CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Garmin "Chirp"
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Flammulated Owl
Flammulated Owl:  [?] . The tiny Flammulated Owl can be found in the Ponderosa Pine forests of Southern British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Garmin "Chirp"
toplefttopfilltopright
Garmin "Chirp"
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Looks like Caching got a little more high tech. Not sure if I will be rushing out to pay $20+ for it though, especially when you need to have a wireless compatible device (Oregon, Dakota, 62 series) for it to work.

Link: Garmin Chirp
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Not a bad idea from their side - put the wireless capable devices into the market then introduce some low cost add ons to fuel additional demand - I suspect it will be enough to push some people to upgrade who might not have otherwise.

Seems like a pretty cool little add on to me, suspect it wont come into it's own until the wireless units penetrate deeper - and the price comes down a bit.
curnew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

if anyone one wants one, we're going a group buy:
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...pic&t=2103
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

GARMIN Chirp Review

Just found a review with a bit more info on this. Thought I would share!

I love this idea except for the 50 character limit!....Limits it somewhat. WHat do you think?
curnew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

bp,

I think the 50char limit is worth the it if you take in account the size and battery life. It's gonna add a different dynamic to puzzles THAT's for sure!

Jeff
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Read some reviews,, Cachers that have bought a chirp and put out a cache... have not had their caches published. Groundspeak as far as I have read has not allowed cache to be published because it exclusive to Garmin uses that have chirp enabled gps. Wherigo is different??? I would hold off in buying.......

This may have changed already...maybe check into it if you were think of buying
Restless10101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Found this little news artical on line:

gps.about.com/b/2010/1...aching.htm

There is something near the bottom on what groundspeak has in mind for the unit.
dloubert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Picked up a couple on Thursday....getting a cache put together now to place. We will see how well it goes. Touque
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Published this morning in Kamloops: No Beacon Off, Okay?
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

curnew wrote:
bp,

I think the 50char limit is worth the it if you take in account the size and battery life. It's gonna add a different dynamic to puzzles THAT's for sure!

Jeff

I was a bit put off by the 50 character limit but I guess all technologies start somewhere! Your right though...this does add a whole new dimension to puzzle caches! I'm looking forward to trying for the kamloops one this week sometime!
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Is the protocol bluetooth? Is there any Smartphone apps that can read the data off them? Seems a sham if only higher end garmins can be used.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

Its ANT+ not bluetooth, currently unknown if they use an encryption on the data though. Potentially some devices (iPhone, etc) could receive the data.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin "Chirp" Reply with quote

curnew wrote:
if anyone one wants one, we're going a group buy:
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...amp;t=2103

Did you happen to get any of these yet? If so, did you try them out? How did they work? Impressed? It would be nice to get some feedback from geocachers that we know!

b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1