CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Distinct caches?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Urban wildlife in B.C.
Urban wildlife in B.C.:  [?] . Wildlife big and small, urban and remote abound throughout B.C., even Skunks! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Distinct caches?
toplefttopfilltopright
Distinct caches?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

In the Statistics section of my geocaching.com profile it says "I've found 1661 caches (1659 distinct)"

I'm just wondering what the discrepancy is all about. What two caches have I found that were not "distinct"??? I'm wondering if I logged two caches twice by accident or perhaps logged my own event or something like that. Does anyone know what "distinct" means in the geocaching.com context?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

Distinct caches as in different caches/listings/GC#'s found. Each GC# is a distinct cache, if the name changes it still remains the same.

This is from logging a cache twice, not from logging your own event.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

Thanks. That makes sense.

I noticed that a few people, especially seasoned cachers, have the "distinct" discrepancy. I wonder if it is due to finding a travelling cache a few times. Travelling caches were popular at one time.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

could be scruff.

I've had issues with this too - tracked it down to the groundspeak iphone app - on occasion it had double logged my finds. On one occasion I think it logged my find 9 times (still sorry about that Keener Beener!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

Usually it is the old traveling caches, although sometimes the double-find is a cache that has had it's name changed.
I've logged 3 caches twice because the coordinates had changed, which is why I only have found 1005 distinct caches, but 1008 total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

I have 2 caches also that are not distinct, how do you find out which cache has been accidently logged twice without going thru every cache? Smack
Anybody know???
Thanx, Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

I've heard that GSAK can find which one you've logged twice. I'll check and see if it works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

Magicman65 wrote:
I have 2 caches also that are not distinct, how do you find out which cache has been accidently logged twice without going thru every cache? Smack
Anybody know???
Thanx, Chris

Chris, theres a good chance Dale's going away bash is one for you. It is the one that gives me my one cache difference. . . . . now if only the name could be changed back to fix my milestones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distinct caches? Reply with quote

To figure out which cache you have logged twice (or more), open GSAK and make sure your lattest "My Finds PQ" is loaded. From there create a filter, and go to the "logs" tab. Then edit the information to look like this: (except for the username part, put your exact one there).

Then just run the filter and it should show you the cache(s) that you logged multiple times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1