CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geogoings on
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Nelson B.C.
Nelson B.C.:  [?] . A town where time has seemingly stood still. Turn-of-the-century ambiance lingers in every corner. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geogoings on
toplefttopfilltopright
Geogoings on
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Geogoings on Reply with quote

Not so long ago, the log book from one our caches turned up in another cache that was not owned by us. Our original cache needed maintainence becsuse someone had lost its lid. Not only had its lid been lost but so had its Logbook. A month or so later that logbook from our cache turned up in another cacher's series of hides. We and the other CO are mystified. We suspect that someone is messing with our minds....and caches!
We have read all the logs and have narrowed down the suspects. Retribution wil be brutal so be prepared.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:
Not so long ago, the log book from one our caches turned up in another cache that was not owned by us. Our original cache needed maintainence becsuse someone had lost its lid. Not only had its lid been lost but so had its Logbook. A month or so later that logbook from our cache turned up in another cacher's series of hides. We and the other CO are mystified. We suspect that someone is messing with our minds....and caches!
We have read all the logs and have narrowed down the suspects. Retribution wil be brutal so be prepared.

I'm sure you only kidding RIGHT Marmi?
Basket Case

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

Yeh, I think I'll go spread dog poop on every dog owners doorstep on my street, I'm sure it's one of their dogs who left me a present.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

I am not kidding about the log transfer Teskelly...it happened. You can email me and I will give you the details. Retribution is another thing and, not being so inclined to target cachers, I will let this one ride. But it is very strange!
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

I don't understand the purpose of posting idle threats towards other unnamed cachers on our community forums... how is this positively contributing to our association? This type of situation needs to be handled in private and not on our forums for everyone to read.
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

I do not know any more of the story other than posted but . . .

There may conceivably be a less sinister explanation that could involve an excited newbie finding they inadvertently took the log book with them then decided to drop it off in the next cache. Stranger things have happened.

I'm sure we have all found a TB or coin located somewhere other than where indicated without any darker forces involved.

Think about it. . .
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

That could be true Catcogo, an entirely innocent explanation. I was just kidding about 'retribution' by the way. However, it would be nice to get that rock's lid back!!!
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

I didn't read marmi and tas' threat of retribution as substantial, but rather as a joking way of communicating frustration.

What a strange thing - their log ending up in someone else's cache. Here's a thought - maybe their log was found after the cache it was muggled, and the person who found it put it in the new cache as a way of indirectly getting it back to them.

There are many people who find caches who do not log them, and we had a benevolent muggle turn in pieces of one of our caches to another cacher that he knew, so that we could get it back.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

Thanks doingitoldschool! I really did not mean to Target anyone about our missing Logbook but sometimes people look at the worst in a situation no matter what one says. It is a puzzle for sure and could be quite innocent as in....'oops, I took the lid and the logbook and am now feeling terribly embarassed'. Chit happens...LOL.
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Missing logbook on SSIM #10. When the cache was found by another cacher, it was obviously muggled. But when I got up to replace the cache I found the original cache out in the open with the logbook intact. What happened is a muggle found the logbook and dried it out for a few weeks in her SFU dorm room. Then she signed and replaced the logbook.

SSIM 10 seems to be signed by lots of muggles. It must be one of those "secrets" passed through the student body.

There are a lot more casual geocaches out there these days. iPhone users etc. So, I assume there are people finding geocaches who don't really have a concrete understanding of the guidelines. I talked to some kids about a month ago who found their first geocache and proudly took it home. When I mentioned that it wasn't how geocaching is done they were quite taken back and felt guilty. They assumed they took it and were supposed to hide it in another spot. oops. I don't know if they put the geocache back.
Gorak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

A couple of months ago someone removed the logbook, several TB's/coins and all the swag from one of my newer caches. However, they left the container, in its camouflage, about 50 feet away. I replaced the logbook and restocked the cache with swag and it's been fine ever since.

The weird part is that about a week ago, I checked on the cache and someone had returned the original logbook still in it's original ziplock with pen and cache note. Sadly, they didn't return the TB's or coins.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

Wow...it sounds like there is more messing with caches than anyone realized!
Now I don't feel so alone as doingitoldschool, scruffster and Gorak have all had similar experiences. Too funny about scruffster's encounter with the kids who proudly toted the cache home!!!
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Geogoings on Reply with quote

I wish I asked what cache the kids took. It has to be something local since it was neighbourhood kids that did it. For a while I thought they found a moving cache I didn't know about.

In the past I made the mistake of assuming that there were evil forces at work but the truth of the matter is caches get messed up for a variety of reasons.

The last few months have been a particularly high maintenance period for me. But wet logbooks and broken caches in whole seem to be equally due to age and natural forces. Not necessarily people.

After 50 or more people eventually find a cache I've come to the realization that I have to expect some wear and tear on the containers. Nature does the rest. Remember that these containers are in the forest, not high and dry in our cupboards. A few years of rain, freezing and thawing will make lock & lock plastic brittle. And I've noticed that my infamous peanut butter jars don't last forever either. What I didn't realize in 2004 when I placed my earliest hides is the containers many of us use as geocaches were not designed to sit out in the elements for an extended period of time.

Having said that, there are careless geocachers out there too. Many of us have witnessed our geocaches move 20 meters or more from their original hidey spot. But that just comes with the territory. When I look at the number of people who have found a given cache as to the number of times I've had to fix it, the careless cachers occupy a very small percentage of the caching population as a whole. The sad thing is careless cachers tend to assume that their actions are less destructive than they actually are.

Is it too much to ask that our caches remain pristine over five years? The answer is most likely yes. If we place a cache, we will have to resign ourselves to the fact that we'll have to fix them from time to time. People, animals and the forces of nature will eventually take their toll on the most hardy caches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1