CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Blitz 2012
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Molly's Reach
Molly's Reach:  [?] . This historic diner, featured for 19 years on CBC's famous TV show, "The Beachcombers", is a cultural mainstay for many Canadians. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Blitz 2012
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Blitz 2012
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grafinator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Any thoughts on when the 2012 Blitz will launch?
I know some people like to put a lot of work into their caches so a proposed start date might be helpful for those who want to start planning their hides for this year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

The new executive - who have been in office for an entire 9 days - will be meeting tonight to sort out priorities, time lines and dates for the year, including the Blitz.

Thanks for asking - stay tuned!
anakerose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Michael (LordEd) jokingly asked me that on the way home from the AGM. Smile
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

LOL Didn't we just have the AGM?

I guess it appears you guys will have some eager people you can ask to help out with organising the Blitz!
grafinator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Part of the reason I am asking is because I leave for Africa in 2 weeks and might have to hide my caches, write the cache descriptions, and ask the reviewer to launch them for me while I am gone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

News article just posted . . .
Fonty Family

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Now that the Blitz announcement is made...

The executive is pleased to announce that there will be a related BINGO game that will be associated with the Blitz also.

Watch for that announcement also in the BINGO forums!!

scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Goodie Goodie. Now I can get my devious plans finished. **snarfle** I really like the idea of awarding a prize for voting. Perhaps people will be more inclined to vote for a cache this year.
grafinator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Blitz 2012 Banner with embedded link for voting is available for the cache pages yet?

I am looking for it but can't find it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

grafinator wrote:
Does anyone know if the Blitz 2012 Banner with embedded link for voting is available for the cache pages yet?

I am looking for it but can't find it.

We just got it made, but I don't believe it is online quite yet, should be any day!!
Chris
BCGA VP

grafinator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Ok thanks!

I am very slow with html so like to get an early start.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

grafinator wrote:
Ok thanks!

I am very slow with html so like to get an early start.

We have an awesome webmaster, so a quick cut and paste is all that will be needed.

plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Will there be a newsletter/email put out to the membership so everyone knows the Blitz is on?
I just found out by visiting the BCGA site I have added it to my PGCachers Facebook Page as well as on the PGCachers website.

Looking forward to this years Blitz I have been working on a few hides
Fonty Family

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Newsletter is coming out shortly, just "crossing the Ts and dotting the I's"

dragonflyer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm really new to this whole blitz thing... When people vote for a blitz cache do they say what category they're voting for it in? Or if I place a blitz cache is there a place I have to say what category I think it should be in?
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

When people vote they are brought to a page with all the voting categories with a scale from 1 to 5. They can vote in each category if they wish or just the most appropriate one. People generally don't state which category they want their cache placed in.

Some people vote for the caches as they find them, some wait until they have found a bunch of them then rank their votes based on the caches they have found. Some people only vote for the caches they think are outstanding.

You have a lot of time to place a Blitz cache but the earlier it is out the longer people have to find it and vote for it. It is fun to try for FTFs on Blitz caches as they are published in a bunch. People may need to book a day off work as May 15th is mid week Smile

My personal goal for the Blitz caches is to find as many as I can during the voting period and vote for all of them.

Hope that helps.
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Yep, it's all grist for the mill - thanks...!
soobaxM

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Do you have to be a BCGA member to place a cache? To vote on a cache?
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

You do not need to be a BCGA member to place a Blitz cache or vote for a Blitz cache but you do need to be a registered user on the BCGA website in order to vote.

We always welcome new members too!
soobaxM

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

So anyone can hide a Blitz cache but only members can vote? I didn't understand your reply LOL Shifty
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

There is a difference between being a website user and being a BCGA member. Anyone can create a profile on the bcgeocaching.com website and be able to vote for a Blitz cache. That is open to anyone in the world. A BCGA member needs to be a resident of BC and needs to have filled out an application for membership (and have that membership approved) to be a member of the British Columbia Geocaching Association, a society registered in the province of BC.

A lot of people don't recognize there is a distinction.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

After a two year hiatus I got my BLITZ on. And I even got a cache placement with two local cachers in mind who threw another one of my caches down a cliff with reckless abandonment. **snarfle** Just kidding and you know who you are. I love to tease those two cachers since they felt so guilty for accidentally dropping the cache. There's no better way to rub it in than with another cache that is equally, if not harder, than Kerplunk Cache. I'm still deciding if the new cache is a 4 or a 4.5 terrain. **teehee**

I've also been working on a series for a year now. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be ready for the Blitz. But that doesn't matter. I don't expect anyone will be able to find all the caches in the series for months and months so rushing to get a series published for a contest would be moot.

Anyone else out there who is placing a Blitz cache???
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

What I love most about the Blitz are the beautiful gifts of caches the hiders put out for us to discover. Not quite sure where the "near death experience" fits into the voting categories.

I'm sure those two unnamed cachers are even now constructing an ammo can sized slingshot to properly deal with your new cache Smile
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

Anyone else out there who is placing a Blitz cache???
I do.

With the nice weather today, I decided to scout out a few locations using my new(well to me atleast) car. Found some nice trails and bluffs with great views. Hopefully there will be some caches in those locations soon. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

I haven't been following the blitz for the past two years, so when I was in the process of hiding a new cache the other day, I decided to check when the blitz was on. To my surprise it had not even started yet. As it is, my cache published a day too early for the blitz, but hopefully people will not cut me to ribbons if I add the info now. I'll be out of the country for the wrap up event, but I do enjoy seeing how the votes rank, even if I'd rather not win. Smile
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

No cutting to ribbons but since we made the rules we gotta stick by them. We sent a more detailed message through geocaching.com

No one is limited to only one Blitz Cache though!
koakai

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Oh well. That just forces me to make another monster. Now where di I put the welder....
Raygar

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Ive got one of three planed Blitz bits of fun out today
hope everyone likes hiking climbing and darkness lol
The Stainless Steel Rat
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

I have a question regarding the addition of caches to the voting list.

On the "Newest Caches" list at the bottom of every page here, there are currently only 13 B12 caches listed. When I do a search for "B12:" on geocaching.com (Hide and Seek A Geocache), I get 40 caches (the last 2 aren't blitz caches). So far, the only caches to be added to the voting list are these 13 that are showing on the "Newest Caches" list. My 2 caches were published just before 12:30, so I would expect they'd be among the first to be published. I'm wondering how the caches on this "Newest Caches" list are determined? Why those 13, and not the others?

I'd like to suggest that maybe it would be better to use a cache search like I linked to above to more reliably capture the blitz caches. This "Newest Caches" list doesn't seem to be doing what I'd expect, and is either slow at capturing or missing new caches.

I just find it frustrating to have my cache go for many hours, picking up finds, but not be enabled for voting. I've encountered the same thing for 3 years now. These finders may attempt to vote, fail, then never try again. I completely understand that they need to be manually added to the voting list, and those doing so don't have unlimited time. I appreciate the work they're doing, since the blitz probably wouldn't happen without their contributions. It's just that there is a complete list of all current B12 caches available through geocaching.com, but the list being used is an incomplete one.

Just thought I'd vent a bit. I feel better now. Mr. Green
mike&lily

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

How come none of the mid island (IN) blitz caches are showing up on the bcga website under the newest caches in bc list and when I click on the voting link I get this for all my blitz caches .
The cache id is not valid registered with the BCGA as a blitz cache. Please contact a BCGA administrator.
I have clicked on the voting button for several other caches on the mid island with the same result
Is there a glitch or have we all made the same mistake
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

The problem is with Groundspeak, not with our website. We used to be able to grab info on new caches practically live from the geocaching.com website. Groundspeak stopped this a couple of years ago. There was a similar lag last year. There must have been a cutoff between later caches and the first 13. They should be up tomorrow morning.

There is an up to date bookmark list of all the B12: caches.

Thanks for your patience - it is not a conspiracy by the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley against the Island Smile

BLITZ ON!
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Thanks for responding katcogo. Just to let you know, the bookmark list hasn't yet been correctly linked to on the voting page. The link is bogus.

I do have to ask, though, if all the caches have been added to the bookmark list, why isn't that being used for adding the caches to the voting list? It just seems dumb to me to use a list that is known to be incomplete when a complete list is available.
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

As an update to the situation - we are still having problems with the interface between Groundspeak and the BCGA website. We are working on the problem and hope to have it resolved soon. The geocaching.com bookmark list and the entry of caches into the Blitz are similar but function differently. The caches need to get into our Blitz voting system and then a human (me) adds them to the correct region.

When the caches did not show up first thing this morning as expected, I manually added the GC#s of the 31 missing ones which should have brought them in but didn't. It may or may not be a coincidence that Groundspeak did a system update yesterday.

Thanks everyone for your continued patience.
vanislelady

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

koakai wrote:
Oh well. That just forces me to make another monster. Now where di I put the welder....

Oh I wished you were here or I was there!!
Magicman65

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

katcogo wrote:
As an update to the situation - we are still having problems with the interface between Groundspeak and the BCGA website. We are working on the problem and hope to have it resolved soon. The geocaching.com bookmark list and the entry of caches into the Blitz are similar but function differently. The caches need to get into our Blitz voting system and then a human (me) adds them to the correct region.

When the caches did not show up first thing this morning as expected, I manually added the GC#s of the 31 missing ones which should have brought them in but didn't. It may or may not be a coincidence that Groundspeak did a system update yesterday.

Thanks everyone for your continued patience.

They just this moment(1:26 pm) came online
Go and vote for your favorites!!!

Magicman65
BCGA VP

Magicman65

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Magicman65 wrote:

They just this moment(1:26 pm) came online
Go and vote for your favorites!!!

Magicman65
BCGA VP

OK, not all yet, just 29 of them....I am sure the rest are coming soon though

katcogo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

All 42 Blitz caches published to date are now in. Don't ask me what we had to do to get them in. Will keep an eye on new ones to make sure they are updated within 24 hours of being published.

Now - go get them!
Raygar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

thanks for making this stuff all happen for us to play~
TSSR
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

Not a problem! We were geocachers long before we were BCGA directors - we love the Blitz - we want to vote too! Beanie
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012 Reply with quote

One of the problems with scraping the groundspeak site has to deal with when the caches were submitted. Don't quote me on this but if I remember right the BCGA bot scrapes the first several pages of new caches on Groundspeak. If you submitted the cache a month ago, the BCGA's automated system will miss it because it doesn't dive that far into the groundspeak system. Someone has to look for your cache by hand.

One way around this is after your cache is published, change the date on the cache page to the date it was published. That brings your cache up to the newest of new caches on the Groundspeak list and the BCGA bot has a better chance of catching it. The BCGA bot can't go deep into groundspeak's system due to the fact that groundspeak no longer allows scraping of their website.

On another note....

Wooo Hoooo. Katcogo & Cuddlefish. There's a cache calling your names. Oh, woooo hoooooo. **snarfle** Don't forget to take photos while you're there. The insurance company will probably need them. Oh how I tease and taunt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 2