CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Review a comment Oregon 450
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Lotusland Lotus
Lotusland Lotus:  [?] . Butchart Gardens [M | C]  Minter Gardens [M | C]  Sun Yat-Sun [M | C]  VanDusen [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Review a comment Oregon 450
toplefttopfilltopright
Review a comment Oregon 450
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountainsideman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

When out caching with my Oregon 450. If I find a tb or a coin, I'll post the tracking number to comment on the log attempt. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to view that information later on. Any help would be much appreciated.
savant9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

You cannot view or edit it on the gps, but you can after you hook it up to a computer. Your field notes are stored in a file called geocache_visits.txt in the /Garmin/ folder of the gps. Just open with notepad or if you upload the field notes to your geocaching.com account, you can also view them there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

That works great I was able to print out every find and trackable number as well. Thanks SO MUCH!!
skifast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

Just wanted to make sure that you also know that you can upload all of your field notes directly through GC.com. Click on "Field Notes" and go and find the file as described above. Hard to remember how we used to keep track of caches through a day!
mountainsideman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

I was at the Best of the Bad last weekend and I heard that you are able log all of your finds directly to geocacheing.com from your 450 instantly, if this is true please advise.
savant9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

-Connect your gps to your computer
- go to www.geocaching.com/my/...notes.aspx
-Hit the choose file button
- go to the gps's /garmin/ folder and select goecache_visits.txt then hit ok and upload
-they will all be listed there and you can go directly to log each one and it will auto fill the date and the "found it status, you just need to fill in the text of the log.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

Thank you so much for posting this. I have had an Oregon 200 for over a year now and am still learning so many useful and interesting things I can do with it. What a difference this will make while out geocaching.
skifast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Review a comment Oregon 450 Reply with quote

Mountainsideman: Correct, except for the "instantly" part. The field notes save the date, time, "found/did not find/needs maintenance/unattempted" (I think that's it?) and when you upload them through GC.com, you can open each log directly into the "logging" page...the same page as you normally use to log a cache. The difference is you don't have to navigate to the cache page, then click the "log your visit" button, select the date & type of log...it's just ONE click away. Then you enter your log as per normal. Each log still requires some logging, it's just WAY easier to keep track of them (they appear in chronological order), so the logging is much less time consuming and you don't need to keep a piece of paper with you to keep track of where you went during the day and what you found/DNF'd.

As an aside, I use the optional note after logging a find to include a quick comment about the cache (if on a day of lots of finds where I might have trouble remembering it or distinguishing it from others)...also a good place to put trackable codes. That way you know where you picked it up, and can just cut & paste the code at the computer to log the trackable.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1