CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mountain Goat
Mountain Goat:  [?] . The mountain goat lives in rocky mountainous areas above the timberline throughout parts of North America. British Columbia's population is by far the largest at approximately 100,000. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info
toplefttopfilltopright
BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike&lily

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

Recently another cacher had requested a BC parks geocache to be archived because it had exceeded the 3 year limit but the cache owner refused and the cacher was informed that the policy had changed and the 3 year limit did not apply
However we cannot seem to find that information.This is what we find when we go to the bc parks geocaching policy

(Cache Lifespan
Caches placed in protected areas must not be considered “permanent” by the cache owner.
Caches must be removed once the cache is no longer being actively sought or within 3 years,
whichever is sooner)
Are we missing something?
We do have a cache in a BC park so would love to know what the accurate guideline is
Does anyone have the answer?
Do the bcga exec know something we don't?
Have the guidelines changed and the changes haven't trickled down to us yet?
Does anyone have an answer to this question?
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

In November 2011 there was a meeting between myself and BC parks and Highways.

During that meeting it was discussed that some changes to parks policy about "refreshing" caches in Parks. There was to be a updated web page as well.

I am currently talking to Parks on getting the web page updated with what was agreed upon.

I will let the membership know the outcome when all is done.

Phil
olddffart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

Phil -
So what is the policy as of now.

With almost a dozen caches within B.C. Parks and some coming up on 3 yrs, I need to know.
Do I need to (re)move them as per the present official stated policy, or can I just ignore the rules because I've heard that something new (better) is maybe going to happen ?
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

As a bit of side information that is not completely applicable to BC Parks. . .

Metro Vancouver Parks has a geocaching policy that is almost identical to the BC Parks policy. We have been told directly that MV Parks would only remove a cache after 3 years if they have other minor issues with it (major issues are dealt with immediately). FYI I believe the 3 oldest caches in BC are located in Metro Vancouver Parks. They are actively monitored by MV Parks.

We have been operating under the assumption that a cache would not be arbitrarily archived after the 3 year rule unless requested directly by BC Parks; the other case is if the cache owner has not indicated a plan to perform maintenance on a disabled cache.
mike&lily

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

So I guess we will adopt a wait and see attitude on this issue and hope that our cache doesn't reach its 3 year limit in the meantime. lol!
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

olddffart wrote:
Phil -
So what is the policy as of now.

With almost a dozen caches within B.C. Parks and some coming up on 3 yrs, I need to know.
Do I need to (re)move them as per the present official stated policy, or can I just ignore the rules because I've heard that something new (better) is maybe going to happen ?

For now just leave till will we get this in writing on the new web site I would suggest.

I am working on getting it changed on the web site.

Phil
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

My understanding is that clause exists to give BC Parks some control over cache placements particularly in the case of environmental damage or other concerns. It is not something they actively enforce or police obviously as it would be a nightmare.

And even so, archiving a cache after 3 years would be a dumb idea as if it was due to environmental damage for example, it merely opens up the area for a brand new cache and FAR MORE ensuing traffic.
couloir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: BC parks geocaching policy- Conflicting info Reply with quote

The policy was developed to provide Parks with the means to direct problem situations. I work a lot with Parks on various projects and they dont have the staffing to monitor geocaches. Generally speaking, parks with low attendance see geocaching as a good thing to increase attendance. Where complaints or concerns are seen in specific parks, the poiciy can be applied, as needed. Lower Mainland Parks are much different from Interior and Northern Parks. In massive wilderness parks, there is really no issue unless a zone has been set aside for specific use. On occasion a Parks rep has contacted me regarding a specific cache and we have worked with the cache owner on the specific concern collaboratively. We need to think of the policy as a guideline, except in high use Parks with known issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1