CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» 2011 Cache Blitz?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Inukshuk - Whistler
Inukshuk - Whistler:  [?] . Maybe the best skiing in N. America, and lots of caches too! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» 2011 Cache Blitz?
toplefttopfilltopright
2011 Cache Blitz?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Just wondering if the BCGA is going to run a BCGA Cache Blitz this year? If so when? Any photo contests? Geocaching 101 or other events? It would be fun to have some contests to get things moving...just a thought...
Magicman65

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

We have been talking about the blitz amongst the executive via email. We will be discussing it more in detail at our next meeting at the beginning of April, and then putting it out on the forums for some feedback as to what worked and what didn't work last year. I did not get any caches out last year for it Smack but plan on playing this year.

Chris Yuill
BCGA VP

HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Can we get some discussions on topics, what worked, didn't work etc now? It's not going to change between today, your meeting and whenever you can post that to the forums...it might be beneficial for your team to get some input before your meeting...
Magicman65

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

2011 Cache Blitz:
We are looking for some discussion on the Blitz

1. What worked well last year?
2. What did NOT work?
3. Where prizes awarded fairly?
4. Should prizes be awarded by voting or do we pick favorite caches and draw for the best ones?
5. Should there be a size restriction on caches? (ie. No micros)
6. How long should we have to hide caches?
7. Anything else???

Let us know what you think!!!

Chris Yuill
BCGA VP

gearhedd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Love the Blitz!

Love
1) promoting great cache placement

2) recognition for the cache owners

3) finding new creative, unusual caches

Changes:

1) less categories
reason - do they only serve a small group of hides, if so remove. The TOP cache in the removed category may still have a great chance to win elsewhere.
2) limit entrees
reason - to promote the best out of us
- to incourage us to incorporate more of the categories selected
3) eliminate series as a category
- CO could just enter the FINAL
- discourage cache saturation
NOTE: Cache Series / Power Trails are fun but should not be a focus for the blitz

.....my 2 cents for now
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

What I loved about the last blitz was the extended hiding time AND ESPECIALLY the extended finding time - my goal was to find 100 blitz caches but I think my count was only 88 before voting ended.

I think this gave equal opportunity to caches that are not hidden in a clump and may require a bit of planning to go out and get.

The competitive aspect of the blitz gives us some beautiful gems to find which is a gift, and often a delightful surprise.
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

The Blitz 2 years ago was one of best caching days I have ever had. Mtn-man released all the caches early in the morning starting with the Puzzles, Multi's then Traditional's. A bunch of us took the day off work and all went around finding the new caches, it was a blast! Last year a couple of us took the day off of work and no caches ended up coming out.....
Also 2 years ago if a cache won multiple awards it got those awards, it seemed that this year it was more about spreading the awards to as many cachers as possible. In my mind (which not many people agree with!) if a cache is THAT GOOD, and won multiple categories it should win them all.

I like the Blitz and I've always put allot of effort into my Blitz caches. I think it brings out some of the most creative and fun caches.

To answer some of the questions.

Extended time was good.
2. What did NOT work?
Would like to see big morning release of caches. That way it gets people out together finding caches and socializing.
If a cache wins multiple awards it should get them all
4. Should prizes be awarded by voting or do we pick favorite caches and draw for the best ones?
Voting
I like the no Micro rule for the final but in a multi you can have micros for the other stages

My 2 cents. GC77 out.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

My thoughts:

Extended hide/find period

2. What did NOT work?

I didnt like the size restriction (no micro) - i think you can have some very good & appropriate micro hides - and there are certain areas where it's a micro or its nothing (in some cases nothing is fine, but in others, a micro is good too). If the cache is being consiered on the merits of things like hide ingenuity, originality or the cache page, what difference does it really make?

I didnt get one, so no i dont think so. Yeah, I'm kidding, I dont really have any opinions about this - i didnt enter, find or vote for prizes, i like the general concept.

This is a tough one - the popularity contest aspect exists if it's done by voting, but, on the other hand, drawing from favourites is luck based on subjectivity, which if you ask me takes a partially flawed system & makes it worse. I think maybe there's an answer in between, I just dont know what it is. Will think more on this.

Nope.

6. How long should we have to hide caches?

The hide period length isnt as important as the finding period. We all know it's coming & I suspect a few people are already scheming, building & stashing already or will be ready once firm dates are released. The finding period is the more important part & I really liked the extended period last year.

7. Anything else???

oh i dont know... what would it take to have some sort of all-star selection process & have the caches profiled on the website / some sort of special recognition for the best ones? Pick 10 or so & release a story on each monthly until the next blitz... or, something like that.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

It was terrific to give folk more time to cache them after a placement deadline. I believe there was more votes cast than ever before because folk had a chance to get them and get a frame of reference for what they were voting for. The LM, for example being so big, you needed at the very least a day, or two... for any area. Not everyone has tons of free time with work, children etc so this was fairer. Some years we'd have approx 100 placements and most folk could only go for 5 -15 before the deadline. I recall one year (even 2), when Henry and I cached the most and it wasn't even half of the placements.

2. What did NOT work?
I thought it was the best planned Blitz ever. Plenty of time for hiders, more time for finding thus fairer voting, and some great hides!

3. Should prizes be awarded by voting or do we pick favorite caches and draw for the best ones?
Has there been an issue with the voting process? It seems the fairest and most democratic. Drawing for the 'best' doesn't sound quite right. That puts Luck into the equation and I thought the Blitz was to encourage creativity and innovation, not luck like a lottery. I know there has been attempts at cheating the voting process that were dealt with. lol.

4. Should there be a size restriction on caches? (ie. No micros)
Micro's as part of a multi = no problem. As the Find itself... hmmm. Pro's and cons either way. What if the container is a micro but the outside container is bigger? More concensus/ discussion needed.

5. How long should we have to hide caches?
One month is plenty of time. If folk want to participate, part of that is being prepared for the start. If someone dawdles till near the deadline that's 'the way it goes'.

6. Anything else???
a)I enjoyed voting for the Best Log which has been dropped. It rewarded and encouraged good logs which after all is one of a c/o's 'rewards' and good reading. Logs seem to be a fading aspect but are a vital part of a cache. We have some wonderful loggers who deserve recognition and encourages more than the bland 'TFTC', sigh, imho. Logging is part of the art of caching.
b) 'second' the motion on Chewy's comment: "what would it take to have some sort of all-star selection process & have the caches profiled on the website / some sort of special recognition for the best ones? Pick 10 or so & release a story on each monthly until the next blitz... or, something like that." I love the idea of keeping the mind-set of well thought out caches year round. Quality over quantity.

Looking forward to this years Blitz and have one planned that I hope will bring pleasure....teehee.... mwhahahahaha.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I am going to offer a new model for the Blitz I first proposed last year.

What I would like to see is the BCGA promote the great caches placed throughout the year, not just during a six week period. This is not to say the Blitz should be axed. It's a tradition and should go on as usual, but it would be nice to see a slightly different format.

I'd limit the number of caches available for nomination by any geocacher during the Blitz placement period to one. One great cache. But cachers could nominate up to four more of their caches placed during the time period from 2010 to the 2011 Blitz start date.

Prizes could be awarded accordingly. First, second and third for the Blitz. First Second and third for the year. Categories can be axed. Just a vote for what people think are the best caches in general they found regardless of size or type of cache. Who knows, maybe a good micro would get in. **snarfle** This would also allow Event caches to be included.

One con to this proposal is the current voting system on the BCGA website cannot support this model. The voting system program would have to be tweaked.

Another con may be that voters may not consider voting for a cache they found months before.

Having said this, the Blitz voting system has been problematic from its incorporation -- mainly due to the fact that the voting population has been desperately low in respect to the number of people that find a Blitz cache. The voting system is also complicated. I'd propose one vote for the cache in general. A scale from 1 to 50. (1 to 5 is not enough). Make it easy and quick and perhaps the casual cacher would vote more if they didn't have to fill out a questionnaire every time they find a Blitz cache.

I've been part of the Blitz since 2005. And every year I have hopes that the Blitz will bring out the best. Some gems have surfaced during the Blitz but it's been my experience that the Blitz has been the cause of more bad caches than great ones. On the other hand, I've seen great caches placed throughout the year that have not been acknowledged through the Blitz while mediocre caches have been awarded prizes. If the BCGA wants to promote good caching throughout the year, it really isn't fair.

In the past, the BCGA wasn't big enough to host an Academy Awards type of Blitz. It was done on a shoestring for years. But the BCGA is one of the most successful geocaching organizations in Canada. It's a vibrant organization worthy of producing something unique. Not everything has to be status quo. The Blitz has never been perfect and has always been ready for a revamp.

Geocaching too has grown by leaps and bounds since the first Blitz. There are pockets of British Columbia so cache saturated that no new cache will fit in for miles. So, British Columbia doesn't need a cache placement contest anymore. Sorry numbers people, but it's true. What the BCGA should focus on from now is rewarding good placements, not trying to get people to throw more caches out helter skelter.

So, I am just asking the BCGA executive to examine where the BCGA should focus and what the Blitz should really be promoting. Not everyone will agree with me. As a matter of fact, I've been called a party pooper. **teehee** But mostly by numbers people. They don't care what they find as long as they get the smiley. **snarfle**

Should the Blitz continue to be a short term cache placing free for all or should it be reverted towards a reward system for the best cachers in BC?
ron49er

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I agree with Scruffster 100%. Last year it was difficult to even find out the results, so hopefully that can be tweaked too.
Keep up the good work folks. Coonskin Hat
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I agree with scuffster.... that the focus should be on good cache placement. And that great caches get published all year with no recognition,,, other then the new favorites list.
I believe BC could have some of the best caches around...if the these great/good caches get recognition from the BCGA with maybe a banner that could be posted on the cache page... maybe others would strive to put the best cache they can out. a WIN WIN for all

I would also like to see more then 1-5 rating for voting.
Magicman65

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

It's awesome to see lots of great info and input thus far. Last year the Blitz ran from May 2- Aug 1st, although we have not set a date this year yet.
I have already been planning a cache for myself to place out.
Myself and the rest of the executive will be looking hard at all the input, and talking about it via email's and at the next meeting. Hopefully we will figure out what will work best for everyone, so we can put out the best blitz possible.
Keep those great ideas coming!!!

Chris (magicman65)
BCGA VP

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
A scale from 1 to 50. (1 to 5 is not enough). Make it easy and quick and perhaps the casual cacher would vote more if they didn't have to fill out a questionnaire every time they find a Blitz cache.

+1
Maybe not 1 to 50 but something better than 1 to 5.

scruffster wrote:
...Should the Blitz continue to be a short term cache placing ...
Personally I've liked the short summer period for finding the caches, I think if it were to be a longer period the excitement would disappear.

What about a similar year-round sort of thing. Like other have said in posts on different threads: a monthly highlight of certain caches for each region, possibly shown through a news article or a newsletter. Those caches could be nominated by cachers who find them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

One of the interesting twist of the Blitz is that some of the best caches are puzzles, multis, and series along a hiking route. If the blitz period is too short, there are far too visits to the best caches. Urban micros get visited and may collect votes, but a gem out of the way may only see a few visits. One month was too short for sure.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I think the entire voting system should be scrapped, and simply if you place a cache, you are in a draw (by area). 1 entry per person, not per cache. Remove the favoritism, cheating, fake accounts, voting when not finding etc. You play, you have a chance to get a prize.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

CanadianBacon has a point. As he and I were the ones that started the voting system we were very surprised at the lengths people would go to win.

In the past I checked the top ten, made sure that CO's votes for their own caches were axed and carefully looked for the tell tale signs of cheating. It's quite easy to do. There is the vote mine high and vote everyone elses low technique. My personal favourite is the swat of newbies that show up during the Blitz that only seem to visit one person's caches and vote them all high. **teehee** That's a classic. There are other tactics which will remain a secret between myself and the person who tabulates the votes for the upcoming Blitz. There are bells and whistles that go off in the patterns of voting all the time. The unfortunate thing is the voting tabulators are forced to monitor the voting system. It's really quite sad when you think of it.

Having said this, I must stress that when I was tabulating, I made sure that the voting went as fair as all possible. All cheaters votes were axed in total. And that included votes from their grandparents and pets who suddenly took up geocaching.

So this is a note to people who think they can manipulate the statistics without being noticed. You know who you are. I know who you are. And you may or may not be in my Tattle Tale 2004 to 2010 Geocaching Politics in BC Book that will be published next Autumn.

I always try to alert the current executive what to watch for. It is up to them to deal with it as they wish. With some minor exceptions, the best caches and people's choice usually win in all categories every year.
couloir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I wonder if there is an opportunity to use the new Favorites function of geocaching.com as a way of voting. We are doing this for the top cache for our recent Spring Stomp event. tThe technology is there. Can it be utilized?
Fonty Family

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
I think the entire voting system should be scrapped, and simply if you place a cache, you are in a draw (by area). 1 entry per person, not per cache. Remove the favoritism, cheating, fake accounts, voting when not finding etc. You play, you have a chance to get a prize.

I have to agree with canadianbacon here...In big caching regions with relatively smaller caching communities, like Thompson Okanagan, there is more room to successfully manipulate results. I did not hide any Blitz caches last year as I wanted to see how it all played out last year. I know of at least one winner that actively solicited votes. Going as far, in their emails to state, that they had noticed that I had visited their cache and had reviewed the cache votes and determined that I had not voted on their caches to date

How do I know this? 1) I reviewed the list of winners and have seen their name and 2) they did try to solicit my vote by e-mailing me directly when the blitz was going on. In my mind, given the low vote totals in certian categories and regions, this likely tipped the scales in their favour in certain categories.
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

There is something to be said for using the favourites function.

Upsides
#1 you can only vote once for a cache
#2 you have to have at least 10 caches to earn a vote
#3 you have to have found the cache to vote
#4 less administration for directors/admins

downsides:
#1 newer cachers/active favourites users may not have too many votes accumulated to use for the Blitz - may hand out votes with an eyedropper
#2 votes are public
#3 it is a yes or no, not a range of best to not so best
#4 hard to put caches in categories unless cachers self declare where they want their cache to be listed
#5 votes can still be manipulated

Interesting discussion - please keep it up!
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I kinda like using the Favourites function. Yes, it is public which would be a little anti climatic. People will know who is in the lead before the prizes are announced. However, everyone can see who votes for favourites and it would drastically eliminate any cheating.

One down side. Don't people have to be premium members to use the Favourite function on Groundspeak? It may appear a little bit elitist. But if anyone wants to rig votes they'd have to pay a minimum of 10 dollars a vote to do it. **lol**

You could also base prizes on overall favourite votes (for Blitz) or overall favourite votes divided by the number of Blitz caches people put out -- which would probably be a bit more fair.
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I was chatting with a fellow cacher yesterday and the topic of cheating on the Blitz voting came up. I can't believe that people would actually try cheat the voting system in a low-key fun event like the Blitz.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Team K1W1 wrote:
I was chatting with a fellow cacher yesterday and the topic of cheating on the Blitz voting came up. I can't believe that people would actually try cheat the voting system in a low-key fun event like the Blitz.

Yes, many a family member, pets, in-laws, grandma's suddenly took up geocaching and voted for only one or two caches, after it was the only cache(s) they EVER found! Amazing eh?

As a former organizer, and often a helper to the executive all I can say is that neither I nor they volunteered to spend that much time reviewing votes. That's why I suggest it be based on participation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

The data never lies.
Freakonomics
vanislelady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I am actually amazed that someone would go to those lengths to win....Hopefully mine won on their own merit...
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

vanislelady wrote:
I am actually amazed that someone would go to those lengths to win....Hopefully mine won on their own merit...

I'm sure it did! The only tactic to mess with someone elses votes is to vote it down, no matter how good it is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I cant speak for all Blitz events but the two I tabulated were fair. I personally checked all the top winners and made sure there was nobody purposely skewing the statistics. If I saw an obvious sign of cheating, all the geocacher's votes were axed. I didn't have time to look at all 200+ caches but I believe I was very thorough with the top contenders.

Quite honestly, taking off someone's votes didn't really change the overall standings by much -- especially in the Lower Mainland and South Vancouver Island areas where there were a lot of votes cast.

In the other areas, there were so few placements and so few votes that everyone who placed a Blitz cache basically won a prize. So vote rigging wasn't an issue.

At that time, we decided that nobody could run away with all categories. If someone won several categories they were bumped up to the top prize. The second best would get the second best prize and so on.

No contest will be 100% fair. The best the BCGA executive can do is make it as fair to all as possible.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I think you should out someone for cheating....LOL

If the cache is getting voted on for HIKE then maybe that should be all we vote on for that spot. And the best overall cache we vote the same way and so on but have a scale 1-10.

I hate the fact that this forum is talking one cache one entree one prize.......every other event has prize draws......everyone needs to win, everyone needs a chance, how about this put some effort and make a cache that is different from all the rest out there a cache that cachers enjoy and is not just a cache for a smile but an adventure...wow factor...leaving a cacher excited

I will say this that every year there are caches that are great that don't win, but it seems to have been fair.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Maybe we need a blending of the two ideas. Kind of like what they do for the Academy Awards. Take the top 3 favourited by % caches (for example) and use those as the nominations. Announce the nominations. Then draw one at random to be the winner.

Pros, cons?
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

In 2007 and 2008 I was fortunate to win prizes in the Blitz, some of my caches were entered because someone suggested I do so, not because I was intent on winning a prize. Two years ago I decided not to enter any caches in the hope someone new or someone who had been competing for some time would win. The categories changed, more were added making for a greater chance of winning a prize. Some who had competed for some time, with previous great entries were now winners and some new cachers were rewarded for their fine entries.

I do not favor the voting process where cheating now seems to be the norm, with all relatives signed up in order to vote on a cache, never to be heard from after the blitz is over. More than likely the odd pet got to vote as well. Those who intend to cheat to win a prize will do so, they have done it in the past, and try as you might the honest winner will not always be rewarded. I am with Gearhedd, if those who count the votes find a cheater, toss his/her entry out.

There is another aspect of the “competition” to put out the “BEST” cache during the blitz and that is the illegal placement of caches. In the last couple of years several of the winning caches were ones that used big honking screws to attach these creations to trees, or hooks were used to hang them or pull them up and down. The remnants of some of those caches can still be found, some have been revamped and made legal, while others have just had some of the parts removed, leaving behind the big screws or nails.

Those caches and their owners were rewarded with prizes they were not deserving of. The fact the caches were unique in some way did not change the fact they were the worst of the worst of caches because of the manner in which they were located.

We see innovative, interesting caches placed throughout the year, they are not part of the blitz and for that reason the owner is not recognized for his/her efforts. It would be great to recognize these caches and their owners in some way.

My personal opinion would be to scrap the “BLITZ”, call it something like “Lets get Caching” or “whatever” and actively promote the placement of caches beginning in the spring and culminating in a selection of the best of the best in the fall for recognition and prizes. I guess that would represent the years best, perhaps that is how it should be.

Remember folks, if you don’t win a prize in the Blitz, your caching world will not stop revolving, life will go on.
grafinator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Has a date been set on the Blitz yet?
I didn't notice one in any of the previous posts.
We are now halfway through April so any clue yet?
I know A LOT of the province is no longer under snow as I have visited Salmo, Princeton, Kamloops, Cache Creek and Williams Lake in the last month so far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Info on the Blitz can be found on another thread....

BCGA BLITZ
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Thanks Scruffster. I thought I had posted something. Wink
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

Quote::
My personal opinion would be to scrap the “BLITZ”, call it something like “Lets get Caching” or “whatever” and actively promote the placement of caches beginning in the spring and culminating in a selection of the best of the best in the fall for recognition and prizes. I guess that would represent the years best, perhaps that is how it should be.

I'm just not understanding the difference between calling it a blitz or calling it something else if the outcome is the same...

I would hope that placing a great cache in a great area would garner great logs and that is the best prize for a CO at the end of the day...

I guess I'm just a geoslacker and don't like to dig so hard for the information....
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

HighMaintenance wrote:

I'm just not understanding the difference between calling it a blitz or calling it something else if the outcome is the same...

I would hope that placing a great cache in a great area would garner great logs and that is the best prize for a CO at the end of the day...

To me the word Blitz suggests exactly what takes place each spring, there is a big Blitz to place caches during the time frame allotted, particularly early in that time frame. I believe the Blitz was intended to say “it’s springtime” lets get out and place a bunch of caches for people to find, those that get the most votes during the designated time will be rewarded with a prize. Admittedly in my previous post my wording was poor, I apologize if I was not clear in what my intent was. I was trying to suggest the BCGA continue to encourage the placement of caches beginning on a certain date in the spring, with no cutoff date. The word Blitz then would not apply, and it could be called something else. Then sometime in the fall recognize any great cache placed at any time throughout the year, rather than limiting the recognition to only Blitz caches.

Perhaps caches should be nominated for awards, then winners drawn from those nominations for first, second and third place awards, rather than the current voting process.

It would appear that for a good number of CO’s the prize of great logs from their peers is not sufficient reward, or the Blitz prizes would not be so sought after.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Cache Blitz? Reply with quote

I heard that the BCGA may be either changing or expanding categories this year.

It might be fun to have a prize for people who trade up. A "Tag your Swag" contest. And reward people who think about what they put into a cache more than what they take out. **teehee** People can bag and sticker their swag, so others can see the wonderful goodies people put in caches. Well, it was a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1