CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Groundspeak rating system - favourites
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Urban wildlife in B.C.
Urban wildlife in B.C.:  [?] . Wildlife big and small, urban and remote abound throughout B.C., even Skunks! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Groundspeak rating system - favourites
toplefttopfilltopright
Groundspeak rating system - favourites
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

Im curious to know what this community thinks about it.

I'm not super excited, but not really disappointed either. I think will probably take a fair while for there to be enough use of it to drive some useful feedback on caches.

Glad to see that Groundspeak is listening to some of the feedback they're getting
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I am liking it. I think it will be real handy for travelling, as you will be able to get an idea of the most liked caches in the local area. I like that you can sort by the favourite field in the tables too. Clicking on my finds and sorting by favs I see that YXX TB"s Birdhouse Inn-Classic (GC15JKQ) already has 9 favs which is well deserved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I think it's a good Idea as well and will be taking the time to like some of my most memorable caches. Fixed the double post for ya Chewy Smile
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I'm quite enjoying it!
Like savant9 said, it will be very handy when traveling. I probably spent an hour today using up about 50 of my available favorites on caches I've already found.

No more need for those bookmark lists of favorites anymore...(unless you have a lot of favorites:shifty: )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I think the favourites function is a very good idea. It's nice to take part in praising the truly good geocaches out there. Some people work at making the geocaching experience exciting and fun for everyone and I believe they should be rewarded. Of course there will be friends voting for friends at the beginning. That is inevitable. But over time the cream of the crop will rise to the top.

The favourites function will be a great tool for newbies to check out what type of caches people like. And it just may spur people the average geocacher to become more creative. After all, a cache voted favourite by a high number of people will no doubt be worth a few bragging rights.

So just how long will it take for someone to hide a "Make me your Favourite" cache in a blatant attempt to have the highest favourite count in British Columbia??? **teehee** I can't wait to find who the egoist is. It might even be me. **gasp**
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

When I first saw the favourites I thought it was a little hokey but I'm liking it much better not. I took a trip down memory lane to mark my favourites which was a very pleasant wander.

This will be a great tool for travelling, I checked out some of my favourites in San Francisco and see that people agree with me, its amazing how many votes some of them have got in less than 24 hours. If you are somewhere for a limited amount of time, you can plan to just hit the best caches and leave the rest.

What I like most is that you can't vote for one you own (even if you adopted it after you found it), or for one you haven't logged, or more than one vote per cache.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I don't know what to do with all my favorite points! I used up only 11 of my 412! I know I have had some great experiences at many caches, but to pick them out of the crowd after 4000 finds is not easy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

Well Scruff, at least you're not in Oregon competing with this:

I wonder how many it will get... Laughing
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

Well, not that I've done it, but that's points for nostalgia , it is not supposed to be anything special outside of that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

Too bad you couldn't sell, trade or give away these points. I think what I don't like now is logging a cache and having it tell me how many more caches I need until I get another point. I really can't see myself using the 440 I have left. So I don't need more. And yes I used 5 to see how it worked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

Catapult Jeff wrote:
Too bad you couldn't sell, trade or give away these points. I think what I don't like now is logging a cache and having it tell me how many more caches I need until I get another point. I really can't see myself using the 440 I have left. So I don't need more. And yes I used 5 to see how it worked.
Shifty http://forums.groundspeak.com...........

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

Ok, as per the Groundspeak forum I'm willing to trade my points for stuff. Or should I do it on ebay? Hey Baconboy can you do an auction thingy on this site. I'll give you ten points.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I'll be at the corner of Hastings and Main with some 300 points to 'distribute'. I'll be the guy in the long dark raincoat and sunglasses making squealing noises.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I drove past there the other day. There were already 3 guys who fitted that description there. Can you also wear a carnation?
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

it's kind of a good idea but I really do not like that thermometer icon thing telling me I have x # of caches to find before the next bonus point. Take it down a notch already.
Groundspeak must have something planned in order to up revenues.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

Maybe. Im a little frustrated with it too, hopefully there will be some way to turn that off in the future.

That said, I'll bet that is perceived as a pretty cool little doo-dad for the newer types.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I've had a lot of fun going back in time trying to remember the cache hides. It was not easy but I think I managed to choose at least 50 of my favourite caches.

I am surprised that a few geocaches I've found are not high on the list. A bit surprised with the popularity of others. But in general, the cream of the crop seems to be slowly rising to the top.

Judging by the top favourites so far, geocachers are somewhat sentimental people who like to flirt with danger (or at least have some sense of adventure). They don't mind a small bushwack and will overlook an illegal hide if it is done well. Geocachers in general like innovative ideas. It doesn't seem to matter if the cache is a puzzle, a virtual, a multi, or a traditional as long as it is fun to seek. Original ideas and good cammos seem to be rewarded just as much as the area the cache is placed.

So, geocachers seem to be a very eclectic group. It would probably be impossible to come up with a definite psychological profile of the average geocacher. It would be fun to try, however.
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I have now squandered most of my points. I gave some based on the cache, and quite a few on my experience in seeking the cache. A perfect day, a great view, or a cache that challenged me to personally go beyond my comfort zone got my votes as well.

I'm not sure if that was how it was intended, but I'm sure many other cachers could have similar experiences. They're my points, and I'll award them as I want!

I too hate the thermometer - like I'm going to go running off to earn that one more point . . .
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak rating system - favourites Reply with quote

I like the favourites, but not in a huge way - they are a painless way of letting people know I liked the cache. With over 200 still to use up, I don't think I'll ever run out. I would like the option of noting why I liked them, but I guess that's what the log is for.
I would certainly be against a negative scoring system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1