CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Shuswap Mega Event
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rogers Pass Cenotaph
Rogers Pass Cenotaph:  [?] . The Rogers Pass Cenotaph is dedicated to the completion of the Trans Canada Highway on September 3, 1962. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Shuswap Mega Event
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Shuswap Mega Event
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
couloir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

Plans are underway now to host a Mega Event in Salmon Arm on Saturday, July 16, 2011. A preliminary site has been set up with a FAQ and a notification system.

Here is the link

See you in Salmon Arm in July! Coonskin Hat
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

We're thinking of traveling around the province after the ??? Rush...Maybe we'll make a stop???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

In order to avoid a date conflict with the Badlands event in Alberta which was going to be held the same weekend, we have moved the date of this event back by one week to Saturday, July 9th, 2011.

This was unfortunately a big hassle but we felt it was more prudent to give cachers the option of attending both events instead of forcing them to decide between the two.

However, an added bonus for cachers is that between the Copper Rush event, the BC Mega event and the Badlands event, one can now potentially attend three major events which are quite close to one another geographically.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

Wow! This looks like a good 3 week stretch...
Great ??? Rush July 1-3rd
Shuswap July 9th
Badlands July 16th, 17th

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

The Shuswap GeoQuest page date for the mega should be changed...
http://www.shuswapgeoquest.com/news.html#mega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
The Shuswap GeoQuest page date for the mega should be changed...
http://www.shuswapgeoquest.com/news.html#mega

Good spotting... I've sent a note to chase_bc about that, hopefully he will have a chance to update the page soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

Will the registration be open soon?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

I have registered for the events on either side of this one (Tulameen and 3 Hills). I was planning on hitting the event in Salmon Arm on the way through. We are only 5 months out and reservations for the trailer need to be made......

But I am beginning to think that this event may not happen. You would assume the web site etc would be active by now.

Hope this isn't the case.
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

Agreed, I have my reservations for the events either side too, have family to stay with for this one, but would like to know if it's a go or not so I can plan my travels accordingly!
anakerose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

is there any reason why this event hasn't been listed on gc.com yet?? If it's a 'mega' event then people should be able to register and book vacation time. The Confuzzled Rush page has been up for awhile now.
911turbos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

I heard a rumor it was canceled due to the mega event happening in Alberta. I think Groundspeak would only allow one of the events to be mega.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

any news?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

This is actually the first I've heard of a mega in shuswap - I know, out of touch - but I have some doubts that "megas" back to back in shuswap and three hills would be supportable... And three hills is more central for drawing a crowd. (besides, me, I've always wanted to go to the dinosour museum...)

I'm a little confused by the "mega" thing anyway; I was browsing through the knowledge books on geocaching.com and as far as I could see an event can't become mega until it's been successful at least once. And Best of the Bad isn't listed in the upcoming mega events section of the groundspeak weekly newsletter. So maybe it's not an official mega either? Although since I hear Jeremy Irish is coming it looks as though groundspeak is trying to encourage a western canadian mega event...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

dragonflyer wrote:
This is actually the first I've heard of a mega in shuswap - I know, out of touch - but I have some doubts that "megas" back to back in shuswap and three hills would be supportable... And three hills is more central for drawing a crowd. (besides, me, I've always wanted to go to the dinosour museum...)

I'm a little confused by the "mega" thing anyway; I was browsing through the knowledge books on geocaching.com and as far as I could see an event can't become mega until it's been successful at least once. And Best of the Bad isn't listed in the upcoming mega events section of the groundspeak weekly newsletter. So maybe it's not an official mega either? Although since I hear Jeremy Irish is coming it looks as though groundspeak is trying to encourage a western canadian mega event...

Once they reach 500 "will attends", I would imagine that GS would change it to a Mega.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
dragonflyer wrote:

Once they reach 500 "will attends", I would imagine that GS would change it to a Mega.

Yup! There hasn't been much news on the event, but as previous posters have noted that there was a bit of a conflict with the Alberta event.

So long story short, with the reorganization and some setbacks an event was created, but it probably won't achieve mega status this year. The goal is to host an annual event that grows in attendance every year, and maybe not this year but likely in a subsequent year it will reach mega status. Of course as soon as there are 500+ attendees logged, groundspeak will change the event to a mega.

The event was listed today, gc code is GC2JZN9. With 100+ caches planned to be released with the event there should be quite a bit of interest.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mega Event Reply with quote

I should point out there is a huge Motor Bike/Music Festival in Salmon arm the week after, so if interested, you could make it a longer stay. This is a very famous event and the first time it's moved from its usual location, which I think is in South Dakota.

Sturgis North

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Shuswap Mass Cache Dash Kickoff (aka: Shuswap Mega Event) Reply with quote

Just a quick update. The placement of geocaches that will be published in conjunction to Shuswap Mass Cache Dash Kickoff (http://coord.info/GC2JZN9) is going very well. There are seven geocaching teams so far that are participating.

If you'd like to hide a geocache(s) as part of the event in or around the Shuswap area let rhondle, stampcoin or myself know. We can be contacted at bcmega @ shuswapgeocaching.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shuswap Mass Cache Dash Kickoff (aka: Shuswap Mega Event) Reply with quote

Another quick update.. less than a week to go, and there are over 100 confirmed geocaches already placed for this event, and approximately 100 people coming!

There should be a lot of people with a lot of FTFs on Saturday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1