CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Garmin Montana
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Garmin Montana
toplefttopfilltopright
Garmin Montana
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

New GPS unit by Garmin. Couple cool things about this unit
- Orientation can be changed from portrait to landscape
- Rechargeable battery
- Spoken turn by turn directions
- dedicated mounts for ATV's
- 5MP Camera

sites.garmin.com/montana/

Great upgrade even from my Oregon 550, but can you swallow the $600 price tag?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

Very cool, probably won't be cheap though....
I think the portrait to landscape is pretty cool, as well as some of the other features. I'm still wondering, however, if it support Garmin Chirp.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

The thing I wish I had on the Garmin 62S is viewing of images in the paperless cache pages - wonder if that is included.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

Not cheap!
The top-of-the-line model with US topo maps is $699.99! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

OUCH!! Yuck That'll put a dent in your bank account!

I do notice that the GPSCity listing shows "Share Wirelessly", which means it is Chirp compatible, but it says "NO" for "Outdoor GPS games", which means no Wherigo support. Wonder if that's because of Garmin trying to further distance themselves from Groundspeak??
Cyclepath_Cacher

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

This is off topic, but why would Garmin want to distance itself from Groundspeak?

I am glad to see a new model out though.
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

Teddy2k wrote:
OUCH!! Yuck That'll put a dent in your bank account!

I do notice that the GPSCity listing shows "Share Wirelessly", which means it is Chirp compatible, but it says "NO" for "Outdoor GPS games", which means no Wherigo support. Wonder if that's because of Garmin trying to further distance themselves from Groundspeak??

The 62 and 78 series already had Wherigo capabilities removed from the units. I suppose Garmin figures if Groundspeak isn't going to support Wherigo then why should they?

Garmin's website also notes the release of "The handheld that’ll have everyone talking" on June 1st. That'll be interesting to see. I am hoping for a new model in the Oregon line. And one that isn't $700!
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

Actually, come to think of it, Wherigo went missing with the Dakota.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

Cyclepath_Cacher wrote:
This is off topic, but why would Garmin want to distance itself from Groundspeak?

Because they now run their own geocache listing site... www.opencaching.com
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

Looks like I know wha I'll buy with my completion grant
thecyr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

I managed to get my hands on the montana 600 for testing and made a few brief videos. Overall I think it's a perfect device for the park & grab crowd, or people who spend more time on a vehicle then hiking and need to carry the device a few hundred meters.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmXs6CfebE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvRAY-_nRs
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana Reply with quote

Thanks thecyr for the tutorials! Very Happy

I bought my geowife an Oregon with camera last year and she loves the thing to death and the Montana has my interest for sure. I really loved the dog panting in the background while you were in the car Laughing

Gecko Cacher

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1