CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We WILL Come
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Predator Ridge
Predator Ridge:  [?] . Breathtaking views near Vernon. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We WILL Come
toplefttopfilltopright
Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We WILL Come
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We WILL Come Reply with quote

You have been burning the midnight oil in your fiendish cache-creation workshop all winter waiting for your moment to set your creation free. You have burned out numerous brain cells creating a puzzle so devilish and perfect cachers will say your name in vain at just the thought of it.

Your time has come . . .

The Blitz is Back Baby!

Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside!
If you Place it We WILL Come

Hide Period May 15 – July 3
Voting Period May 15 – August 6
Awards Event Dates August 18/19

This year due to popular demand we will return to cut throat competition that you all know and love (apparently).

The categories will be as follows:

OVERALL (best in BC)

CAMOUFLAGE / DISGUISE
INNOVATION
HIKE / VIEW / SCENERY
EDUCATIONAL SPOT / ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS
CACHE PAGE CREATIVITY
PUZZLE CACHE
NIGHT CACHE
SERIES

NEW for this year – Vote & Win – for each vote you make, you will receive an entry into a prize draw

The fine print (ie the Rules):
1. Placing a Blitz cache is open to any cacher resident in BC.
2. Votes may only be cast for caches on which the voter has logged a “found” log. Votes may be cast by any user registered on the bcgeocaching.com website, they do not need to be members of the BCGA
3. All caches must have the preface B12: (such as B12: Rubber Ducky) so that they can be easily identified and added to the voting list.
4. Caches may be placed in advance with a note to the reviewer that they are Blitz caches to be published after noon on May 15.
5. To be eligible for Blitz voting all Blitz caches must be PUBLISHED by midnight July 3. Give yourself and your reviewer enough time to properly review your cache.
6. Micro caches are permitted if they form an integral part of a larger cache container, or are stages for a cache with a larger final.
7. Prizes will be awarded in each of the following geographic areas of BC:
- Lower Mainland (LM)
- Fraser Valley (FV)
- Island North (IN)
- Island South (IS)
- Thompson/Okanagan (TO)
- Kootenay/Boundary (KB)
- North (NO)
8. Up to 3 prizes will be awarded in each category depending on the number of caches placed and votes for those caches in a particular geographic area.
9. If caches are not placed in a particular category in a particular geographic area or receive no votes, no prizes will be awarded.
10. There will be one overall prize awarded for the cache judged to be the best in BC
11. BC Geocaching Association directors may participate in the Blitz but are ineligible to win prizes.
12. Any rulings made by the BC Geocaching Association directors will be final – because this is supposed to be fun!   full article.
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

Maybe I'm really dumb (although I didn't think so...), but it's taken me three years to figure out more or less what the Blitz is. This is an instance of what has seemed to me the website's generally working better for people who have been around for a while and already have information on most things. The Blitz rules are comprehensive as the fine print, but essentially assume everyone knows what it's all about. I think it would be really helpful for the Blitz page to give a brief description at the beginning to explain the concept and the process to newcomers. Here's my current understanding of it:

For the Blitz, cachers place special caches, designated and identified as Blitz caches, during a limited time period. From the time these caches are published until a specified end date, any cacher who finds a Blitz cache can cast a vote for the cache in one or more categories via a link on the details page for the cache. When you vote, you will be taken to a page listing the categories so you can rate the cache on a scale of 1 to 5. At the end of the Blitz, Prizes are awarded to cache owners on the basis of how many votes each cache receives.

If I still don't have it right, I'd appreciate more clarification. I think it would also be a lot easier to get more of the newer cachers involved if there was an explanation of how to list a Blitz cache; eg I haven't been able to find instructions anywhere as to how I would go about putting the voting link on the page.
Magicman65

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

dragonflyer wrote:

If I still don't have it right, I'd appreciate more clarification. I think it would also be a lot easier to get more of the newer cachers involved if there was an explanation of how to list a Blitz cache; eg I haven't been able to find instructions anywhere as to how I would go about putting the voting link on the page.

Hey Dragonflyer,
to place a cache it is the same process as placing a normal cache that still needs to be reviewed, but just put the B12:Whateverthenameis
Also we will have the button for voting up on the website and all you will have to do is copy and paste it on the bottom of your cache page.
I hope this answers some of your questions, if not...shoot me an email at cymagic @ shaw.ca and I will try to help with what I can.

Chris Yuill
Magicman65
BCGA VP

dragonflyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

Thanks, Mr. Magic - that is indeed useful information I'm glad to get. Does the page have to be in HTML to cut and paste the vote button on it?
Magicman65

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

dragonflyer wrote:
Thanks, Mr. Magic - that is indeed useful information I'm glad to get. Does the page have to be in HTML to cut and paste the vote button on it?

Your whole page does not need to be, but you will have to check mark the box that says HTML, and then it will show as a little box. Then when someone finds your cache, they just click the box and it links to the voting site.

Chris

CraigsWorld

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

How far before May 15th will we be able to find the vote link button on this site. Would like to fine tune everything well in advance.

CraigsWorld

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

The voting button WILL be up shortly! PROMISE!

Looking forward to all the great caches for the Blitz!
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

2012 Cache Blitz Full Information can be found here:

INFO

2012 Cache Bltiz Full Instructions - including the voting button html can be found Here:

INSTRUCTIONS
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2012: Let’s Go Play Outside! If you Place it We Reply with quote

Woohoo! I'm actually getting a bit excited about this - love doing something new!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 1