CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» KFWB Caches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sproat Lake
Sproat Lake:  [?] . Prehistoric Petroglyphs at Sproat Lake. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» KFWB Caches
toplefttopfilltopright
KFWB Caches

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

So I see that Team KFWB has archived all but 2 of their caches. One wonders if the caches have been removed or in fact there are now over 350 pieces of geo-trash in the wilds....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I believe there are in fact 350 pieces of garbage in the woods. But, if you would like one of the archived caches you can have it.

Quote::
From arniebarney(after personaly emailing The Team):
"For personal reasons, the load maintaining the caches and the hassle with gc.com requirements has brought the era to an end. They will continue to archive the caches but indicated that they are free to be assumed by others"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I think we can take this on as a project in our area to pick up the archived caches. If we want geocachers to provide caches, we need to help with both maintenance and even picking up archived caches. We will take care of all of the containers in the greater Kamloops area and we might even put out new caches in these areas.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

couloir wrote:
I think we can take this on as a project in our area to pick up the archived caches. If we want geocachers to provide caches, we need to help with both maintenance and even picking up archived caches. We will take care of all of the containers in the greater Kamloops area and we might even put out new caches in these areas.

The problem with these caches is just how far "out-there" they are...well at least I think they are, I've never found any of the multi's or puzzles but by judging that a lot of them haven't been found in 4 years one would think they're not easy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I had been working with Groundspeak to formulate a plan to either adopt or retrieve these caches after an email exchange with the Team last week. Unfortunately, I guess we had a miscommunication as they archived all the caches today rather than waiting for me to contact them after working out a plan with Groundspeak.

If each region can work on collecting the containers in their area, that would be great -- it would be a shame to have that much geo-litter out there.

Once things get figured out with this a little more clearly, I'll probably set up a new page on my website listing the "still need retrieving" caches for people to refer to -- you can subscribe to my blog feed now to stay tuned for developments with this and other BC caching concerns:
www.wizardofooze.com

The Wiz

I'm your friendly local geocache reviewer for BC. If you have questions about placing a geocache, please read the guidelines first! If you still need help, feel free to email me wiz@wizardofooze.com with specific questions or check out my blog and website: www.wizardofooze.com
Amandazon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I am so disappointed that this can happen. I too am assuming that the caches are just being left in the woods and I find this totally unacceptable. I wish geocaching.com had some teeth and could do something - but I think it is going to be down to us cachers to go and remove the caches. I have little free time for geocaching at the moment but I will try to start removing the caches in and around Victoria. What a poor reflection on our sport!
Magicman65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

Can someone post a link to thier cache page, I for some reason can not find it.
Thanx

katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

Try this for a link:

www.geocaching.com/pro...68915&ds=2

Thanks WofO for trying to work with them - I hope you meet with some success. I think there are lots of their caches that are adoptable. Lots of the caches are still being actively found. There a few in the Lower Mainland that are nice brain noodlers (including one I finally solved but have not got a chance to get yet).

I'll watch to see what happens on this.
vanislelady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

Perhaps the Wizard could post a note in the logs or open up the hidden waypoints on the puzzle caches so that when someone is in the area of the final they can grab it!!
wizardofooze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

vanislelady wrote:
Perhaps the Wizard could post a note in the logs or open up the hidden waypoints on the puzzle caches so that when someone is in the area of the final they can grab it!!

I am working on posting the information on my website. Unfortunately, putting a note on the cache will not do any good now that the caches have been archived, as they will no longer show up in searches.

I am putting together a bookmark list that will list the caches that still need to be collected or adopted. It may take me a few days to get this done -- there's a lot of caches to go through, so please be patient. I do work full time so I can't spend much time during the day on this project!

Wiz.

I'm your friendly local geocache reviewer for BC. If you have questions about placing a geocache, please read the guidelines first! If you still need help, feel free to email me wiz@wizardofooze.com with specific questions or check out my blog and website: www.wizardofooze.com
vanislelady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

We appreciate that Wiz!!!
sailaboat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

Wow! That bites. CO fatigue on their part? We were over on the Island earlier this month, and did a bunch of theirs in Oak Bay. It was really a great experience. I had grown up less than a kilometer away from some of their caches, and had no knowledge of some of the neat little beaches and parks their caches led me to. Too bad. I guess, given the theme of this thread, it's now up to us to gather, or rebrand their caches.
arniebarney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

if you read the Team's bio on gc.com you might appreciate that there was a challenging collection of caches laid out there to stimultate you geocachers. Just because the Egyptians gave up building pyramids we don't call what is there Pharoah-trash!! I offered to adopt the caches but the Team archived them anyway and it sounds like the fate of the caches is in the hands of the gc reviewer WizardofOoze. I would hate to see a removal of these caches - that's premature. This is our geocaching heritage on V.I. and I think we should do our utmost to preserve them.
Magicman65

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

arniebarney wrote:
if you read the Team's bio on gc.com you might appreciate that there was a challenging collection of caches laid out there to stimultate you geocachers. Just because the Egyptians gave up building pyramids we don't call what is there Pharoah-trash!! I offered to adopt the caches but the Team archived them anyway and it sounds like the fate of the caches is in the hands of the gc reviewer WizardofOoze. I would hate to see a removal of these caches - that's premature. This is our geocaching heritage on V.I. and I think we should do our utmost to preserve them.

I beleive that is why the ooze stepped in, to make sure they are not abandoned. one of our BCGA exec's has already been corresponding with the ooze, to see if we (the BCGA, as a group) can help by posting info on the site to help make the adoption of these caches go smoothly, as well as set-up group hunts to maintain them or if some of the containers need to be replaced or removed. Unfortunatly, they (TEAM KFWB) made the premature move by archiving them even though the ooze was asking them to let them be adopted. If they cannot be adopted because of that fact, then they will become geo-garbage, and they will need to be removed.

Chris Yuill (magicman65)
BCGA VP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I'd be very happy to adopt or recycle a cache container, but I'm not sure if there are any in the Nanaimo area....
Will there be an easy way to figure out where some of the caches are?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
I'd be very happy to adopt or recycle a cache container, but I'm not sure if there are any in the Nanaimo area....
Will there be an easy way to figure out where some of the caches are?

Hi,
I am preparing a bookmark list, and a listing of the available caches sorted by location, this weekend which I will post on my website: www.wizardofooze.com

We are working on arrangments for cachers who wish to adopt some of these caches to do so by special arrangment with Groundspeak. If you wish to adopt a specific cache, please send me an email:
wiz @ wizardofooze.com with the GC waypoint number and name of the cache.

You may also use the existing cache container that's at the location to list a new cache under your own name. Doing so will lose all the cache history, however, so adoption would be the way to go if you want to keep the Team's cache history alive.

I will keep current information regarding these caches on my website, and the BCGA website will also keep information available as we work out the remaining details regarding adoption or retrieving of these caches.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

wizardofooze wrote:

Hi,
I am preparing a bookmark list, and a listing of the available caches sorted by location, this weekend which I will post on my website: www.wizardofooze.com

Answered my question perfectly!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

There are 6 in the Kamloops area - GCC921, GCC3E7, GCA02B, GCA02A, andGCC976 which we will pick up and rather than adopt, may place a new one. I have found most of these and new containers and logs would work better than adopting.
wizardofooze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

couloir wrote:
There are 6 in the Kamloops area - GCC921, GCC3E7, GCA02B, GCA02A, andGCC976 which we will pick up and rather than adopt, may place a new one. I have found most of these and new containers and logs would work better than adopting.

Thanks, Couloir -- I'll leave those off the list of available caches to be adopted.

couloir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

We also need to bear in mind that some of these caches are quite a ways out in the bush and there is still 2 feet of snow up in the high country. I remember doing one of these caches and hiking 14km on the loop. It will take some time to get out to all of these spots.
wizardofooze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

A list of KFWB caches that are potentially available for adoption (pending review to make sure they meet today's guidelines) has been posted on my website along with further information: www.wizardofooze.com/team

The caches have been grouped into three geographic areas: greater Victoria, outside Victoria, and location uncertain (puzzles, etc.)

This is a huge project so please be patient as I work my way through the requests and forward the information to Groundspeak so they can complete the adoptions.

katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

Wowzers Wiz! What a massive undertaking. Thanks for putting in the work on this large project. Thanks to all the cachers who have/will step in to help sort this out.

Its great when the caching community steps in to be collectively responsible for the sport.
KrysAdlers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I just happened to be in Victoria looking for one of their caches and catching up on my logs to see the archive note and Wizof OOzes adoption message or I wouldn't know about it. Any way to let the local caching groups know so hopefully some adoptions can take place to keep these historic caches going?
wizardofooze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

KrysAdlers wrote:
I just happened to be in Victoria looking for one of their caches and catching up on my logs to see the archive note and Wizof OOzes adoption message or I wouldn't know about it. Any way to let the local caching groups know so hopefully some adoptions can take place to keep these historic caches going?

As most of the caches are on Vancouver Island, the vigps.com group is the main contact point, and they are well aware of what's going on.

I posted reviewer notes yesterday on 200+ of the Team's caches to help spread the word, and the regional contacts for BCGA will also be spreading the word.

wizardofooze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

For those that are interested, I've posted an update on the adoption of the Team KFWB caches on my blog -- www.wizardofooze.com

Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

couloir wrote:

We had those on our list the last two times we were in the area because we know the TEAM brings people to awesome trails and areas. Unfortunately, we never did get out to them and just assumed they'd be around on future trips.

If not for TEAM caches, there's a lot of great places we'd never know about.
wizardofooze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I have updated the list of KFWB geocaches that are in the adoption process on my website wizardofooze.com/team.

The caches that are shown in white text are available and have had no adoption requests.

• The caches that are shown in green text have one or more adoption requests and their adoptions are pending.

• Caches not shown in the lists have already been adopted or they are unadoptable for various reasons (on private property, etc.)

• Now that the initial round of requests for each cacher's top three choices have been processed, you're welcome to send another email to wiz@wizardofooze.com with your additional requests. The more of these caches that have new owners, the less "geo-litter" is out there waiting for someone to pick it up, so if you see more caches available that you would like to be the new owner of, great! Please don't say "I'll take them all", though -- the caching community is doing a great job of spreading the adoptions across a wide cross-section of individuals who care about these caches and want to own a piece of BC's early caching history.

If there are still unadopted caches remaining after this second round is completed, anything left will be open for grabs to adopt or pick up and recycle into another cache.

• _________________
    vanislelady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

What is really weird is seeing a smile instead of a multi star for my owned caches... Jester
    vanislelady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

What is really weird is seeing a smile instead of a multi star for my owned caches... Jester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

vanislelady wrote:

I saw that for mine too, had me confused for a second...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: KFWB Caches Reply with quote

I've just posted an update on my blog regarding the status of the Team KFWB archived cache adoptions for those that are interested:

Adoption update

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island
    Page 1 of 1