CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Signing Logs
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Before Cell Phones.
Before Cell Phones.:  [?] . Dotted along remote stretches of hiway, there still is the occasional phone booth. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Signing Logs
toplefttopfilltopright
Signing Logs
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Signing Logs Reply with quote

An increasing number of cachers are logging their finds without having signed the log book.

Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines www.geocaching.com/abo...lines.aspx specifically state:

"III. LOGGING Guidelines: Logging Guidelines cover the requirements that must be fulfilled in order to log a find.

Logging of All Physical Geocaches

Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

An exception is Challenge Caches, which may only be logged online after the log is signed and the challenge tasks have been met and documented to the cache owner as per instructions on the published listing. Other than documenting a Challenge Cache, physical caches cannot require geocachers to contact anyone.

For physical caches all logging requirements beyond finding the cache and signing the log are considered additional logging requirements (ALRs) and must be optional."
---------------------------------------------------

Note that signing the log is a logging requirement and not optional. Logs that are too wet to sign or are missing(and you have no replacement paper)or are impossible to extract are the obvious exceptions but cachers should mention any such problems when they log their finds. The CO can then take remedial action.
Without a log signature there is no actual proof that one has found that cache and such finds may be questioned.
So, find the cache, SIGN THE LOG and happy hunting!
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Signing Logs Reply with quote

AGREED! One of my pet peeves. "Saw it but too many people around to sign", "forgot my pen so could not sign". COs have the option/responsibility to delete these logs but I'm sure most of them (myself included) roll their eyes, shrug and let them stand. The only "found" log I have ever deleted is on my challenge cache.

I'm also seeing a few more of these recently "saw a trinket on the ground, think the cache is muggled but I'm claiming it as a find".
vnm747

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing Logs Reply with quote

Totally on board! The number 1 priority, the main goal, the superseding objective, is to get my handle in the logbook. Even if the logbook is a bloated mass(MrG term), I will try and put my pen to it. Because That proves my presence! And that's how I play the Game.

And it's a Groundspeak requirement! Too many "didn't have a pen" logs these days. Get a facking pen!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing Logs Reply with quote

Whenever I see a TFTH, or TFTC only log, this is one of the things that comes to mind. How do I know that they actually signed the log? If they actually take the time to write a comment then I'm assuming they wrote their name in the book.
This is one of the few rules major rules to geocaching, and it's not like it's hard to understand! Sign the log, simple as that! (Of course there can be exceptions, as mentioned above)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Signing Logs Reply with quote

katcogo, rolling our eyes, shrugging and letting the 'didn't sign the log' finds stand(and I have done that too) obviously isn't getting the message across.

That old adage 'give some people an inch and they'll take a mile' certainly applies to some Geocachers these days.

There is not much that a CO can control in this game except for requiring a log signature.

As both vnm747 & Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat say...it's not that difficult to understand...sign the log!

It's hard to determine if these 'did not sign the log' cachers are BCGA members or whether they even read the forums but I'm sure the logging requirements message will get out into the Caching Community one way or another.
Bestred

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing Logs Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
Whenever I see a TFTH, or TFTC only log, this is one of the things that comes to mind. How do I know that they actually signed the log? If they actually take the time to write a comment then I'm assuming they wrote their name in the book.
This is one of the few rules major rules to geocaching, and it's not like it's hard to understand! Sign the log, simple as that! (Of course there can be exceptions, as mentioned above)

I haven't cached in I don't know how long and I haven't been in the forums for probably the same.
But I have some TFTH and TFTC, and I am a little offended :S
I would never do that.

Unfortunately, I have a memory, well ok, a lack of one. Mainly the reason, I am still at only 800+ finds instead of over 1000. I have all my finds almost since the first ever Tulameen Event to log....I just keep forgetting.
And when I finally remember, I forget what the cache was about....and the only way that I remember I did the cache was because TESKELLY logged it and I was with him.
So what do I say?
Well, I type TFTC and *huggles*

but because of posts like the first one, etc. I don't much bother signing anymore, and because I have found, I am re-finding caches I have all ready found, that I haven't logged yet.
For some of us, it isn't about the smilies, it is about the fun.
But alas...not everyone realizes that. Smack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing Logs Reply with quote

If people start deleting the logs then people will learn.
Should I find such an occurrence i'll delete it no problem.

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
Whenever I see a TFTH, or TFTC only log,
Hey thats me Shifty
I always try to say something but with premium caches I dont bother. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1