CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» OpenSteetMap and other maps
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sockeye Salmon
Sockeye Salmon:  [?] . Over fifteen million sockeye salmon return to the Adams River by Chase once every four years. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» OpenSteetMap and other maps
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
OpenSteetMap and other maps
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

I'm looking for some maps for my GPS, and am looking for a free one that is easy to download. I saw this and thought it can be used on my Legend HCX, but don't know how to export it to it. Yet alone if it's compatible.

Does anyone have experience with this map?
or should I just find another one?

I'm heading for Mexico in March so I'm hoping to find a map for there as well.
Any help would be much appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

Here is a link to those same maps in an easier format to download. Once you select the tiles you want, they email you a link. When you go to the link there will be multiple files. If you grab the EXE file it will auto install to mapsource (assuming you have mapsource installed) From there it is as simple as sending any other maps to your gps, just select the tiles you want and send to gps.
I helped an Australian lady add Egypt maps to her gps, and made a short video clip showing how to do it in mapsource. It may be of help to you as well if you are not familiar with the process. Link to vid If I sound like I am stumbling or confused during the vid, its because I added the audio track after the fact as it was initially just a visual only. Smack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

I guess I should have mentioned that in case you dont have mapsource, you can also use Garmin Basecamp to install maps, but I find mapsource to be better for this (faster too). If you dont have mapsource, this link will tell you how to get it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

The OSM Routable is one I've used before, hopefully it's been updated since. The one thing I didn't like about it last time was that there was no colour difference between water and land, so it got a bit confusing.

How long does it take for the email to reach you? It's been all afternoon and I still haven't got it.

Thanks Savant9, and yes, I do have mapsource installed.

Another question, how do you delete old maps from mapsource?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

The osm maps should be "transparent", so if you overlay them with another map you can differentiate water/land (the basemap should also help with this)

Wait time depends on the queue....

You can remove maps from mapsource by "Add/remove programs" in control panel or if they are not listed in there you can remove them with Mapset Toolkit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

Came across this recently while planning some travel.
wikimapia.org

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

I'm not sure but you may be able to convert the ibycus maps to work on units other than the intended Garmin. They have good topo coverage of all of Canada.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

The_Pollywog wrote:
I'm not sure but you may be able to convert the ibycus maps to work on units other than the intended Garmin. They have good topo coverage of all of Canada.
I've looked at that, but don't really want to download the entire file.

Oh, and to answer the question of how long it takes to get the osm email, I just got it this morning. The server had 745 request waiting when I submitted the tiles I wanted, 4 days later I finally got it. Maybe that's why it's free... Shifty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

What I need is free maps for Pacific Coast Mexico.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
What I need is free maps for Pacific Coast Mexico.
I unfortunately don't have what I believe you're looking for, maybe part of it though. I'm sure someone else could help you get what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:

Oh, and to answer the question of how long it takes to get the osm email, I just got it this morning. The server had 745 request waiting when I submitted the tiles I wanted, 4 days later I finally got it. Maybe that's why it's free... Shifty

You definitely don't want to leave that till the last minute if you are planning a trip!

CB, I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

Has anyone used Backroad Mapbooks SD for BC? Pricey (on sale for $115), but is it worth it? We do a lot of trail caching.
savant9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

Boesencrew wrote:
Has anyone used Backroad Mapbooks SD for BC? Pricey (on sale for $115), but is it worth it? We do a lot of trail caching.

Its good, but like everything else has it problems.

I find that Garmin's TopoCan V4 with Northwest Trails overlay is as good or better. The nice thing about Topocan is that it has 3d shading and is routable.

If you wanted to go totally no cost you could also use Northwest Topos instead, although depending on what area of BC you live in, NW topos may not cover your region.

Ibycus topo is also quite good but has no 3d or route data.

Links:
www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/
www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/
www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/
buy.garmin.com/shop/sh...o?pID=1016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll take a look at your suggestions. I am most interested in North Shore trails and $115 is a bit much.
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSteetMap and other maps Reply with quote

Just for reference here is North West Topos

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1