CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Forum Posting 101 - to be continued.
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Forum Posting 101 - to be continued.
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Forum Posting 101 - to be continued.
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

If you start with a cage containing five monkeys and inside the cage, hang a banana on a string from the top and then you place a set of stairs under the banana, before long a monkey will go to the stairs and climb toward the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, you spray all the other monkeys with cold water. After a while another monkey makes an attempt with the same result ... all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put the cold water away. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs.To his shock, all of the other monkeys beat the doggy doo out of him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys, replacing it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment... with enthusiasm.

Then, replace a third original monkey with a new one, followed by a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him up have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs. Neither do they know why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

Finally, having replaced all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys will have ever been sprayed with cold water.Nevertheless, none of the monkeys will try to climb the stairway for the banana.

Why, you ask? Because in their minds...that is the way it has always been!

Do not be afraid to use these forums to express your opinions and views – you may be sprayed with cold water from time to time, but if you are persistent and get the banana, someone will keep replacing the fruit to continue to test the theory, and you will enjoy an abundant supply of banana’s. What sometimes happens here, is not the way it has always been, nor will always be. Your voice can make a difference and is begging to be heard.

New lessons will follow as I formulate them.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

BRILLIANT!!! Smack
vanislelady

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

It would be much better if you just let it go....
vanislelady

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

But since you persist, allow me to add one....

The Wolf and the Kid

A Kid was perched up on the top of a house, and looking down
saw a Wolf passing under him. Immediately he began to revile and
attack his enemy. "Murderer and thief," he cried, "what do you
here near honest folks' houses? How dare you make an appearance
where your vile deeds are known?"

"Curse away, my young friend," said the Wolf.

"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance."
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

vanislelady wrote:
But since you persist, allow me to add one....

The Wolf and the Kid

A Kid was perched up on the top of a house, and looking down
saw a Wolf passing under him. Immediately he began to revile and
attack his enemy. "Murderer and thief," he cried, "what do you
here near honest folks' houses? How dare you make an appearance
where your vile deeds are known?"

"Curse away, my young friend," said the Wolf.

"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance."

Thank you very much for making this post vanislelady, you have done "exactly" what I have been promoting, you have expressed an opinion and I will not dash cold water on you for doing so.

In three days I will observe a moment of silence to remember those that “persisted” in order to protect all of our freedoms. Those men and women met overwhelming resistance at times but they persisted, we are the benefactors of that persistence today. One very important of those freedoms is the freedom of speech. They did not attempt to protect that freedom from a safe distance, and if you knew me at all you would know I do not protect myself in that manner either.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

We have to strike a balance between those who feel they can say anything they want (so called freedom of speech) along with the rights of people to enjoy these forums free from harassment. (Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms) We have seen it recently, on other threads.

We have policies in place to deal with that at my high school. It comes down to one phrase "Expressive not Offensive".

So how can we ask people to continue to post and share, but to do so mindful of the recipient? In the real world, it is easier, but when people get behind a keyboard they feel free to say things to others they never would do in person. There are people on this forum I have met in real life and I've found them perfectly pleasant, but I have been stunned by some of the things they have typed.

Are we sure the people who died for our respective countries did so for the rights of people to upset others with free speech? Indeed, the people who fought along side my grandfather in Europe died for the exact opposite - to protect people from those who took their opinions and brought them to an horrific and sickening conclusion.
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

A very interesting monkey parable but not very inviting to newbies. So is this what the BCGA is supposed to advocate?

"Welcome to the forums. You'll get stung but you'll learn to deal with it. And you'll learn to sting others with the best of us"

Unfortunately, this precedent was set long ago. This is the very reason we don't see many new people online here. It's the same core group that's been around for ages. The newer people are those who are more prone to banter -- encouraging the behaviour term after term.

When I meet newbies on the trails the first thing I often hear is they didn't realize how political geocaching was. The BCGA forums are often quoted as their primary source. And as a result the newbies often say they love geocaching but they are not interested in knowing other geocachers. They'll just stay out of everyone's way.

When our team reopend the forums the primary objective was to teach, inform and inspire newbies. It was to be a place to meet and exchange ideas. It was a place to garner new membership. And the forums were Disneyesque there for a while. It all worked. I doubt the BCGA is getting any new members through the forums now. And I see very little in the way of inspiration and encouragement. The BCGA is loosing people to the local geocaching groups, and with that, will probably implode in a few years anyway. I haven't seen membership grow very much. I blame the forums, in part, for that.

It's OK, boyz. You won. You will not alter your behavior one bit. You've made it clear that your right to insult and banter is more important than the betterment of the geocaching community. You've marked your turf and you aren't going anywhere. And if anyone wants to join your select group, they will have to play by your rules. You're going to make sure it is your rules even if you have to get it in writing at the AGM. You wont have any opposition. You scared them all way long ago.

Well, all I can say is I'm proud when I was on the BCGA board of directors the forums NEVER fell to the least common denominator. Not on my watch. But I don't have to worry about that any more. The forums helped build the membership from 40 to over 400 in the first year alone. I believe it was well over 500+ when we left. How much has the membership grown since? I wonder.

Welcome everyone. Come on in the monkey cache. Get sprayed. Spray others. Yea, what fun! Just consider it a hazing. It's all the rage on the BCGA forums and fully accepted.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:
We have to strike a balance between those who feel they can say anything they want (so called freedom of speech) along with the rights of people to enjoy these forums free from harassment. (Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms) We have seen it recently, on other threads.

We have policies in place to deal with that at my high school. It comes down to one phrase "Expressive not Offensive".

So how can we ask people to continue to post and share, but to do so mindful of the recipient? In the real world, it is easier, but when people get behind a keyboard they feel free to say things to others they never would do in person. There are people on this forum I have met in real life and I've found them perfectly pleasant, but I have been stunned by some of the things they have typed.

Are we sure the people who died for our respective countries did so for the rights of people to upset others with free speech? Indeed, the people who fought along side my grandfather in Europe died for the exact opposite - to protect people from those who took their opinions and brought them to an horrific and sickening conclusion.

Selective free speech is just another form of censorship, the battles have been fought to allow for free speech “period”. Those that fought did not say “I will fight for your freedoms with these limitations”. Those that fought alongside your grandfather were fighting for the freedom of all people, the freedom from oppression and all that oppressive societies inflict on those weaker than themselves. The Canadian men and women who fought and died overseas did so for “all” who might be oppressed or abused, and to put an end to the horrific happenings there, in doing so they allowed us to enjoy the freedoms we have today.

As strongly as I support the freedom of speech, I am not promoting the freedom to post in these forums anything that is abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws.

If I have crossed that line, then please point it out to me and I will correct it, I do not mean to offend, I believe I am entitled to question and to post an opinion, which will most certainly be contrary to the opinion of some others.

I would welcome the opportunity to continue this discussion in person, but our banter back and forth here, while respectful, really serves no purpose other than to monopolize this thread. I respect and welcome all contributions to any discussion as long as it does not restrict or diminish someone else’s point of view and is presented in good taste. I simply will not respond to the last post, he is entitled to his opinion also.
grafinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

I personally have never argued that people should be able to say whatever they want in these forums. There is no room in these forums for foul language, harrasment, racism, sexism, Star Trek, or anything else that would be offensive to the other users of the forum.

I personally think there is a difference from being able to say what you want, and being able to have an opinion and civilly voice it without having to worry that your opinion will be removed from the forums as though it is a cancerous thought that needs to be removed before it metastisizes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

That's just it. People should be able to voice their opinion without insulting others. When a thread turns into a bashing contest then the whole thread should be axed. And that is just what happened. People were too busy "voicing opinions" they didn't see that the overall threads were bashing the BCGA executive. That just isn't right. The fact that they were being bashed partly due to inaccurate information is just a detail. If you took those forums and inserted Grafinator or irlpguy or Scruffster or Malibooboo in place every time the BCGA was mentioned on those forums, the naysayers would be singing a totally different song.
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

Actually, that's a good exercise. Next time you want to talk about the BCGA insert your own handle into the text. If you wouldn't want anyone to talk about YOU that way, then chances are the post isn't very nice. Remember that the BCGA board of directors are people with feelings, not Borg.
grafinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

Resistance is Futile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

...And people devoting their own personal time so that you and other members have the right to express yourself in these forums.
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Posting 101 - to be continued. Reply with quote

After reading through all these threads, here's my opinion:
This has gone on long enough. Move on. Go out and find some caches.

As for posting on the forums: If you don't want your post deleted, choose your wording carefully. You've been warned many times now that if your post includes an insult against someone else, you run the risk of your post being deleted. Therefore, if you don't want it deleted, don't insult. It's not that hard to figure out when you think about it.

I used to enjoy coming to these boards and reading about what other BC cachers were talking about. Now it's just a bunch of bickering. I'll keep visiting in the hope that it will clear up, but it seems there are some "pot stirrers" at work here, and it might be a while before they get bored.
(I've had this for a while, and I finally have a chance to use it here: )
Very Happy

Now, I'm going to exercise the freedom that was earned by our veterans, and go find a cache in the morning, and the mood on this forum will have no bearing on my enjoyment of doing so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1