CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Bag of Swag Silent Auction
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
The Giant Hulks of Powell River
The Giant Hulks of Powell River:  [?] . The Powell River Pulp and Paper Company built an unusual breakwater by anchoring a chain of decomissioned war ships. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Bag of Swag Silent Auction
toplefttopfilltopright
Bag of Swag Silent Auction
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Bag of Swag Silent Auction Reply with quote

Has the BCGA ever done a Silent Auction as a fund raiser?

Either yay or nay to the above question, I would love to start one going.
If folks put a bag of good swag together...not costly items necessarily but interesting ones...we could hold an auction and raise some $$$ for a good cause. Is this doable?

marmi
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bag of Swag Silent Auction Reply with quote

I don't think the BCGA has ever hosted an auction. If I remember right a registered organization in BC really has to jump through hoops when it comes to fundraising through auctions and lotteries. It's not impossible to do but even draws at events need some kind of permit.

I could be way off base here. I just seem to remember someone on the board of directors suggesting a 50/50 draw and others saying that it either had to be "under the table" or a permit was needed.

The laws may be a bit more liberal now. I don't know.
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bag of Swag Silent Auction Reply with quote

A silent auction is certainly doable. It is different from a draw.

For a 50/50 or raffle draw you need to receive a license from the BC Gaming Branch. There are some very strict rules about how it must be conducted (including how the person drawing the ticket must be dressed). The funds raised must also be used for your own non-profit activities unless the purpose of your organization is to raise funds for others.

Marmi, is there a cause you think should be supported by BC cachers?
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bag of Swag Silent Auction Reply with quote

So, that means no Clown Suits Kat? lol
Homeless teenagers comes to mind.

marmi
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bag of Swag Silent Auction Reply with quote

I was talking to my Niece, 3T's&aG, about doing a Canada Wide Silent Auction to raise funds for selected Charities along with Geocaching Organizations. It sounds doable.

marmi
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1