CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Virtual Tourist Bingo!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rogers Pass Cenotaph
Rogers Pass Cenotaph:  [?] . The Rogers Pass Cenotaph is dedicated to the completion of the Trans Canada Highway on September 3, 1962. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Virtual Tourist Bingo!
toplefttopfilltopright
Virtual Tourist Bingo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

As a special treat, the BCGA is taking you on a trip around the world! The next fun-filled edition of Bingo is Virtual Tourist. A clue will be revealed on your Bingo card. You must decipher it and identify the GC# of the Virtual Cache the clue refers to. No need to leave your computer screen, this is an armchair Bingo.

The pattern is Around the World, aka Large Square, aka Large Frame – you must fill all the outside squares of your card.

Some tasks may be easy, some not so much. Some are in famous places; some are well off the beaten path. They were mostly chosen as they are interesting places and/or interesting caches.

So, relax and enjoy the ride! No lost luggage, no language problems, no surly security staff wearing latex gloves. As always, have fun and travel safe. You may request a check of your answers before you call BINGO.

Winners within the past 12 months may play but will not be eligible to win prizes. What are the prizes? A brand new soon to be released BCGA 2011 coin as well as the ever popular 2010 BCGA coin.

Watch for it . . . coming very soon!
  full article.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Bingo game is up and running. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

katcogo wrote:
A brand new soon to be released BCGA 2011 coin

I have to assume that that is a typo. It is the last week of 2011 and there is no coin. Of course you meant 2012.

You meant you will have a brand new coin early in January that is "2012" for a full year rather than a current dated coin for one week.

If not, whoever is in charge of BCGA marketing... you're FIRED.

Looking forward to the 2012 BCGA geocoin.
vanislelady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

oh...it's not a car... it does not have to come out a year in advance.... Laughing
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

The caches these clues refer to are all Virtuals, right? No traditional caches or earthcaches...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

That is correct, each clue refers to a SPECIFIC Virtual cache. There may be traditional or Earthcaches nearby but I am looking for the GC code (and name would be nice too) of the virtual.

Happy Dabbing!
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Ooooh, I hate puzzles but now I must play this BINGO game. I would like to win the new edition BCGA coin. Bring it on and draw more. 10 draws, only one square for me. Speed it up. SPEED is what we need. But only if my card gets green squares **snarfle**
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

I may throw in an odd draw or two to keep people on their toes while out Boxing Day shopping Smile
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Thanks maxonthehunt - I was wondering if the clues were too hard. Obviously not! Well done (so far)!
maxonthehunt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Touque Thanks for the fantastic game! Having great fun around the world!
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

This is actually a puzzle I can do! I am usually left staring at the screen dumbfounded. This is not to say I'm doing it right, **snarfle** But I do like traveling around the world. More draws. More more more. More squares must be revealed. Yep yep yep yep yep.
Oldgala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Very Happy We agree with Scruffster. This is a puzzle we can do from the computer. and don't have to dig a cache out from the snow. "More squares please" just hope some of them are right that we have entered Thank you for the puzzle
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

I hope everyone is enjoying this bingo game.

I was sending messages to players when I saw they had an incorrect answer but now since things are heating up and there are more players, I will only check cards on request, at any time.

There have been some interesting answers, keep 'em coming!

Good luck to all and happy dabbing!
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

How is everyone doing with their Virtual Tourist Bingo cards? It is still anyone's game as most people still need a number of draws to get the big square on their card. I may do some extra "snow day" draws over the weekend.

Remember - only Virtual caches qualify, if you find a traditional or puzzle that you think fits the clue, keep going, you need to find that little ghostie.

It is also amusing to see that some people have the right answer for the wrong square. Remember, read the entire clue. Also, if there are potentially other caches that fit the clue the cache I identified is the only one that will qualify. You can request that I check any or all of your answers at any time via email treasurer @ bcgeocaching.com

Good luck, and happy dabbing!
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Here is an update on the game so far. . .

Most players still need between 5 and 7 squares to be drawn. There will be the usual 3 winners for this game.

Put your thinking caps on, get those nimble fingers roaming the world and get those squares dabbed!

Happy Dabbing!
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

So where the hell do I go to find the rules for this game, and how to enter my finds on my card? (Which it took me an hour to find how to get to, and I don't think of myself as being particularly dumb...) I've found one of the virtuals, but nohow can I figure out where to put it! Arrggghhhh!!!!!
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

I see you have figured it out! Anytime anyone wants me to check their card send me an email at treasurer @ bcgeocaching.com. I may be throwing in a couple more draws over the weekend since it is so nasty out (at least in the Lower Mainland).

Good luck and happy dabbing!
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Thanks, Kat - apologies for my abrupt, shall we say, tone... I was feeling really exasperated, and in truth it wasn't the first time I'd felt that the site works better for people who are already familiar with it. Exacerbated by frustration with Groundspeak maps, which were being problematic in trying to find things in unusual areas... I'm actually enjoying all the interesting things I'm finding out in searching out there for the bingo solutions - what an amazing place this world is! Thanks for all the work you do on this project...
Mumsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Fun bingo...We're even "touristing" on the squares that aren't required to go around the world. Still 3 squares to go, plus the corner one that eludes solution and the one that's probably wrong Detective ....thanks for an entertaining bingo!
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Oh my! Things are sure getting exciting in the world of Bingo!

A number of drawn cards have all the required squares revealed. Are these players saving their answers to enter all at once or have they taken one look at the tasks and decided they are not up to it?

There are active players who are stuck on 1 or 2 particularly tricky squares - you know who you are and you are all stuck in pretty much the same spots!

A lucky draw here, a flash of inspiration there, who knows? At this point pretty much anyone can win!

Remember, there will be 3 winners for this round. Remember to stretch your mouse-operating hand frequently to prevent injury!

Happy hunting!
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

My Goddess, how many draws are there? I can't begin to imagine how much work it must have been to put all this together, Kat! I will bring you goodies! (Lemon squares?)
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

There are a total of 25 tasks which appear only once under each letter. That would make a maximum 125 draws. There have been 112 draws so far. On my card (no I am not playing ;)) I still need 3 draws.

Goddess? I like that. I think that is a promotion from Countess!
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

A note to all the frustrated Bingo players - "that darned square" is solvable - someone found the correct answer!

Well done dragonflyer!
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Which is not to say dragonflyer doesn't have her own nemesis...!
Mumsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Aargh. Still waiting for my penultimate square to be revealed. Treasure In the meantime, I continue my attempts to solve two elusive squares that are on the "inside". Amazing how many interesting places I've been with all my incorrect "insights" Laughing Thanks again for the frustrating fun! Congrats to Dragonflyer Trophy
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

You people are smart. I gave up after a few squares. **sigh**
maxonthehunt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Shifty When you get really frustrated you just start going thru all the countries! I'm almost finished the Bs! lol
loungelions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Pretty sure I got one or two wrong, but all the needed squares are filled.
Katcogo...can you check my card before I call bingo?
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

I feel so mean!

Sorry people!
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't think you were meanie if you just gave me some of those really cool coins for trying. **snarfle** Maybe the next BINGO will be a little easier.
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

OK - to help put people out of their misery (or deeper in) . . .

*SPOILER ALERT???*

Here are a few more obtuse clues. You may chose to apply them to whichever square you see fit:

You may wish to consider what would be #1
Make sure you wear your hat
Would you drink this liquid? I think not.
This was written a few months ago
Have you virtually visited others?

Generally - the path to some squares can become clearer through the creative use of Google.

Happy Hunting!
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

So now that the final winner has been determined here are the answers to all the clues. This game covered virtual caches on every continent. Check them out - they are all pretty interesting places.

Onions & Spilled Blood poor Tsar - GCGNHF St. Petersburg's Most Beautiful
His best friend Ed works in the sewer - GC832C Busman's Holiday
2 ladies, a torch and a breezy candle - GC63DB Liberty's Flame
GZ as it were since 1884 - GCK7HH Royal Observatory Greenwich Cache
Hey Chuck, why does the souvenier shop sell bits of concrete?! - GC9A6E Historic Words
Too hot to be cool - how come the location keeps moving too? - GC3E4E Hot Rox
A Little Boy fell here on Aug 6 - GC4B51 Paper Cranes
Near the place you cannot go, don't expect to get anywhere fast here! - GCA20A Beijing Rickshaw
Do geometry here? Sorry Tassie, think I'll just enjoy the view - GCD402 Trigpoint Scenes 1
Oh my! That's a gamble Emperor Caesar, who is your tailor? - GCB0EB Toga Party
"The Island of the Pelicans" - GCF7A2 Escape From Alcatraz
You may want to find this before Dec 31 or it may be gone - like all of us. - GC29B5 The Mayan Ruins Of Tulum OR GCG9MY El Castillo (a better answer than my original)
East is East and West is West so for the twain to meet requires remarkable engineering - GC6CD6 The 8th Wonder of the World- The Panama Canal
"Better Than Disneyland" this Mickey is a research project not a turtle - GCCF97 Rabida Mickey Mouse
17,920 km from Vancouver is a long way for Happy Feet - GCCFC1 Penguin Dance
Was tallest structure in world for a VERY long time. I wonder . . . - GCJG9J Cheops V
NOT a tourist hot spot. Question to answer: "What the H*** were you doing in Bo, S L anyway? - GCF7D9 Number One in Sierra Leone
In the land of giants this is #10. At ABC - GCMBEQ Annapurna Base Camp
In the middle of nowhere! B24J Micronesia - GCG0DN B-24J "Liberator"
You must post "a typical tourist photo" assisting this building to log a find. - GC8C7D Lean on Me
While cruising around these Cycladic Islands you may wonder if you are suddenly much farther northwest - GCGBQT Island Windmill
Not ZZ Top but ZZ Zee? - GCJVAA Memorial Dam
One down, 6 more to go - Africa - GCGETW Karibu! You made it!
Kia Ora, The Jumping off Point - End of the Earth - GC2423 Te Rerenga Wairua (FAR North)
HMAS Sydney - GCKQDX The Rest Is Silence
dragonflyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Many thanks to Katcogo for the incredible amount of work that must have gone into researching the clues for this game, not to mention her steadfast patience with all of us when we were unjustifiably hopeful! My brain has stretchmarks from all the things it's been filled with in the last while: the places I've been vicariously and all the things I've learned...
loungelions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Thank you, Kathy, for putting this together. You must have had fun figuring out the (mostly) obtuse clues and looking through all those virtuals. Hopefully it wasn't too much when we kept badgering you to check our answers.
I thought of the Panama canal for the remarkable feat of engineering but wasn't sure it fit with the east/west and I thought perhaps the twain was a lisp of train (like Elmer Fudd) so I was thinking the last spike in the transcontinental railroad. Should have gone with my first instinct, I guess...but that giant one was tough!
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Yes, it was fun trying to find interesting spots - and then trying to come up with a clue that made sense without giving too much away. It was designed to be a tough game - after all you did not have to drive hundreds of kms through the snow, ice and rain to find a cold, wet/frozen cache.

I started thinking of places I would like to visit, then had to make sure I hit all the continents, and managed to avoid some tourist spots. I was thinking of the Statue of Liberty in New York but there is no virtual there which I though was odd, then stumbled upon the statue of Ralph Kramden. I looked for the Eiffel Tower and stumbled upon Liberty's Flame and the coincidental tragedy that happened beneath it. Looking around Penguin's Dance I found a picture of a signpost with the distance to Vancouver - a bit of serendipity all round.

I'm glad (most) of you enjoyed the journey - I did. Checking the cards was manageable - though I felt really mean at times Smile

What's next??????
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Thank you so much Kathy, that was a lot of fun, very tricky for some as well.
I still can't believe I found the answer to NOT a tourist hot spot. Question to answer: "What the H*** were you doing in Bo, S L anyway? after searching ZZZ in Google maps trying to findNot ZZ Top but ZZ Zee?.

Awesome questions that I can't believe I missed, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that did.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Thank You Very Happy Katcogo for creating this Virtual Bingo game and taking us all over the world. Thank you for your patience in checking our guesses no matter how far off we were. We had fun

Big congratulations to the winners ~~They sure deserve the prizes Trophy

Looking forward to another Geocahing armchair bingo
maxonthehunt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Just received my coins along with my order. Thanks BCGA and Katcogo for a another fun game!
Mumsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual Tourist Bingo! Reply with quote

Thank you for my coins, BCGA and Katcogo! Virtual Tourist was a challenging and fun game! Really enjoyed the diversion. Thank you for creating it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion
Page 1 of 1