CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O!
toplefttopfilltopright
Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O!

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

G E O B I N G O Game 10
BC Parks/Blitz BINGO

Here is a Bingo game where you start with good luck! The pattern is a 4 Leaf Clover. Fill in the yellow squares in the pattern AND the free square in the middle. There will be familiar tasks to keep you on your toes, and there are some tasks to encourage you to go out and find BC Parks and B11: Blitz caches All tasks must have been performed on or after JULY 11, 2011 (as the squares are revealed on your card). The ONLY exception being B11: Blitz caches – we will accept logs back to the date of publication for those only. You may only perform a task after that square is revealed on your card. Tasks performed before the square is drawn will be invalid. Get outside and find those BC Parks and Blitz caches!

There are 2 REALLY great things about this game.

1. There will be 5 yes 5 winners! There will be the Grand Winner and 4 runner’s up. So when a Bingo is called draws will continue - keep playing until all winners have been announced and verified.

2. The prizes! Each winner will receive not only a BC Geocaching Association 2010 regular coin, they will also win a much coveted BC Parks 100 coin!

Scruffster set a very high standard as Bingo meister but has regrettably retired from Bingo in order to keep his day job. Thanks for all your hard work in the past.

The new judges do not sit at their computer all day and all night so it may be a few hours before a response is made to a forum post. Draws will be 2 per day to start and may increase

So - draw your card and start playing!

Remember

Play Fair ~ Have fun ~ Good luck!

full article.

Last edited by katcogo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing back BINGO!!! It's always fun.

Ooooh, oooh, ooooh. I have two tasks already. Now I better read the rules before I start claiming finds. **teehee**

S.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Hmmmm... Task #1: Find an B11 cache. Alright, sounds easy enough, except that the closest B11 cache is 30km away. Smack
I'll see what other ones I get... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
Hmmmm... Task #1: Find an B11 cache. Alright, sounds easy enough, except that the closest B11 cache is 30km away. Smack
I'll see what other ones I get... Smile
That's only a 9 hour walk!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

I was originally thinking the free square cache would be "place a B11: Blitz cache" which would have been better for you but not so much for other people since Bingo started after the hiding period!

No - you can't log your own Wink
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Just a clarification to the standing rules of Bingo:

all tasks with the exception of B11: Blitz caches must be performed after July 11 but may only be performed after a square has been drawn on your card.

ie - if you did something on July 12 and the square that relates to that isn't drawn until July 20th you cannot use that task for your card.
savant9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Guilty Smack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

So how does one get a bingo card.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

ajogger wrote:
So how does one get a bingo card.

www.bcgeocaching.com/

look to your right.
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Just in case anyone was wondering, BCGA directors may play Bingo, we just can't win. Sad I'm too addicted to it not to play along. Beanie
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Just a little clarification, please. Can I use each cache find just once per card? For example, let's say my card has one square that says "Find a B11 multi", another square that says "Find a cache with attribute of thorns", and another that says "Release a trackable". I go caching and find a B11 multicache that's surrounded by Himalayan Blackberry vines, and I drop in my brand new TB. Now, am I faced with a decision as to which square I should fill in, or can I mark off all three?

Thanks!
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Sorry you can only use a cache and/or trackable once despite how many squares it fits. If necessary you can edit a previous square if the cache/trackable fits better into a new square.

Go out and play!
hollyburn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Wow I finally got a square and of course it is one I don't need. Maybe I will have better luck with the next game.
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

The one thing to remember about Bingo draws is that you can go for days without a green square then get a bunch all at once. It's not how you start but how you finish that matters Smile
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Sigh!

Since I'm a GeoBingo noob, I was really looking forward to playing along, but I'm still stuck at 5 green boxes after 32 draws! Aaaargh!

I guess I just have to keep repeating to myself, "Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue..."

Sigh! Paperbag
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Believe it or not, there are people who would be very happy to have 5 green squares after 32 draws - especially if they are squares that count towards the bingo! There are some players whose card seems to be working very well towards a cross pattern - which are (with the exception of the "free" square) totally useless for this game.

Have no fear, law of averages you will be getting more squares soon!
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Just a heads up to all Bingo players - This is a Blitz Bingo so you may find some squares will appear on your card that relate to voting.

Remember - Blitz Voting ends at midnight Tuesday, Aug 2

If a square relating to voting shows up on your card after the voting period ends and you have not completed that Blitz task (ie. voted before the deadline) you will not be able to complete that task.

Consider yourself warned
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Uh oh. There might be a few BINGO players that will feel that a 24 - 48 hour warning is not enough time for a requirement they may or may not have to perform in order to win the game. Especially since it is a long weekend and many cachers are on vacation.

As a person who has hosted several geo contests I've noticed that when geocachers see what they believe to be a foul in a contest they tend to get angry, yell, stomp their feet in a tantrum deluxe, howl at the moon, and ultimately blast into Linda Blair pea soup spewing demonic possessed convulsions. It isn't pretty.

So it might be an idea to take the path of least resistance and change the Blitz voting requirement into a free square (although even that might not be totally fair to people who have already filled the square). I just don't want to see angry geocachers wielding torches and pitchforks showing up at poor Katcogo's door in the night.

This is only a suggestion. Who knows. History may not repeat itself and everyone may be O.K. with the warning. It's hard to tell with these things.
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

I was just assuming that people are hanging on every Bingo Draw Smile People should have been finding Blitz caches just on spec that a square may come up that they may have found. I've noticed that there are FAR more people finding Blitz caches than there are voting for them. The vote is your thanks to the cacher for putting out a beautiful Blitz cache as a gift for you. The least you can do is return the favour by voting (and perhaps being able to mark off a Bingo square).
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

I tried to put in some remaining votes but I get "The blitz event voting has closed."
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

We are working on getting the gremlins out of the system. Stand by! We have to get it back up - I was waiting till I got all the Blitz caches I could before voting - I haven't done it yet!
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Me too. Shame as there were some great caches I wanted to vote for too. Sad
Raygar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Vote for 3 B11: Blitz cache OR find a series with at least 3 stages
stages being caches? or a multi cache with several stages though thats not a series
lol im confuesd after a long day of caching in the sun, thanks for any help
TssR
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

If you did not get your 3 B11: Blitz votes in on time then yes, you will be looking for a series, not a multi cache. The series must be entirely done after that task is drawn, you cannot continue a previous series. Clear? Perhaps not.

This is the concession to very limited voting tasks drawn before the Blitz voting ended.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Since I only modified that task early today, I just changed it to 'go rub some poison oak on your arm while caching'... or something like that Wink . If anybody went out and did a series in the last 6 hours to fulfill that task, I apologize. I was not checking emails and did not get the wording for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Players will note of course that actually FINDING poisonous plants is the easy part - finding the attribute warning you before you actually walk through them is the tough part Wink Ask me how I came up with that task . . .
Raygar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

thanks for the info
TssR
Raygar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

oh im pretty good at finding ouchy plants, you should see my poor legs in blackberry season, not pretty.I think im too scarred to notice poison ivy on my legs anymore hehe

It may be my that im almost into my second apre caching pale ale but I cant find this specific atribute:

8)Find a B11: Cache with the attribute not 24 hours

maybe i need that second Pale ale lol
thanks for the game and the fun!
TSSR
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

This hasn't come up for me yet but I can't find it either, maybe it should be not Available at All Times (not 24/7) as in my cache coord.info/GC10F41
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

GSAK is your best Bingo friend. You can search for pretty much anything in it, including attributes and caches with trackables. You may want to look at caches in Metro Vancouver Parks as an example, as well as Hollyburn's link.

Don't be discouraged anyone, there is still a long time for this game to run.
Raygar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Thanks!
I have uploaded Gsak and even a few macros for it but Ive not got the hang of it yet
easy GPS works for me as an interface for my old Magellan and data organization but its pretty basic.
I do see the enhanced atribute of not 24 hours now though Smack
thanks for the super fast replies
and adding this fun bingo to my caching fun!
Charlie and his angels

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Will GSAC interfere with Vantage point? We have two different GPS's and we use Vantage point for the Magellan. I would like to use GSAC for the Garmin but am afraid the two will conflict.
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

GSAK just resides on your PC, you can do your searches on there. You would be downloading caches to your GPS, I don't know anything about Vantage Point but I can't see any problem other than it will overwrite your data.

I'm probably not the best person to comment about GSAK as we have a love-hate relationship at the best of times.

Oh, and searching for trackables - GSAK can search for caches with trackables listed in them though it won't tell you that a particular traveller originated in Finland (for example).
Charlie and his angels

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. Guess i will go check it out.
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

BINGO UPDATE

Here is an update of where we are in the Bingo game.

The largest group of players still require between 7 and 10 squares to be drawn, then of course the players need to complete the task. There are a few players who need fewer squares but not all of them are actively playing (or at least they haven't entered their tasks).

Of course with fewer squares on a card left to be drawn the odds that a needed square gets drawn diminishes.

In short it is still anyone's game! Remember there will be 5 winners for this game.

Go outside and play and get those tasks done!
911turbos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Is it possible to have more than 2 draws daily as it seems to be going quite slowly.
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

There may be random extra draws from time to time in the next little while . . .
maxonthehunt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

There was only one B11 blitz cache in our area and the next closest are one mountain pass away and a 3 hour drive. Anyone else out there with the same problem???
32fordroadster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

For this Bingo task - Find a B11: Cache with the attribute not 24 hours - does that mean the attribute 24/7 with a red line thru it must be displayed on the cache page?
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcing – the return of G E O B I N G O! Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion
Page 1 of 2