome Lake
Swans of Lonesome Lake:  [?] . You might remember a book called "The Caruso of Lonesome Lake" where Ralph Edwards saved the BC Trumpeter swans from extinction from the 1920's to the 1950s. It was almost required reading for our generation in elementry school in the 70s. Edwards cabin burnt down in the BC fires of 2004. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» When should you delete a duplicate found log
toplefttopfilltopright
When should you delete a duplicate found log
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike&lily

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

Recently we had a cache log deleted because we had unintentionally logged a smilie twice
No big deal right!
Unless of course it happened on a cache that had been archived for over a year and and the duplicate log was written 29 june 2008 coord.info/GL1MXMRY
So our question is this
when should you delete a duplicate found log?
We do it right away .
We can only assume that duplicate found log deletions normally occur shortly after they happen
I guess we have to appreciate the lengths that the cache owner went to in checking the archived cache and going back 4 1/2 years so that they could rectify our mistake
Though we do think that may have been more helpful when the error occured and when we had just been caching a few months and we had not logged so many milestones.
Now it just seems like someone with an axe to grind
Your thought on this matter would be appreciated
Mike Lily
mike&lily

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

coord.info/GC1BX6R
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

Did the owner send you a message saying why they were auditing logs so long after it was archived? Did they send a message at all? Whenever I delete a duplicate log, I always send an accompanying message to explain why I'm deleting a log. It's usually newer cachers that haven't realized they've duplicate logged and would probably get bent out of shape if they just saw a log being deleted without any explanation.
mike&lily

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

yes this would be the accompanying e-mail
(Hey I noticed that you double logged this cache...I am sure it was an oversight so just letting you know that I am deleting the second log. Feel free to relog it as a note..)
This was our offending log. At that time we had been caching less than 4 months
(found this before but were taking some newbies out to expose them to geocaching
t keychain and l geocoin
mikeandlily )
Guess what we don't see here is the point of deleting a log after 4 1/2 years from a cache that has been archived for over 1 year. After all it does affect a persons stats and we recently found our 5000th cache
If most reasonable cachers were going to delete a duplicate found log they would most likely do it closer to when the duplicate log occurred
We were just curious how other cachers deal with duplicate logs and what a reasonable time frame for deletion was
We know of a cacher that has a TB hotel and one cacher has visited the hotel over 10 times and has logged a smilie for each visit
olddffart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

As a cache owner, if a person actually visits my cache and signs the log, they can log their visit any way they want as long as the log is not inappropriate. I'm not going to tell them how they have to play the game or keep their score.
If a Newb double logged a find I might send an email to them and suggest how to change their log to a Note if that is what they want.
If you want to visit my cache and sign the log a dozen times that's your prerogative. Happy Caching !!!
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

Well since the link sends this right to my cache I feel that I must respond. Normally I would have picked that up but I myself overlooked the duplicate log.
Contrary to the implied comment I was actually emailed the info by another cacher who had discovered the duplicate log when they were running a Duplicate Log Macro in GSAK
As cache owner I have the discretion to remove a duplicate log.
mike&lily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

It seams to me that geocaching has gone in the wrong direction. The reason that we began caching was to get outside and enjoy what BC has to offer. Prior to geocaching I was an avid golfer and tracked my handi-cap on a daily basis. On the odd occasion I would misplace a scorecard prior to entering the data required to generate my handi-cap. Was it accurate now? Was it hurting anyone? Should an official have stepped in and corrected my error?
I guess what I!m trying to say is that these stats belong to me and are only a record of where I have been and to ensure that I don't waste my time in going to a location that I have already discovered. If I do make an error it affects me only, not anyone else and the world will not stop revolving if it is not corrected.
So again we are all aware that it is the CO'S God given right to delete a duplicate log entry, but when is it too long to correct the issue knowing full well that you will take their mt hike to view a historical plane crash with friends for their 5000th milestone and turn it into a micro on a mailbox?

So does the question then become when does common decency over-ride the power of it is my right?
zanadian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

If I found a duplicate “found it” log in one of my caches, I’d delete it – whether it was a day old or thousands of days old. It is not my responsibility to ensure other cachers numbers line up.
mike&lily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

I guess it is inpossible to think past the numbers.

I place caches to put smiles on peoples faces, not smileys on cache pages.

I opened this question to get opinions and it sure seems as if I have ruffled some feathers.

I have my own opinion that will let me sleep at night but if ensuring the rules are followed to the letter of the law is your thing, I'll never change your opinion.

project-gc.com may assist the last post that will delete logs 1000 days ago. Seems as if you have a discrepency there to repair.
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

Where exactly in geocaching.com's rules does it say you can only log a cache as found once? I've looked and can't find it....
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

support.groundspeak.co...pter&id=38
Cache Ownership: A Long-term Relationship

Under 6.6 Logging My Own Cache, it's considered "bad form" to log your own cache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit a cache.

I have noticed duplicate logs on caches, others and ours, yet the cacher's 'found' total doesn't change no matter how many times they log that find.
Not sure if this applies to finds logged months or even years later though.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:
http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38
Cache Ownership: A Long-term Relationship

I have noticed duplicate logs on caches, others and ours, yet the cacher's 'found' total doesn't change no matter how many times they log that find.
Not sure if this applies to finds logged months or even years later though.

Actually multiple found logs on the same cache do increase your found number. If you look at your stats you will notice it says 'X' number of finds on 'X' number of unique caches. the first number is your count of 'found it' logs, and it is the one that is displayed on your profile. the second number is the one you are thinking of which is not displayed publicly. You can test this by double logging a cache and you will see your count go up by one. Log one of your own twice, and it will go up by two.
Roman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

Personally I check my find count and unique find count regularity, if I found I had a duplicate log and it meant a milestone turning into a micro LPC then so be it, it would bother me knowing that mountain hie milestone was really just #499 and although it would suck for me I'd still thank the CO.

On the other hand, if you choose to let your logs stand then the CO should let you re-log the cache.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

I will generally send an email if I notice a duplicate log. after that amount of time I would leave the found log alone. having said that, seeing my caching stats showing duplicate logs I ran a GSAK query early on and discovered a few duplicate logs I had made early on in my caching experience. I deleted all but 2 of them after reading the logs. one was for a cache that went missing and was replaced with a new container in a new spot and the cache owner said we could log it again ( it was a new cache different spot same GC number) I decided to keep it the second was for a moving cache it once again was a new experience, I have since just logged note when I have moved it. the rest I deleted because they were accidentally logged twice and I didn't want it to muddy up my stats. now, that how i have decided to play the game. at the end of the day it's a GAME. as a cache owner I only delete logs that were obviously not found.
mike&lily

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

This has been a most informative and interesting topic for us. Thanks for all who have replied
There seem to be a lot of level headed people out there and some others who are too perfect to be true.
We all do our best and most mistakes are just that mistakes and no big deal
But duplicate entries are not the only way to mess up a persons stats
Logging a challenge cache as found once you have completed the challenge instead of writing a note before actually finding the cache and signing the logbook is also another common mistake by newbies
So I guess the cacher who deleted our log was too busy correcting other cachers mistakes instead of correcting their own
and like us their 5000th cache is really 4999
Cache on
Mike&Lily
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

Unless of course the CO emailed and gave permission to log the cache as found ... and to sign the physical log when in the area..
If you dig a little deeper into every one of my 5000+ caches I am sure you can find something else to nitpick.
I am happy with my count and like others am playing the game without stressing about it It is something I enjoy and nothing will deter what I feel is my 5000th find. It might have been 4999 or it might have been 5001. Only me,myself, & I know that for sure...
NO one is perfect. Not this poster, not the poster before me, nor the ones coming after... We do what we can with the knowledge we have and what our conscience dictates.
Like golf my stats are my stats.. Including the ones on the caches I own.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

It was recently pointed out to me that I(marmi) was guilty of double logging a cache. Smack Yup, guilty as charged. Feeling somewhat like a dullard I went back and deleted my first log. Stuff like that happens. I totally agree with what another cacher said on this topic....signing the log is numero uno and they do not check to see if folks are logging their caches multiple times.
I tend to cut people a lot of slack when they find our caches...except for not signing the log book but even then I have stopped caring. Maybe I should care more about how people play the game but it takes too much energy away from more important things. The bottom line is that they have to live with how they play the game, not me.
anakerose

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

What's to argue about?....you logged it twice, the cache owner noticed it and deleted it...I would have done the same thing...end of story.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

Funny, my GSAK count and my Geocaching count were out of sync for finds. I now know how OCD I am cause I spent a long time tracking down the problem and fixing it.

I know I've logged a few more than once, cause i was with another cacher and forgot I found that one before (old age and too many caches).

Personally, I don't care if doubles are on my caches, just leave a treat for me the 2nd time there. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: When should you delete a duplicate found log Reply with quote

What's worse is when you open the ammo can and have a deja vu of 'I already found this cache!'. Find name in logbook from 2006, write new log in book to say 'visited again by accident', go home and log online 'Found It', because we forgot to log it back in '06. Sigh. I think the only cache we logged twice was Bernie, but that's the way it's done. I only delete logs if the person obviously didn't find the cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1