CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Agassiz Tulips
Agassiz Tulips:  [?] . Every spring the tulip fields of Agassiz and Bradner explode with colour. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching
toplefttopfilltopright
Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jollylolly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

With all the negative media coverage about our sport/hobby/obsession, it was refreshing to find this article in our local newspaper today.

Thank you to Lorrie Phillips, Public art co-coordinator with the North Vancouver Office of Cultural Affairs, for this intuitive and informative series.

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenews/news/story.html?id=8a444476-dee4-4af3-8493-732ebc43859e

JollyLolly   full article.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

That's a great article, well done!! It's refreshing to read a news story that is clear and factual about geocaching and let's people know about the great locations that are out there waiting to be discovered.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

Golly, I had to dig wa-a-ay back into the archives for this! Miner

Whew! <cough, cough> I guess I shouldn't have blown all that dust off! <cough, cough> Yuck

There's a good reason I'm bringing this article back into the light of day. I have been contacted by Lori Phillips, otherwise known as Public Art, and we have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow AM to discuss the North Van Public Art series.

She is not really an avid cacher, having created her account just to publish 10 caches and get exposure for public displays of art in North Vancouver. The series has become somewhat abbreviated and, at times, has languished due to Lori's inability to get out and perform maintenance. What began as 10 caches is now 6, with 4 having been archived. One of the remaining 6 is currently disabled, and from what I read in the logs, there are a couple more that need some TLC. This is where I will probably be invited to step in.

Some of you might be familiar with a cache of mine (GC21BZP Remember the Hilltoppers) in which I pay tribute to Public Art and attempt to add my own contribution to the series. That's how she tracked me down. Lori needs some help to keep the series alive, and wishes to revitalize it for the summer (if it ever gets here!), and beyond. In our brief phone conversation she even suggested the series has potential for expansion (there's lots more public art in North Van!). Very Happy

I'm eager to do what I can, and I hope you'll be willing to share any suggestions or improvements you might have to offer based on your past experience with this series (good or bad). Two Cents

Thanks,
Gary
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this series - and your own Hilltoppers cache. I would love to see it revitalised!
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

The series is great - the best part is that she has taken the time to explain the art. It is sad that the series has languished to the point where many people give it a pass. Is she thinking of having you adopt the caches or to just look after the maintenance?

I'm happy that you will be working to bring it back.

Good job!
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

OK, I'm back from the meeting, and I think it went extremely well. Lori has a very positive attitude and is eager for the series to thrive and grow. The caches will continue under the Public Art identity, but I have been granted access so I can assist in maintenance and development.

A couple of interesting points: the original series of 10 caches, which were all placed in October of 2007, were the work of kilrag (without his usual exhausting hike, though!), which explains how the majority of them have lasted so long with minimal maintenance. Kudos to Bob.

The other cool thing is that the Arts Office is now bi-municipal, which means the Public Art series will expand to include pieces the District of North Van, instead of focusing on the City only.

Short term plans are to get around to all 6 current caches and freshen them up - new log books, pencils, swag, and even new containers if necessary. Then the goal is to find new and interesting locations to replace the 4 archived original caches to restore the full complement of 10. Lori has provided some details on a few new art pieces in areas where caches already exist nearby (but not too close!) so folks will have an opportunity to either revisit a past favourite trail, or grab more than one cache on a single adventure.
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

That's great Gary - I think they "randomly" chose the right person!
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

Here's a thought...with Virtuals being re implemented...this would be a great way to show them off!
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

One of the most interesting things that came up during our conversation was that when Lori had attended a conference with her peers and told them how well-received the original 10 caches were, she was bombarded with questions as to how they could learn what was needed to place public art caches in their own communities. It would be great if there was someone who could put together a class for them. I'm sure Lori could provide the info on when their next get-together might be.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

Did 3 or 4 of a public art series in Amsterdam 3 weeks ago. It was a great way to cache, see the city and get some insight into what is art in different locations. In my case the ones I remember are a large rock hanging from chains, a 6 foot high complete stone house and a 3D iron sheet sculpture?? the shape of a tent or onion.

I remember them only because of caching and only went to those parts of Amsterdam for the same reason.

I have not done a lot of caches in North Van but have a couple of that series as well - Glad to see more coming or coming back.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

Did 3 or 4 of a public art series in Amsterdam 3 weeks ago. It was a great way to cache, see the city and get some insight into what is art in different locations. In my case the ones I remember are a large rock hanging from chains, a 6 foot high complete stone house and a 3D iron sheet sculpture?? the shape of a tent or onion.

I remember them only because of caching and only went to those parts of Amsterdam for the same reason.

I have not done a lot of caches in North Van but have a couple of that series as well. Glad to see more coming or coming back.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

There will be 3 new locations in the North Van series published shortly (I hope!). They will, of course, have new GC numbers but Lori wanted to keep the numbering system intact so the names will be familiar (North Vancouver Public Art Cache #2, #3, and #9).
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

Here we are, slightly more than a year later, and the Public Art series is still going strong. In my discussions with Lori, she has expressed a reluctance to expand the series with more and more caches. Instead, she feels the focus should be on the art, and we believe the best way to achieve that is by archiving select existing caches to "refresh" them at new locations.

To that end, I recently archived an original, Cache #8 along Kings Mill Walk at Harbourside Park, and re-released it beside a new art piece called Moving Up a short distance west along the North Shore Spirit Trail.

Later today I will archive another original cache, #10, which is situated in a small park in front of the Lonsdale Rec Centre. We hope to see #10 re-issued tomorrow morning at an exciting location that features a beautiful building on a breathtaking, well-designed site, with an art piece that deftly ties in with its surroundings.

I fully support Lori's idea of not simply placing more and more caches out there (it's a lot easier for me to maintain 12 caches as opposed to 20 or more!) but I do have a concern with regard to "re-using" the cache names. I know new caches get new GC numbers so the cache name isn't really being copied, but would it be better (i.e. less confusing) to uniquely identify the re-issued caches somehow? Perhaps along the lines of a version number? For example: NV Public Art Cache #10.1. What do you think?

As always, I appreciate any feedback you have to offer, whether about the NV Public Art series, or any of the caches I own personally, and I hope you continue to enjoy caching near public art wherever you may find it.
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Grab a GPS, a trinket and start geocaching Reply with quote

The North Van Public Art Series is one of my favourites. Perhaps you could name them after the art rather than number them? The 10.1 works too. I am a person whose electronics are always doing odd things (conspiring against me) so if I saw a #10 again I would probably ignore it because I had already found it.

But that's just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 1