CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Extraterrestrial Hwy
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Ghost Towns
Ghost Towns:  [?] . Hedely [M | C]  Anyox [M | C]  Bradian [M | C]  Butedale [M | C]  Sandon [M | C]  Cody [M | C]  Kitsault [M | C]  Moyie [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Extraterrestrial Hwy
toplefttopfilltopright
Extraterrestrial Hwy
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anakerose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
Has anyone here done the power trail along the ET Hwy in Nevada? LordEd and I are heading to Las Vegas between Christmas and New Years and we wanted to attempt to do at least some of this power trail and maybe the alien head outside of Rachel. I'm just looking for what people did on this trail, IE: What you took with you, how long it took you....Let me know!
titelines

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

We did it in July and it was very hot. We picked up 8lbs of dry ice and two flats of water. The weather is going to be very different when you are going and there could be snow. The elevation is over 9,000' in some areas and you cross over 4 summits. It could be tricky to near impossible to find the caches that are off the road and in the desert if there is snow on the ground. Watch out for cows & Good luck!
anakerose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Yikes! I didn't realize it was that high! Maybe I'll have to re-think doing it. Plenty of caches around the city to do, and maybe we could go get a cache or two in AZ. Thanks for the heads up.
titelines

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

We checked the temp there this morning and the nights are getting to -4C, days are still looking not bad at 7-14C (this week)..... BIG difference from the 30+ C we saw...lol!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

I`d love to go down and do the series over a day or two. Think it would be quite the experience.
A couple cachers have been claiming records of over 1200 in 24hours, although not everybody seems to believe it...The Newest World Record

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

You may want to take a look at this link, looks as if the Hwy is being picked apart... I'm going down in Feb, we'll see how much of it is left then...

www.nevadageocaching.c...-winter-wx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Hmmm... I wonder why that is?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Guess NDOT isn't a fan of caching lining their hwy in that county Confused
anakerose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

bunch of party poopers Sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

For those who are interested in this topic, the ENTIRE series from 1-1021 has been ARCHIVED.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269550

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

It was cachers with no common sense or consideration for others that caused this series to be archived Crying or Very sad
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

I was at the ET Event last June when all was released. I have done all except the last 21 or so because they were added after I had completed that end of the highway.

Now don't worry people as Clay did say to me at the event that he hoped to see me back here next June as they had something big planned for then.

I also find it interesting that Clay and Gus have been rather silent on this and Roadrunner (Approver for Nevada) has said in another forum what else do they have up their sleeves?

Clay did say it took 3 months to put the ET Highway together as they had to block the GC numbers etc and then get a team of cachers to enter all the info and then place the caches.

I have been waiting for news on this years event and this just might mean something new is in the works.

Phil
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

I'm trying to convince the VLH team here on the island to hide 840 more caches, so that we don't need to wait for the folks down south!

However, I must say that they get enough negative nancies who find the caches and then complain about them, that I'm surprised they keep them active at all!
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

One of the big problems one has when doing something like this is maintenance of the caches once placed. In the case of down south one of the big problems at first was the cattle eating the containers. I remember how many containers were missing before the opening even took place.
While that would not be a problem here it would be rain and wet caches.
There are so many places to cache down south in the Las Vegas area, then there is Phoenix.

It took almost 3 months to put the ET Highway together with 8 volunteers entering the information and then getting the reviewer onside because he is the one that has to ultimately post them.

I am not saying don't do but one has to think this through as to all the pitfalls. I would email Clay or Gus who headed up the ET Highway and talk to them if you really are thinking of doing this.

Phil
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Here is a interesting ET Highway Article that appeared this week in Nevada.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Philatsea wrote:

Phil
Great article!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
Philatsea wrote:

Phil
Great article!

Agreed - very well said - and I love the quote "A guy from NDOT was in the other day and wanted ice in his Coke," West said. "I said, 'No, you're NDOT. You've pissed me off.' "
Philatsea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

I met Connie last June during the event and again this past December when I went back to finish up some missed caches.

Connie is in her middle 60's I would say and reminds me of my Grandmother when I walked in. She was old school and had an apron on and you would listen to her when she talked to you.

Connie told me that when Clay and Gus went to talk to her about an event in Rachel and her place she said yea sure figuring that not many would be there. The event was Saturday and I arrived from Tonopah Friday night. There were many already there in trailers and tents. Connie allowed us to use her camp ground for free, not only this but she told us we could use her spare bathroom in her trailer to shower. Connie told us where it was and use it any time.
I tell you by late Friday night the parking lot was full. The Restaurant/bar was packed. There wasn't enough room inside so people rotated to outside.
I remember my daughter driving into Rachel after we grabbed the caches around Rachel and Amy was about to drive over a stick in the road near the camp ground. I said ah Amy you may want to go around that Snake. She stopped and said WHAT and I aid that is a rattle snake going across the road. Amy turned to me and said Dad we are sleeping in the car tonight not in the tent.

Saturday arrives and Connie oped early for breakfast. Then we all disappeared to go grab the first of the caches and meet back for the noon event. Once again things ran late on Saturday.

I remember Connie saying to me on the Sunday that had they known this many cachers (she was now totally into understanding all the terms now) she would have asked the Town of Rachel to allow us to buy gas there as it is for residents only.
In December when I walked in not only did she remember me but she said she had no idea what caching would mean to the town of Rachel. She said I told her they would come all winter and she thought it would die off after a couple of weeks. Connie said they had a reservation for December 26th something that has never happened. Connie never thought Geocaching could be so helpful to a place like Rachel.

I do agree there were some problem cache placements and those I did leave till my return in December and I walked that part of the highway.

Yes caching can bring money in to places that need it. Gold Country is another example.
Now there is Route 66. We will see what happens next.

Phil
zanadian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the ET Highway article, although I did not find it very flattering with regards to the way geocachers were portrayed.

“The government suits are to geocachers what vice cops are to frat parties: Buzz kills.”

“…some geocachers are careless or disrespectful.”

“…geocachers were rushing to find as many as they could in the shortest amount of time and didn't follow the rules,"

"Power trails...allows collectors to rack up caches without a lot of effort."

Anti establishment, disrespectful and lazy. Googling these three collectively gave me links to; anarchists, angry teenagers and mental health issues. I hope this isn't how us geocachers are thought of?
TeamPawz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

I agree with your statement about it not being flattering to geocachers but unfortuneatly I believe it is the truth as far as the ET Highway is concerned. It was careless cachers who did not follow the guidelines of the series who ruined it for the rest of us. I hope that this will be a wake up call to those who refuse to follow the CO's cache guidelines. (and I don't just mean this series, it applies to all caches) Pull off if it says so, don't do it at night if it says so, and so on. Let's hope we all learn something from this.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

TeamPawz wrote:
I agree with your statement about it not being flattering to geocachers but unfortuneatly I believe it is the truth as far as the ET Highway is concerned. It was careless cachers who did not follow the guidelines of the series who ruined it for the rest of us. I hope that this will be a wake up call to those who refuse to follow the CO's cache guidelines. (and I don't just mean this series, it applies to all caches) Pull off if it says so, don't do it at night if it says so, and so on. Let's hope we all learn something from this.

Ditto - I actually thought the article was pretty balanced - most cachers are good, but a few spoil it for many. It sure put us in a good light for how we can benefit an area economically!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Extraterrestrial Hwy Reply with quote

The Alien invasion has not yet stopped! http://coord.info/GC2WK80
A second event is planed!
Quote::
In fact, the buzz in the airwaves leads us to believe that roughly 1500 caches will appear during this particular week sometime.
That's a lot! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1