CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Empty Caching logs
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
S.S. Sicamous
S.S. Sicamous:  [?] . The S.S. Sicamous, the largest remaining steel-hulled sternwheeler in Canada, is located on the southern shores of Lake Okanagan in Penticton. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Empty Caching logs
toplefttopfilltopright
Empty Caching logs
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

What is it about new(mostly) Cachers logs that say nothing...not even TFTH or TFTC..or thanks for anything? The logs are blank...and I suspect that the Cachers are close to being blank too. I don't expect Cachers to enthuse about each and every hide that they find, nor mark them as a favorite but surely they can acknowledge the time and effort that the CO goes to in order that they can play the game of Geocaching. A blank log on a find is just insulting.

marmi
nenners

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:
What is it about new(mostly) Cachers logs that say nothing...not even TFTH or TFTC..or thanks for anything? The logs are blank...and I suspect that the Cachers are close to being blank too. I don't expect Cachers to enthuse about each and every hide that they find, nor mark them as a favorite but surely they can acknowledge the time and effort that the CO goes to in order that they can play the game of Geocaching. A blank log on a find is just insulting.

marmi

I have found that it happens when people use the phone apps. Not all realize that it logs & marks found too (the person i was with didn't & she quickly fixed that up).
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

Yes, those logs are very annoying. I got one yesterday that was just a ".". Can people not write at least couple more letters to spell TFTH or something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

Before phone caching an empty log or a "." was interpreted as "I think your cache sucks" by the CO. Something for phone cachers to consider. Its a good idea for COs to keep in mind that a blank log doesn't necessarily mean that anymore.

Another thing I am noticing (I'm assuming phone caching too) is that there are duplicate logs, or DNFs incorrectly entered as finds, and occasionally finds posted as DNFs.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

katcogo wrote:
Another thing I am noticing (I'm assuming phone caching too) is that there are duplicate logs, or DNFs incorrectly entered as finds, and occasionally finds posted as DNFs.

Or, as I have received in a few instances of log-by-phone, quadruplicate log entries, although not so much lately, so maybe they're still working the bugs out.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

I'm tempted to assume that if someone never actually wrote in the log they found it, that they posted the log in error and delete it. Maybe then they'll take notice that they are posting blank logs all over the place.
savant9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

I just send the cacher an email with no subject and nothing in the body.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

savant9 wrote:
I just send the cacher an email with no subject and nothing in the body.

NICE!!!!

Chewy_06

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

I like the Savant9 approach!

There's another possibility that might be happening in some cases too - because groundspeak doesnt give CO's updates when cachers edit their logs, it's possible that they might be logging the find from the phone & updating with verbage later that evening. I dont think i've ever actually seen this on any of my caches, but, I do know of a cacher who posted short logs from the phone & edited them later, not sure if they still do.

I know i struggle some times saying much more than TFTC when the CO hasnt exactly put any significant effort into the hide, cache page. I usually reserve this for caches I'm not particularly impressed with (for any number of reasons) or caches in a long string (although, i also usually try to change those up a bit, have put a couple of "hi mom's" into those ones!)
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

"."
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

MaliBooBoo wrote:
"."

Aw nuts, you beat me to it... Beanie
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

In these cases I like to encrypt the blank logs. I find once you decrypt them, whole paragraphs of previously invisible material will suddenly appear!
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhh! I had tried applying heat to see if the ink would suddenly become visible...
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Caching logs Reply with quote

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! You folks are just too funny!!!!! Apparently Technology has out smarted us all and we have been left behind. In some ways I find that disturbing and in other ways I find that beyond my comprehension. But in other words...who the heck cares? We've been out to our caches so many times because of...."I was here for 15 minutes without luck...is it even there?" "MY Iphone took me here and the cache was not found." Can you imagine what this world will be like when these 'Tecnological Wizards' are calling the shots?

marmi
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1