CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Awarding Favourite Points
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Swans of Lonesome Lake
Swans of Lonesome Lake:  [?] . You might remember a book called "The Caruso of Lonesome Lake" where Ralph Edwards saved the BC Trumpeter swans from extinction from the 1920's to the 1950s. It was almost required reading for our generation in elementry school in the 70s. Edwards cabin burnt down in the BC fires of 2004. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Awarding Favourite Points
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Awarding Favourite Points
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

What makes a cache worthy of a Favourite Point?
The view...the experience...the cache container..???

I like to award favourite points for all the above reasons and especially to new cachers for their efforts.
But then I wonder why folks are not giving points to caches that are so deserving.
Do cachers just forget to give these cudos?
Are favourite points hoarded and then awarded or not based on whether the cacher likes or does not like the CO?

Sheesh....a good cache is just that and favourite points are not like gold that should be saved for some rainy day.

I can see my Epitaph now....'She had a lot of unused Favourite Points...why? LOL
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

The location, the experience, the hide itself, a clever puzzle... however there are other instances where I've given out points for none of the above reasons.
There's been a few caches I've found that weren't really special in any way, except for the fact that they were very clean and well maintained caches... So I gave them a favorite point for their efforts.

There are also caches where I too think to myself "That was such a great cache! How could multiple other cachers not give it a favorite point???". Who knows... their decisions... I really hope that it's not because they don't like the CO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

Usually I give out the points for a great hide, a fun puzzle or just being brought to a spectacular location. A clever or well crafted cache container can also be awarded a favourite.
Sometimes I don't award it even though it was a great cache. The reason is that somewhere along the way a guideline was not followed....like screwholes being drilled into live trees in order to hang a birdhouse or the final cache container being buried. I would feel awkward awarding a favourite to something that didn't meet the guidelines.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

It really is a mystery, isn't it? Maybe part of it is just forgetting...????
Illegal caches won't get a fav point from us either, even though others seem to think otherwise or maybe it's just that they don't care.

Generally, even though we do not necessarily agree with a CO's caching behavior and iffy policies...if their cache has merit, a favourite point is given.

Gotta love cache creativity, except when it heads into the 'they should have read the Guidelines' area.
We found some really creative caches today and they all got a well deserved favourite point. Then, after logging x number of caches we were awarded yet another favourite point. Ack! Wish they could be traded for cach! LOL
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

I am so grateful for others awarding favourite points to caches because when I go caching in unfamiliar areas, I pretty much go for the caches with the high percentage of favourite points and leave the rest alone.

The downside is, I have found so many awesome caches - and given favourite points out of my own that I have a huge deficit of points! You earn them after logging every 10th cache? That's not enough for me! I have a long list of caches I have found that are worthy of points I simply don't have to spend. There are people who don't spend theirs - can I have them please. Jester Jester
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:
... can I have them please. Jester Jester
I have 48 left and will trade for their equivalent in gold. Razz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:
There are people who don't spend theirs - can I have them please. Jester Jester

If I could give them to you I would. Personally, I don't really see the point in favorite points. I've allocated a few, but I still have 341 unused. Kind of like the newish 'Challenges', I just don't bother with them.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

I'm behind in awarding fav points. Every so often I sit down and go through my finds and award favs. Like Cuddlefish I use favourite points when traveling to choose some of the better caches in an area. Now that I've been reminded here I go.... If I run out I'll take some from archived caches.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

I'm afraid I tend to remain blissfully unaware as to which (if any) of my caches have received favourite points (Sorry Cuddlefish, I know you have graciously bestowed a point upon more than one of my caches and I am appreciative. Kiss ). And without checking my profile page Magnify , I'd have no clue which of my caches has received the greatest number of points. (INATN)

I will freely admit I don't "award" favourite points as often as I should (I have only used 10% of them so far!) and if I could share them I would! I prefer to experience "the thrill of the chase", as it were, by reading an interesting log entry. Cool Perhaps that's why I tend to sometimes write such lo-o-o-ong stories when logging my finds. I share with the CO some of the fun I had searching for the cache. Present I guess I tend to click on "favourites" only when I'm in a hurry and can't write a suitable (to my eye, anyway) log. :paperbag:

I think it would be seriously très cool (I know that's redundant) if there was a way to record karma points instead of favourites! I have been known to go out of my way to perform necessary maintenance on any cache I find in rough shape, but I do have an ulterior motive. Whenever I provide a little TLC, I'm hoping my caches also get a little TLC in return from my fellow cachers, and so far I have been very pleasantly surprised. A few of you out there have really gone above and beyond the call (sailaboat, omasue & Cristo9FP in particular)! Thanks again! Medal
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

Cuddlefish, maybe Geocaching.com needs to award even more points. Perhaps a bonus system like getting 5 favourite points for every 100 caches found, and 10 for every 1000...??? Sounds doable.

I like Highlander 71's idea of Karma points!!

hollyburn...GREAT idea on reclaiming fav points from archived caches!!! I've also taken back points from caches where the CO promised(a long time ago!) to fix/replace and has not.
icdgirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Awarding Favourite Points Reply with quote

I use favourite points to let other cachers know "this one is worth your trouble". Usually it's a higher terrain cache that involves a bit of a hike or going out of your way, so I want other cachers to know, if you are only going to do one cache in the area, pick this one! And it's a way to thank the CO for the work involved in finding and placing a cache in an appropriate "cacheworthy" spot. I award one for maybe every 20-30 caches I find.

On the flip side, I wish there was a way to award a thumbs down for a cache...ones that have had multiple comments about a wet or full logbook, broken container, no reply to inquiries if it is still there. I have seen some caches with "needs maintenance" attributes for over a year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1