CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» New eTrex 10, 20 and 30
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Hoodoo's
Hoodoo's:  [?] . Located in many areas, some fine examples of HooDoo's can be found near Dutch Creek. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» New eTrex 10, 20 and 30
toplefttopfilltopright
New eTrex 10, 20 and 30
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: New eTrex 10, 20 and 30 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any hands on experience with these new Garmin models? We're thinking of trading in my Delorme PN40 for one. Are the touch screens comparable to the Oregons?
Thanks!
Helen
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New eTrex 10, 20 and 30 Reply with quote

Hi Helen, no hands on experience but I can tell you that these units do not have touchscreens. They have the little front joystick and side buttons. An Oregon 450 might be the better bet since they are currently only 10 more dollars at GPS City than the eTrex 30! If you want to go with a really awesome unit, I would highly recommend the Montana...
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New eTrex 10, 20 and 30 Reply with quote

Oh, that little toggle thingy! Embarassed It looked like a touch screen and I was thinking that was the way Garmin was going, so just 'figured' these new ones would be along the same lines.

I saw the Montana at GPSCity's booth at Best of the Bad and felt it was a bit too big for me. It seemed like a cross between a Nuvi and a handheld if that makes any sense.

The toggle isn't so bad, and the touch screen sucks with gloves on... hmmm. I'll continue to ponder this now I have *new information.

The Delorme PN40 works just fine (and has since I got it at GW in Tennessee) so I'm happy with the status quo for now.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New eTrex 10, 20 and 30 Reply with quote

I bought a Montana on the way home from the Mega in Three Hills, and all I can say about it is this. Even though it is a nice unit, the display is extremely fragile. Since it is as large as it is, the screen has a lot of flex to it, and is susceptible to stress damage. Mine cracked two weeks after I bought it. And I honestly don't know how it happened. Today I mailed it back for warranty work because the touchscreen started acting up. At least thats warranty-able.

Long story short, I'd advise staying away from touch screen models, or at least the larger ones. The Oregon seems more rugged since the screen is smaller and has less flex to it.

Paul S
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: New eTrex 10, 20 and 30 Reply with quote

I've had no problem with the Montana, touchscreens or otherwise. It is a bit large for sure, but is still the best unit for caching that I have had.
bomabound

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New eTrex 10, 20 and 30 Reply with quote

We have our sights set on the Etrex 30. After using the basic Etrex for so long I have grown to love the toggle button and how quickly you can move between menus. I borrowed a touch screen GPSr from a friend and really didn't like it, particularly how long it takes to navigate back and forth between menus. The only reason for not jumping at the 30 is that I have gathered you can't delete geocaches in the field. I really hate the need to constantly manage most new GPSr's from the computer. I like to be able to add what I want, delete waypoints as I please, and move geocaches (such as multis) as I please, and don't know how much I'd like the loss of this ability. I too would love to hear a review from someone who owns one of these models.
bomabound

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New eTrex 10, 20 and 30 Reply with quote

We just bought the Etrex 30 and used it for the first time today. Pretty good so far, but trying to get used to things.

One thing we find extremely irritating and hope somebody here has experience with....When a cache is marked as found it changes the icon to an open chest, but I would really like to be able to hide all found caches from the map. On our old Etrex we would just delete the cache once we found it but this is no longer possible because of how files are stored. It would be nice if there was at least a map option that would allow for found caches to be hidden. Does anybody know whether this is possible?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1