CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Island Spirit 2012
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Fort Steele
Fort Steele:  [?] . Fort Steele is a Heritage Town, where visitors can travel back in time to the 1890s and enjoy daily re-enactments of the town's past history and heritage year-round. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Island Spirit 2012
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Island Spirit 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

A small group of local cachers are planning a geocaching event called Island Spirit 2012 which will be held on the weekend of July 7th 2012. We have secured the entire Cowichan Fairgrounds for the weekend of the event because it will be large, very large... in fact it will be a mega event, quite possibly the biggest in Western Canada! Our goal will be to top the Best of the Bad... and they're rooting for us!

We have a wonderful geocaching community on the island that is social, involved and enthusiastic. We live in a beautiful region, rich in culture and history and we'd like to share that with our geocaching friends from the island, the rest of BC, Washington State, the prairies and places further afield.

There are a lot of great people in our communities, who like to get involved in one way or another. Our leadership team would love to hear from you if you may be interested in helping out at some point. We're going to need help in the fields of activity planning and management, sponsorship and corporate relations, marketing, and creative writing. We will need volunteers for the event itself, and a host of other things. We invite you to let us know if you'd like to be involved in some way. If so, please let us know what your particular interests are and if you can offer expertise or an experienced hand in any particular area. We are also interested in hearing about any ideas you may have about what you think would make a great event.

The Island Spirit leadership team consists of Chris and Helen Edley (Landsharkz), Mark and Robyn Byrne (Gecko Cacher and RV Traveller), and Tom and Heather Furlotte (Coast to coast to coast, and Toby and Me). You may contact any of this group with an expression of interest if you'd like to be involved.

There will be a lot going on in 2012, including the 100th anniversary of Duncan, BC. The theme of the event will be to present a rich Island experience which highlights the history and culture of southern Vancouver Island, and in particular the Cowichan Valley.

Feel free to chip in, ask questions and start promoting your Island Spirit!

Thank you,
Chris, Helen, Mark, Robyn, Tom and Heather.

www.island-spirit.ca
Aranea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Awesome idea & totally looking forward to it.
Will help out in any way we can!
A Smile
Aranea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

The Best of the Bad have promotional banners that are an easy "copy & paste" to put on our caching pages.
I have put them on all our old and newly published caches.
I think that would be a great idea for the Island Spirit.
As soon as the Bad is done, I would love to replace it with the Spirit promo's.
A Smile
Aranea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Does the Island Spirit 2012 have a facebook page?
Also might be an idea.
A Smile
Lazonians

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Promotional cards would be good to have to place in the caches in the areas we live in or cache in. Keep me posted on any help you need in the Comox Valley.
Aranea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Lazonians wrote:
Promotional cards would be good to have to place in the caches in the areas we live in or cache in. Keep me posted on any help you need in the Comox Valley.

YES, I think that's an excellent idea.
Keep me in mind for Qualicum area.

Any way we can get on this before the Bad event?
It would be an idea to take a bunch with us and put them into the AB caches.
We personally will be spending 3 days in AB caching.
I know there are a lot of people driving to AB.
Would be good to place cards in caches along the way to the event!
What do the chiefs in charge have to say?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

I too would be very willing to post banners on my cache pages as well as promote the event.
I see many great ideas on this page...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

We do have the beginnings of a FB page, you can find it here: www.facebook.com/pages...4959216241

Cards to put in caches (like the Best of the Bad created) would be very useful - I know we went through 500 here I think, from putting them in orders to dropping them in caches and spreading them around at events. I'll put that on Chris' to do list Kiss .

A banner will also be forthcoming... Very Happy

Keep the great suggestions coming!
Aranea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
We do have the beginnings of a FB page, you can find it here: www.facebook.com/pages...4959216241

Cards to put in caches (like the Best of the Bad created) would be very useful - I know we went through 500 here I think, from putting them in orders to dropping them in caches and spreading them around at events. I'll put that on Chris' to do list Kiss .

A banner will also be forthcoming... Very Happy

Keep the great suggestions coming!

Let me know when the cards are ready.
I will drive up and get a bunch and then give stacks to cachers, if so interested.
Aranea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

***Create some nice posters and send them to retail geocaching related stores to put up in their shops to promo the event.

^^^Create an email/mailing list/newsletter to keep people up to date as to the progress and to promote and to remind people of the event, stay in their thoughts.

***Create a monthly draw to "win something/anything free, whatever that might be" when promoting the event to create mailing/email list, to do the ^^^above. Promote this on all your advertising, FB, posters, promo cards, this website, other websites, anything related to caching, all your business and personal emails, etc.

***Create a nice blurb and email link that promotes the event, short and sweet. Then ask all your geocacher friends, associates, FB friends, suppliers, etc. to post that on their walls. People love to help out, give them something easy to help with.
Aranea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

In regards to the promo cards.
Get stacks out to key people in different parts of the province, country, etc. to distribute to other cachers so that they can spread them around.

***Or create a template of all the information ready to go and send that out to cachers who you can't get access to the promo stacks. This way they can print them out themselves and place them in caches. This way you don't control the quality of the paper or the printer, but the template of information comes from you which will be correct. Keep it easy and simple.
vanislelady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

I will be heading through the Western States the week before the Bad event so could drop some down there
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Aranea, these are great ideas, thank you!

We will have one or two people working on Social Media and Marketing, but we're not going to go full steam until after we get back from Best of the Bad.

Promo cards are something we could have ready soon. I'm not sure about the downloadable template for the reasons you've mentioned, but sanctioned banners and blurbs which people can use on their cache listings, FB pages and emails would be part of the social media marketing plan.

I could see value in having some promo at Best of the Bad to let people know that a trip farther west should be in the forefront of their minds for 2012.
Aranea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Good morning Mrs. Landsharkz.

Yup, I understand that you will not go full steam until after the Bad.

Yes, promo cards are a must. This is the perfect time to get the cards out. Summer is the time when most people around here are caching.
Summer is the time when most people around here are traveling.
With the Bad coming up, a lot of BC folk are moving, this is the time to get them out.

You need a hand, let me know. Would love to do it.

Another idea is to visit all the Geocaching Associations across Canada and America and start up "New Topics" like you did here.
If you create a promo blurb of what you would like to have posted,
I would have no problem making this happen.
I have most of the association bookmarked already.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Aranea,

The core leadership group (Tom, Heather, Robyn, Mark, Chris and I) have some effective yet low-key ways to begin promoting Island Spirit 2012 at Best of the Bad. Like Best of the Bad, our major marketing blitz needs to be defined, planned and choreographed to be most effective, and to this end, the group has decided that we’re going to wait until our initial meeting with the island cachers to lay the groundwork for this.

Some people are already talking about Island Spirit 2012 and mistakenly thought it was this year (next week!). As with GeoWoodstock, and any large event, the following year’s doesn’t hit the ground running until the current year’s event has passed and we feel this is a good precedent to follow.

The promo cards, along with banners and all other promotion will include event logos and taglines and for this reason need to be carefully thought out and designed to be in keeping with the entire Island Spirit promo package (think COWWS or Best of the BAD). There needs to be a common visual look and feel to the entire event, from the initial promo cards to the Welcome banner at the event. It’s all about branding!

Have a great Canada Day weekend and hold those thoughts until August :).

Helen
Aranea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Good morning Mrs. Landsharkz Smile

To sum it all up:
You are a small group of people in charge. (I get that) Smile
This groups need to get together and plan (I get that) Smile
This group is not ready yet (I get that) Smile
This group wants to wait and have a plan for release (I get that) Smile

I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SHAKE THE FOUNDATION Smile

Promotion is a passion of mine, it is something THAT I LOVE TO DO! Smile

I have no desire to step on toes or take over the project or put my 3 loonies in to stir the pot. Smile

I gracefully will take 4 steps back, bow my head in defeat and wait until the group is ready and play then! Smile

HAPPY CANADA DAY Smile
Aranea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

www.picbadges.com/

I have a Geocaching badge on my profile.
These guys will create a custom badges, to promo events.

A Smile
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Spirit 2012 Reply with quote

Aranea,

It's all good, except for the 'bowing your head' bit.

Keep an eye on your inbox and once we have a meeting date set you're welcome to come along and participate as part of the group. There will be lots to do and as you've probably gathered we're going to be running this event like a well-oiled machine. One main benefit to planning as a group/team is that we'll all know what the timeline and checkpoints are, how we're going to get there and who is responsible for each stage/leg of the pre-event workup. Some people can take on a lot and some will take on a little, but everyone's participation contributes to the bigger picture.

Hope that's enough of the Island Spirit philosophy to keep you inspired!

Helen
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island
Page 1 of 1