CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» Recommend a Cache —» Visitor help!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mountain Lion
Mountain Lion:  [?] . The Mountain Lion, also called puma and cougar, are found throughout British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» Recommend a Cache —» Visitor help!
toplefttopfilltopright
Visitor help!
Do you have a cache you would like to recommend? Post it here with the name of the cache as the title of the post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Recommend a Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VickyTH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Visitor help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone from the other side of the country!

I will be visiting the city of Vancouver (and surrounding areas) for two weeks at the beginning of November and was wondering if you can give me any direction.

While I can certainly create a pocket query and find any number of caches in the areas that I will visit, I am looking for suggestions as to truly beautiful places to go caching. I am also wondering about safety; where should I be okay caching on my own and which areas of Vancouver/Burnaby would be best avoided.

I love to hike, am in great shape and have never visited BC before. I will have car access, but would rather not spend all my time driving.

Any suggestions as to must-see caches?
Thanks for any help offered!
Vicky (in Newfoundland)
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

VickyTH wrote:
Hi everyone from the other side of the country!

I will be visiting the city of Vancouver (and surrounding areas) for two weeks at the beginning of November and was wondering if you can give me any direction.

While I can certainly create a pocket query and find any number of caches in the areas that I will visit, I am looking for suggestions as to truly beautiful places to go caching. I am also wondering about safety; where should I be okay caching on my own and which areas of Vancouver/Burnaby would be best avoided.

I love to hike, am in great shape and have never visited BC before. I will have car access, but would rather not spend all my time driving.

Any suggestions as to must-see caches?
Thanks for any help offered!
Vicky (in Newfoundland)

I really liked Pacific Spirit park and surrounding areas near UBC. Great trails and lots of caches, including BC's first cache (GC1DD).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

I second the Pacific Spirit Park recommendation. That is my backyard and I have several caches there.

There is no unsafe area to go caching really around here. Just some spots are prettier than others.
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

There are many places of interest and beautiful walking trails on the lower mainland. However, I picked a few based on the sheer quantity of caches. You mentioned that you don't want to drive so once you hit these spots you can basically park and stroll.

1) Stanley Park -- doesn't have a high concentration of geocaches for a park so close to the city centre but a walk around the seawall is a must for a first time tourist. Lots of pretty vistas, history, art and perhaps the best view of downtown on a nice day.

2) Pacific Spirit Park / UBC -- home to British Columbia's oldest cache and the infamous Wreck Beach. I don't think you'll see many nudists in November, however. After finding a few caches the Museum of Anthropology is a great place to see West Coast native art.

3) Iona Island -- There is a beautiful walk on one or both spits out into the ocean. You're actually walking on the pipeline that takes Vancouver's sewer water out to the ocean. This is a sunny day low wind walk. If it's windy or rainy, forget it. You'll be miserable half way through. There is a high concentration of geocaches and this area offers an walking experience like no other in the Lower Mainland. Once at the end, you really feel like you're in the middle of the ocean.

4) Burnaby Lake -- Take bird seed. Piper Spit is one of the only areas in Vancouver where people are encouraged to feed the birds. And in turn, the birds flock to the area during migration seasons. There is literally a cache every 161 metres around this lake. It'll take a few hours but you'll get 60+ caches to add to your count.

5) Belcarra Regional Park -- There are three power trails in this park. My favourite walk is along the ocean. It's a well maintained trail with some hidden beaches and the remains of squatters shacks. Another high concentration of geocaches. If you take Ioco road you'll pass what is left of the historic company town of Ioco.

6) Bunzen Lake -- This is the closest you'll get to a true BC mountain lake close to the city. Mountains jut out of this lake. There are a few caches within walking distance of several parking lots and if you're feeling adventurous there is a mountain hike around the west side of the lake on the Des Vistas trail.

7) Lynn Creek -- No trip to Vancouver would be complete without visiting the North Shore mountains at least once. Upper Lynn Canyon has a high concentration of geocaches. I've been up as far as "The Amorous Trees" but I've been told the hike gets a lot harder after that. The good thing is it's all downhill on the way back. Mid Lynn Canyon has a cool pedestrian suspension bridge that is worth a visit. Lower Lynn Canyon has fewer caches but there are some cool tunnels carved into the hillsides and the remains of some frontier homes.

8 ) Cypress Mountain -- This park has perhaps the best view of the Vancouver area right to Washington State. This is a clear day cache hike. If you decide to go to Eagle Bluff you will not be disappointed with the view. Bring a snack for the two resident ravens who like to join people for a picnic. Along the way there are miniature mountain lakes dotting the landscape. This is not an easy walk. The trails are maintained but not easy in parts. For this trek, along with any outlying areas in Vancouver, Bear Spray is a good thing to have along.

An honourable mention also goes out to the town of Steveston which has the highest concentration of innovative hides. There are some fun caches there. It may be further than you want to drive, however.

Lighthouse Park (West Vancouver) is also a nice area. Lots of geocaches, an interpretive forest describing native trees and, of course, the historic lighthouse. Lots of geocaches and if you take Marine Drive, it's a very pleasant drive (when there is less traffic) with some fun caches along the way. Marine Drive is most scenic drive from Lighthouse Park to Horseshoe Bay.

I hope this helps.
VickyTH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

Wow! Folks, this is just wonderful! I had looked at some of those areas, but it's hard to know what they'll *look* like in reality. Topo and sat images just don't do them justice. I should be able to have a lovely time and bag a nice few caches in some beautiful spots while I'm there. Two weeks may not be enough time...... Smile

I'll be bringing a bagful of TBs and coins along, too!

Thanks again!

Vicky
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

Amazing post Scruff! Makes me want to go play tourist in our own city! I haven't cached in most of the places you've mentioned!!!
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

Wow, I vote scruffster for president of geotourism Vancouver. What a great post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

Wow...awesome...now I from VI needs to head to the lower mainland and do some caching,,,,
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

Scruff - great post - I can vouch for 2, 3, and 8 personally!
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

I've done them all. Fantastic spots. I am so lucky I live where I do. Smile
JesseVader08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Visitor help! Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I live in Kelowna, but the next time I'm in Vancouver, this will be a great reference as to where to focus my efforts.

Again, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Recommend a Cache
Page 1 of 1