CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching Challenges
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Revelstoke
Revelstoke:  [?] . Carved Grizzlies frame a town square in Revelstoke. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching Challenges
toplefttopfilltopright
Geocaching Challenges
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

So now that this new feature has been unveiled, what are your thoughts about it? Do you like the idea, or could it use some improvements?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Geocaching to me is about playing outdoors and using a GPSr to help you do so.

These challenges involve neither it seems, and so I find it hard to swallow that they are lumped in together with geocaching, numbers and all.

I completed a challenge today that was promptly archived. It was to write to groundspeak and tell them their challenges were a bad idea.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

I think the problem with those Photo Challenges was that the location was not specific. I think we'll start seeing better ones as time progresses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Challenges are a variation of "go outside and play" which to me pretty much sums up geocaching. I kind of like the "go somewhere and do something" idea.

Some of the challenges are kind of fun. Some of them are ridiculous/stupid. I don't like that you can't see what ones you (or anyone else has done) on your general profile. I expect they will get better. Some are location specific and some are time specific (ie do some particular thing at the Block Party). I see that there were people posting completions for things that happened way before the challenges came out - ie a CITO event months (or more) ago.

The idea needs more work - I feel like we are the beta test. Groundspeak seems to be asking for direction from to community to fine tune the whole idea. Hopefully Groundspeak will be inundated with "suggestions" on possible improvements.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

I created a challenge, and it didn't get reviewed, I didn't get a "hide" number... and was surprised to see if you do it you get a "find". I thought it would be like Benchmarks.

That being said I will do a few and at least get an icon.... my biggest mistake was never doing a locationless cache when I first started.
FindDee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

I feel like they're (Groundspeak) is trying too hard on this one, but maybe something will come of this. So many people have started geocaching now with phones, that it's starting to become a social network more than outdoor skills adventure.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Im kindof on the fence with this one too. I like the idea of go somewhere and do something. Thinking about there being no saturation rules on these kinda has me wondering how many will be out there in short order.

Also think it may have been a little rushed. No PQ support, you have to go through a seperate (clunky and oh my gosh slow) interface to find them and, right off the bat we have a wide wide variance in difficulty - the global "kiss a frog" - which doesnt have any location component (and is a terrible example if you ask me) vs the turtles 42 towel mission.

I created one to see what that interface was like & what happened once it was created and published. May have taken it too far with doing the YMCA but, we'll have to see on that.

I think this will probably either morph into something that will be interesting, or die off. Either way, it's a feature of the game for the time being at least and like any other part, you can engage in it, or not.

Smile
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

I did a few challenges just to be the FTC (first to complete) before Katcogo. **teehee**

This is not something I'll be actively pursuing but I can see the appeal for some people. I really liked the locationless caches when I first started geocaching. But they were reviewed and counted as a smilie. It looks like the challenges count for the over all total but not added to cache finds. I kinda like that.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Do the challenges disappear after the FTF completes them? I did three challenges. One World Wide and two local. The two local challenges disappeared after I claimed them. The World Wide challenge is still there.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
Do the challenges disappear after the FTF completes them? I did three challenges. One World Wide and two local. The two local challenges disappeared after I claimed them. The World Wide challenge is still there.

How can you tell whick ones are world wide? I did one to see what would happen, and it's still in the list when I search for challenges.

Me I think this is more lame than exciting. I thought they turned this kind of stuff into waymarking. I fthey wanted to implement this again why not just absorbe waymarking back into geocaching.com
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

On the right hand side there are options -- Worldwide Challenges or Near me.

Challenges get archived if they're flagged enough. So we either have a lot of local stick in the muds or people are clicking on the flag without knowing what they're clicking on.
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

I think a very large number of challenges were automatically archived as not relating to a specific spot (like the 5 way stop sign - even though I know where one is).

Most of the ones I flagged yesterday to do are no longer available. I was however FTF when I was able to convince my co-workers to dance a jig for 10 seconds with me in front of the info sign at Granville Island.

The rules are quickly changing and becoming more thought out. Like when there were over 5000 votes to return exact log dates - that was quickly "fixed" (as bingo administrator I threw a lot of votes on to that one).
savant9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Ya scruff, the century photo challenge one was mine. It wasn't location specific so groundspeak axed it. Apparently they are the only ones permitted to make "worldwide" challenges. It would be nice if you could still view them even after they get archived.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

I have the opposite problem, I want to get them off my list but can't.
savant9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Groundspeak is fixing it so you can remove them.

blog.geocaching.com/20...-feedback/

"We will soon be adding functionality to allow you to remove ‘Acceptance’ and ‘Completion’ logs you’ve entered, if you choose to do so."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

We are down in Seattle for the Block party event and they incorporated some for the event. I do like the idea but my focus will still be to hunt for the physical caches and if I see a cool Challenge that interests me then it just adds to the game.

Yes I want to keep my "find" stats separate from the "completed" stats but that's just me. I see on my stat bar that my finds are still separate but my Login box shows a total. I can live with that too.

Like anything... there will be pros and cons to the new Challenge feature and some cachers may like them and some may not. In the end we all have the choice to include / exclude them into the game. Having typed that.... yes I have published my first Challenge (CFX44) Jester

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

We were down at the block party too & spent an extra couple days wandering around Seattle. What we found out when we got back, was that we'd actually gone right by a couple challenges.

It would be SO nice if they could be something we could PQ & load up to the GPSr...
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Yes, so hard to keep track of those at the Block Party - especially being disconnected (you'd think Seattle would be full of free wifi). I spoke to well over 15 Lackeys but only discovered the ones I liked, got 1 photo with one so missed out on that one - does Signal count as a Lackey? Walking by the draw bridge and someone said "that's a challenge" so grabbed a quick pic there. Don't think there will be that high a concentration of challenges in one small area for a long time.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

I created a challenge cache that seems to have disappeared. No notification as to why just gone. My opinion now is that these are lame and the launch even lamer. I think Groundspeak is reaching for new things to keep itself fresh this was a lame attempt.
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

If Groundspeak thought that there would be such a backlash to the challenges they never would have launched just before the Block Party - they certainly got an earful. We spoke to many Lackeys including OpinioNate, Jeremy, Moun10bike and we even found the folks responsible for the user interface hiding on a back street. The word seems to be that they threw it together in about 6 weeks and decided to let it evolve in real time rather than spend 6 months and still having everyone hate it.

If challenges were not location specific ie - attached to a particular set of coordinates they were automatically archived very soon after the launch. Now the only challenges that have no specific coordinates are worldwide challenges and the only people who can create those are Groundspeak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1