CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Cache Alert Email(s)
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
More Roadside Attractions
More Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Caribou Sam in Cache Creek [M | C]  Largest Burr in Port McNeil [M | C]  The Peach in Penticton [M | C]  Smokey Bear in Revelstoke [M | C]  Orcas in Victoria [M | C]  Bathtub in Nanaimo [M | C]  Largest Cuckoo in Kimberley [M | C]  The Head in Revelstoke [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Cache Alert Email(s)
toplefttopfilltopright
Cache Alert Email(s)
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Cache Alert Email(s) Reply with quote

While trying to fix an ongoing email problem (mail server often blocks emails on cache alerts) I inadvertently removed a line of code that cleared out the previous emails address on a mail submission.

As a result 200+ of our members received alerts for other peoples locations.

I guess I got the brunt of it myself, as the recipient list got larger as each new cacher was processed, meaning the first person getting the alert (me) got a copy of everybody's email, while the last person got only 1.

My apologies for the giant spam!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Alert Email(s) Reply with quote

Is it still possible to receive these alerts? and if so, what is there different about them as compared to the geocaching.com notifications?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Alert Email(s) Reply with quote

Yep, just go view your account and under the "My private information" section, change cache alerts to yes.

The BCGA alerts include the GC ID, date listed, name, rating, coordinates and distance from your home coordinates as set on the BCGA site. The downside is that they only come in once every 24 hours, so not something to rely on for FTF chasing. They used to come in literally right after a cache was posted, but Groundspeak throttled us and we had to re-work the system last year in order to keep the notifications coming.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Alert Email(s) Reply with quote

That's weird, I checked "my private information" and it says I already should be receiving them. Checked my email, it's correct, then why am I not receiving the notifications?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Alert Email(s) Reply with quote

Email me through GC with the email address you use. I can check the logs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Alert Email(s) Reply with quote

sent

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1