CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching 101 events
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mountain Lion
Mountain Lion:  [?] . The Mountain Lion, also called puma and cougar, are found throughout British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching 101 events
toplefttopfilltopright
Geocaching 101 events
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

Has the BCGA got any 101 events planned in the near future? I keep getting asked to take small groups out but I just don't have the time these days...could you please advise if and when you are planning these events so I can pass along the information? Would greatly appreciate it!
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

Don't forget that the BCGA is helping out with Introduction to Geocaching walks through parks this spring. There was one at Tynehead last week. I believe two more are planned. The info is available on the Metro Parks website.

METRO PARKS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

So these are events through Metro Parks? I was just wondering if the BCGA was having any BCGA 101 events this year. I was telling people to check the BCGA site for this, I didn't realize I should have been telling them to check out the BCParks or Metro Parks sites for any information instead. Thanks for the update!
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

The executive have no plans to run any 101 events so far this year. We have been very busy helping organisations such as BC Parks and Metro Vancouver Parks with their geocaching events amongst many, many others.

In the foreseeable future, there is unlikely to be Geocaching 101 Events. We just don't have the time to organise them. Sad
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

Thanks Cuddlefish..so we are directed then to check out the parks site for any help for new geocachers? Just want to let people know where they can get some help! Appreciate your time to respond!
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

I do not want to belittle the efforts of the current Executive, as I am sure they are continuing the fine work done by their predecessors. However the Geocaching 101 events have been a mainstay of the BCGA to attract new cachers for a number of years and to offhand state that the Executive "has no plans to run them this year" seems wrong to me.

It appears to me that this Executive has inched towards being a "profitable" society (Metro Parks and BC Parks both pay the BCGA) and away from an event which costs money. I see Metro Parks is now charging for their course while Geocaching 101 has always been free.

I am fortunate to be able to cache in Metro Parks (Campbell Valley, Aldergrove Lake etc) and I visit many caches within their borders each year. Metro Parks events are a one day thing 3 or 4 times a year - that shouldn't be too onerous on anyone and the money is good too.

I looked at my history and see I have only done 5 of the last batch of 100 or so BC Parks 2008 caches. I do not see that number changing much in the next round of new caches. I do not know the relationship that the BCGA Executive has with BC Parks, but IN MY CASE and only my case, the time spent on organizing the putting out the caches for BC Parks is not worth it IN MY OPINION.

The underlying message when I read posts from the Executive is how hard they are working on our behalf with these two organizations. My question is - Why??

Why are they continuing to work with BC Parks so diligently? If we say it is too much work for a volunteer Executive is there a perception that BC Parks will kick us all out of the woods? The 2008 BC Parks project generated a lot of money for the BCGA but I seem to remember it came at a cost of Executive burnout. Can the BCGA act as a go between with BC Parks and the various local geocaching organizations throughout the province and reduce the Executive workload?

If this project stops many of the others that the membership is used to - Is it worth it?? If the Executive is having to spend so much time on them that they can't get around to a 2011 coin, work towards Geocaching 101 events, or implementing electronic voting - perhaps it is time to take a step back and reevaluate our participation in these money making endeavors.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

HwyGuy:

1. Our mandate is not to make money and when the MVP starts charging for those events, we will no longer participate in them in the same capacity. We are not a "profitable" society and we are spending those funds with prizes etc. at upcoming events. We are not trying to make money at all.

2. You had the chance to become a member of the executive as the rest of us did. You clearly have a lot to contribute, it was a shame you did not put your name forward.

3. BC is a big place. Partnerships with BC Parks allow us to fulfill our mandate as a geocaching organisation to the whole province. I just cache in Vancouver and I too have found maybe a couple BC Parks or Bluesky caches. However, many others have found them and that is fine by me.

4. They are but 2 projects we have been involved with. I am sure you have read the minutes of our last meetings to see how many other projects/workshops/seminars/events we are asked to support.

You start off by saying you don't want to belittle our efforts and then suggest that because our efforts have not benefited you that maybe we are heading in the wrong direction. It is good feedback, but unless we get volunteers to put on these 101 Events, they cannot run. Are you offering to organise and run one?
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

If anything else, having a great relationship with park boards is paramount because they are the land owners. They are the ones that have the final say whether people are able to cache in their parks. Remember, Ontario Provincial parks banned geocaching. Would the members rather that kind of relationship?

The BCGA made money off the first BC Parks initiative but they've cut the funding only to include the cost of placing the caches and giving geocachers a shiny coin. I'm not sure if there is much profit anymore. Yet, I think it's great that BC parks pays for the caches.

Newbies show up anytime, anywhere, at any BCGA event. Luckily, there are always seasoned cachers to lend a helping hand. Although other events are not specifically designed for the newbie, it's been my experience that newbies learn just as much at the Blitz event or any other BCGA event as a Geocaching 101 event.

If 101 events are not applicable for this year, I'd suggest making sure there is some documentation on hand at the other events. BCGA brochures etc. That should cover it. After all, 101 events tend to have more seasoned cachers showing up than newbies anyway.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

HighMaintenance wrote:
Thanks Cuddlefish..so we are directed then to check out the parks site for any help for new geocachers? Just want to let people know where they can get some help! Appreciate your time to respond!

I think that is one possibility. In fact I had a ball teaching a few people at Tynehead on Saturday. I know I have personally taken newbies out to geocache with them all over the place.

I have learned stuff at the 101 Events, but nothing beats going out and finding caches "in the wild" as a teaching experience. Very Happy
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

If 101 events are not applicable for this year, I'd suggest making sure there is some documentation on hand at the other events. BCGA brochures etc. That should cover it. After all, 101 events tend to have more seasoned cachers showing up than newbies anyway.

We gave out a stack of brochures on Saturday. They were a nice full stop at the end of the session.

And you are right, the newbies don't tend to be at these events as much as those seasoned geocachers that don't need a 101 at all. Wink
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

What I was trying to say is I don't see a problem if the BCGA doesn't have 101 events this year. Every event is a 101 event to a newbie.
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

I guess things have changed so much...I remember a couple years ago team running our first BCGA 101 event...TulameenTurtles, GoalieGirl and I...we had so many newbies it was a huge surprise, but we were so greatful to have so much support to help us out! I can't even name how many "seasoned" cachers helped out in so many different ways. I think that's why they come out...to see the fun and excitement of the new ones...Bringing them to the "dark side" LOL!!! It was really a lot of fun...and again...better late than never...thanks again to so many of you that helped out at the last minute...took groups out to cache...helped with projections...helped finding caches and explaining how to not leave a footprint...
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

Yes Val, I remember that session well. Mr. Co and I arrived having had a grand total of 1 found cache. I believe Cuddlefish was there too. Obviously the training "took"! Thanks for organizing - it was a fun day, even though we were a wee bit intimidated with all the well seasoned cachers there.

The new exec has had to pretty much hit the ground running with all sorts of projects that were on the boards but not yet in the works when we took over. It's hard to believe that we have only been in office for 3 months.

We will likely review our plans once we get the rest of our projects off the ground and have a chance to catch a breath.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

I think partnering with the Cities and MetroVan is actually a good model. It has to be refined, and the responsibilities of BCGA (or its volunteers) will evolve too. There is no reason the BCGA could not bring some of the resources from the Geo101 classes to these sessions. As I stated before these events just should be a little more visible here too.

Generally there are many experienced cachers willing to help newbies, but the MetroParks model seems to limit attendance to no 'instant' volunteers are there to help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Here in Logan lake we have a few cachers who are interested in putting together a Geocaching 101 style event as there are many people who have heard of caching and want more info so we thought what a better way but put on an event.
The question I have is are there resorces out there that I could get my hand on to better this event? and if anyone could offer some advice that is always welcome aswell.

Thank you
Luanne
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

5KingCachers wrote:
Hello everyone. Here in Logan lake we have a few cachers who are interested in putting together a Geocaching 101 style event as there are many people who have heard of caching and want more info so we thought what a better way but put on an event.
The question I have is are there resorces out there that I could get my hand on to better this event? and if anyone could offer some advice that is always welcome aswell.

Thank you
Luanne

Hi Luanne

There is a ton of information available through Geocaching.com. Here is a link to the official Groundspeak Geocaching guide page I think will best help you in your endeavor.

www.geocaching.com/gui...fault.aspx

When you are on the page look for the little TV icons at the end of certain topic titles. Those are awesome video's you could play at a gathering to show interested people what you are trying to explain.

There is also a page with brochures one can print and video links there as well:

www.geocaching.com/too...aspx#Guide

Hope this help's

TESKELLY
grafinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

I was thinking of holding a geocaching 101 type event in late december; rain, snow, or shine. Does anyone know of any venues in Abbotsford or Coquitlam that would be appropriate to hold such an event. It would require a building or shelter in case it happens to be raining. Hopefully a place that doesn't have a cost to use it so that we can avoid having to charge attendees.

Other Fraser Valley locations would also work if there was a local resident that would be willing to help out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

The Scout Hall we used in Blue Mountain Park was a good size and half the price of every other place we looked. I think you have to know someone who volunteers for the Scouts to get the good deal, however.
grafinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

That is one location I was thinking of, since I now live across the street.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

You just need to call the City of Coquitlam to book the hall, no scouting contacts needed.
grafinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

Do you know what the approximate rental cost is?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

No, I don't. You can just call the city and they will be able to give you all the details.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

The shelter at Mill Lake park just over from your mob events on the other side of the playground would work for you Graf. It is first come first served I believe. Our Scout group used it alot last year. Let me know if you want to add yourself to the list for borrowing the BCGA GPS's.
grafinator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

Thanks Kelly, I wasn't aware there was a shelter there, I'll have to go take a look. The GPS's might come in handy too. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

The one good thing about shelters is they are free. Of course if there is someone who rented it out they get first dibs but the chances of someone renting a shelter in December is close to zero.
grafinator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

How do I get my hands on one or two of the BCGA GPS units for my up coming event?
I am in Abbotsford until the event.

If it is too much of a hassle then I am sure there will be enough there to go around. So far no one without a GPS is coming that I know of, just thought it might be a good idea to have one or two just in case.

If not, the offer was still greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 events Reply with quote

grafinator wrote:
How do I get my hands on one or two of the BCGA GPS units for my up coming event?
I am in Abbotsford until the event.

If it is too much of a hassle then I am sure there will be enough there to go around. So far no one without a GPS is coming that I know of, just thought it might be a good idea to have one or two just in case.

If not, the offer was still greatly appreciated.

Our Secretary has them all at the moment. Please feel free to contact her and set something up and forward your date needed to me to add to the reservation list.

secretary @ bcgeocaching.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1