CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache...
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Alpine Meadow
Alpine Meadow:  [?] . In the summer, alpine meadows across British Columbia burst into colour. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache...
toplefttopfilltopright
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache...
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scaler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache... Reply with quote

...A Cautionary Tale.
A couple of weeks ago I had an appointment in downtown Vancouver. As I often do, I arrived a couple of hours early with the intent of tracking down some caches. I rarely make trips downtown specifically to geocache, so I like to grab some caches whenever I do have another reason to be there. My area of interest that day was Stanley Park, in the vicinity of the Aquarium. I had parked in the lot between the totem poles and Brockton Oval, overlooking the harbour and First Narrows. I walked over to my first cache, hidden along a short trail between the big Brockton Oval lot and Lumberman's Arch. While I searched, I noticed a Vancouver Aquarium truck parked nearby. I paid it little heed, lunch, smoke break, whatever. After finding, signing and rehiding the cache I continued along the trail towards Lumberman's Arch with another cache in mind. As I walked, I passed two Vancouver Aquarium security guards going the other way. Hmm. Nearing the end of the trail I could see the Vancouver Aquarium truck parked at that end now. Odd. Wandering back along the trail I encountered the same two security guards, standing on each side of the trail trying to look nonchalant, looking at the leaves or their shoes. I was starting to get a bit weirded out now. "You guys lose a fish, or something?" Not, perhaps, an appropriate comment. I decided to geocache someplace else and continued back towards my car but decided to use the facilities at Brockton before I carried on. Unfortunately, the facilities were closed. As I turned to head back to the car I saw one of the security guards at the entrance of the trail I had come out of! Definitely feeling unwelcome now, I returned to the car and, as I approached the exit, there was the guard at the top of the hill. I gave him barely a glance as I passed but, in my rearview mirror, as soon as I was past, I saw him reach for his radio. Fine, I'm leaving. Anyways, a few caches later, I'm back downtown at the reception desk when my phone rings.
"Hello, is this <insert my name here>?"
"Yes, it is."
"This is Constable <insert Constable's name here> with the Vancouver Police. Were you driving your black <insert car here>, license plate <insert license plate> in Stanley Park about an hour ago?"
"Yes, I was."
"May I ask what you were doing there?"
"I was Geocaching!"
"Pardon?"
So I explained Geocaching to the officer, suggested that if she asked around in her office she would find someone involved in the game and gave her the website for Geocaching.com so she could look into it further.
"Are there many people doing this?"
"Eight or nine million, I think."
When I asked if this had something to do with those security guards I had seen she explained that the area sees a lot of car break-ins and they had seen me in and out of the bushes, thought my behavior suspicious, and had called 911. The constable thanked me for my time, and hoped I would have a nice day.
At first, I was mildly offended that I should be considered suspicious. On the other hand, it's comforting to know someone is alert to possible criminal activity in the area. Then I began to think I could have handled the situation differently. Perhaps, I should have approached the guards and explained to them what I was doing? I would like to think that is how I would react to the situation next time.
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache... Reply with quote

I'm sure they were profiling you Smile Wearing shorts and pony tail past Labour Day sure looks suspicious. Next time try going out disguised as a middle aged woman muttering at something in her hand, they just roll their eyes and strongly encourage me to pay for parking. Paperbag
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache... Reply with quote

I'd find it hard to feel anything but upset at that. So much for innocent before proven guilty. In addition - who steals from cars if they have their own (identifiable) vehicle nearby?

Those rent a cop security guards need a course in public relations. Imagine - gasp - if they just spoke with you respectfully. Whole problem could have been avoided.

Idiots.
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache... Reply with quote

The worst part is that they probably phoned you to check if your vehicle had been stolen.

There are people who go into the bushes to geocache and there are people who go into the bushes for other things. I'd much rather meet a geocacher in the bushes anytime.
Rocky Banks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache... Reply with quote

I was watching the evening news last week and they did a report on the number of car break-ins in the Vancouver area. Surprisingly, the area around the Aquarium was double that of anywhere else in the city!
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cache... Reply with quote

Rocky Banks wrote:
I was watching the evening news last week and they did a report on the number of car break-ins in the Vancouver area. Surprisingly, the area around the Aquarium was double that of anywhere else in the city!

Hmmm, I wonder if those penguins the Aquarium brought in recently were vetted by the RCMP and CSIS? I've always been a little suspicious of these so-called "flightless" birds and their tendency to overdress...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1