CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Before Cell Phones.
Before Cell Phones.:  [?] . Dotted along remote stretches of hiway, there still is the occasional phone booth. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far?
toplefttopfilltopright
Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I stepped out-of-line. Here's the story:
There's a multi-cache in a nice park near to where we often go camping. It was placed in April 2009 and has been DNF'd 4 times since October 2009, once by myself. No one has logged a find since then. We've actually looked for it 3 different times with no success. The stages are there, just the final is missing. We were even told where it was from a previous finder and it's definitely gone. After a few e-mails to the cache owner he finally disabled it in April 2010. Nothing has been done since. In September I posted a note on the cache page "Any chance this cache can be put back in action by Oct 15th? We'll be back at (name withheld) again and since we've looked for this cache a few times it would be nice to finally log it".
No response.
This morning I e-mailed him again and asked if he could either maintain it or, if not, archive it so someone else could place a cache in that area. Here's his response:
" My life is too busy these days to check on the dnfs
I had a friend tell me all is in place still I will check on the cache next time I'm in the area
Why don't you go pooch someone elses cache spot
Get creative and find a new spot so others will enjoy going to a new spot.
Thanks for the interest but I'm not giving up my spot just yet.
Bye for now"
So do you think I went too far? Seems to me if you don't have time to maintain your caches you shouldn't be playing the game!
RVTraveller
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

When I talked to a member of the Groundspeak staff regarding geocaches on Olympic grounds she looked at one particular cache and said "Oh, disabled for six months. That's way too long" and archived the cache while I was talking to her on the phone." I didn't even ask.

From what I've been told. Three months is generally the longest a cache should be disabled. There are extenuating circumstances like construction in the park etc. But if that is the case, it is up to the cache owner to write a note on the cache page detailing the reason why the cache has been inactive for so long.

Personally, if the cache owner doesn't have time to alert others to the reason why the cache is disabled, then I have no problem posting a "Needs Archived" note after three months. I'd expect other people to do that to me as well to kick my lazy butt in gear.

There is always another option. Replace the cache to the specifications of someone who has found it and log it. **teehee** People have done that too.
savant9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

Perhaps you should send mtn-man a message with a copy of your correspondence. Judging by his tone, it may just make for more bitterness from this CO, but if you cant play by the rules, then play elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

If he didn't sound so nasty I'd offer to replace the cache this weekend. I too have found all the stages and looked for an extended period of time. We know where the final is meant to be, could RVT perhaps email this lovely person again and offer to replace it? I don't think she really wants to "pooch" his spot, it's just really irritating when you go to the trouble of finding someones cache only not to have the final available...... OK, I'll stop venting now
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

Sounds to me like maybe someone's having a bad day.

It woudlnt bother me if someone asked me to archive one of my caches because they had a better idea, they're not permanent anyway & change opens up new caches for the people who've blanketed areas to go seek.

That said, it's not clear to me (maybe i missed it) whether the cache in the OP is disabled or active. If it's active and the final is gone (versus being just elusive) then yes, shame on the CO, hopefully your note stirs some action, it only takes a moment to disable a cache. I always figured checking on DNFs was part of what being a CO is - mind you, most of my caches are meant to be found. If it is disabled, then other than posting a NA on it when a few months have passed with no updates there's really not more to do. Mtn-man will deal with it eventually.

If it were me, i'd move on knowing I did what I could for the benefit of all & go find some fun somewhere else. Smile
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

I have been going through the same thing with a multi cache. Several dnf's before and after my visit and now people are claiming it as a find because they claim they know the hidey spot at the end and verify it's missing! It is frustrating because the park is great and we of course wouldn't have ventured there without the lure of a cache. It's a well done multi and I would wish more people could to it!
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

There is always another option. Replace the cache to the specifications of someone who has found it and log it. **teehee** People have done that too.

Now how can you justify claiming a find on a cache like that. You would have hid it not found it. And it's not our place to do maintenance on other people's caches (unless arranged with the cache owner). I've actually heard stories of cachers replacing caches they can't find leading to two cache containers in the same spot. Just because you can't find it does not mean it's not there. I could have sworn a cache in Nanoose was missing until my friend took me to it. It had at least 4 DNF's on it, but there it was.
RVTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

Coincidentally the multi-cache in my original post was archived on Monday. Apparently the owner made no attempt to check on it or replace the missing final stage . . . just a note "GoodBye"!!
vanislelady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

RVTraveller wrote:
Coincidentally the multi-cache in my original post was archived on Monday. Apparently the owner made no attempt to check on it or replace the missing final stage . . . just a note "GoodBye"!!

And all the stages will still be there...sigh
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Owner won't do maintainance - Did I go too far? Reply with quote

RVTraveller wrote:

I don't think you were out of line at all in your expectation that the cache owner look after his/her cache. Having it archived is the best thing to happen, perhaps someone willing to look after a cache will use the spot.

Placing a cache where you cannot find the one you are looking for is NOT the thing to do. I once looked for a cache near Lytton that had been logged 4 or 5 times, I found two caches, the one being logged because the first person there could not find the real one, and assumed it was gone so placed another with nothing but a logbook and logged it. I found the original cache that had sat there for 2 years and had "never been logged" by anyone. I claimed the FTF on the original, signed the other one and left them both there.

The option to ask to have a cache archived is not used in cases where it should be, this will hopefully draw the cache to the attention of the reviewer and they can proceed in whatever way the wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1