CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» Recommend a Cache —» Hardcore Hiking Caches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Revelstoke
Revelstoke:  [?] . Carved Grizzlies frame a town square in Revelstoke. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» Recommend a Cache —» Hardcore Hiking Caches
toplefttopfilltopright
Hardcore Hiking Caches
Do you have a cache you would like to recommend? Post it here with the name of the cache as the title of the post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Recommend a Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
couloir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

There is a sector of the geocaching community who love to hike, enjoy a challenge, and are prepared to take the whole day to climb to a single cache. Which ones in B.C. can we include in this kind of group?

I have placed a few:
- Lime Ridge in the Marble Range
- Castle Butte in the Dewdrop Range
- Balu Pass in the Selkirks
- Trophy 360 in Wells Gray

What other ones can we include in our hardcore hiking caches?
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Well up here in the Central Interior the following caches would fall into that category:

-Farm Peak
-Fang Mountain - Pant Like A Pug
-The Ridge
-Raven Lake
-Longworth LOOKOUT!
-tech type (FTF still available)
-Onion Lake Cache (multiple day adventure near Tumbler Ridge hidden in '03 still not found. No logged DNFs. Perhaps never attempted by a cacher.)

I love these types of hides. They drag me out to places that I probably wouldn't venture without the cache there to go for.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Mount Hope can be included in there, 2500 foot elevation increase about 7-8 hours there and back. Amazing Journey - out of the parking lot you can also go up to Wells Peak but we didn't have a cache the day we went up there.
GeoHackers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Just did 13 km in Gowland Todd Park outside of Victoria. Great hike. Lots of ups and downs with great views. I think it is about 10 km from one end to the other but I was checking out a lot of side trails, etc. There are some cool caches in the park as well.
dloubert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Here on Van Isle in Strathcona Provincial Park is OraeJox Switch - Mt Albert Edward GCGRFK. about 30 k return to the parking lot with a 3000+ft elevation gain. There are places to set up camp at Circlet lake if you want to make it an over nighter. Tonnes of fun!
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

If you want a good hike with an amazing view check out GC1H7V4
JeffvS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Does anyone know any good hiking caches in Nanaimo?
dloubert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

JeffvS wrote:
Does anyone know any good hiking caches in Nanaimo?

Just head up Mt. Benson. Lots up there and great views to boot. Beanie
peppy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

There's one at the top of Golden Ears in Maple Ridge:

GC1GQC1 360 View

Long tedious hike, but the view from the top is great (except when I go there Rolling Eyes ).

Also, look at the caches hidden by kilrag. A lot of tough one's.
couloir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

I added a few more. Everything in the Twenty Peaks series will be hard to get to. The most recent was Raft Mountain.
chrisoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Here's another good one: Zanadian's Adventure, GCYJ7B, near Rossland, New Denver and Salmo. It's a multi-cache involving an old mine, hiking to the top of Old Glory (highest peak in the Rossland Range, 18km hike), and another hike near Salmo. A serious 5/5. We're 66% done and hope to finish it off this fall, though the snow is getting pretty deep in the mountains. Oh, and there's 3 other traditional caches on the way up Old Glory, so you do get a few caches out of the trip.

Oops, editted to include a shameless plug for one of my own, GC1YQY5, Shannon Lake, in the Valhallas. Looking forward to getting to some of these other ones!
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Grafinator and I put a couple up Lady Peak GC1WT5K, GC1XNM4 and GC1XNBW(FTF Still Available) though it's only around a 2-3 hr hike the last 30mins is pretty Hard Core when walking the skinny ridge up the the peak.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Anything in the Sooke Wilderness Reserve or East Sooke Park are hiking caches... and there are lots!
Cachers in the Wry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

I did Frosty Mt. Larches in Manning this fall, 25km round trip, only the summit gets a bit tricky. We were probably a few weeks early, the larches were still green but still beautiful. October can see snow up that way. The cache is in the meadow and then it's another hour up to Frosty Peak.
Team Toyo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

How About:

Suspended on The Stein
stein valley lookout
On Top of Ol Skoatl
Dunn Peak
Sugar Cache

It was possible to get to Sugar Cache with a good 4x4 a few years ago. I don't know if you still can but the views are worth it no matter how you get there. The others all good hikes that will take a good day or more for Stein Valley Lookout. Each has it challenges and are well worth the effort.
Raygar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

There's one at the top of Golden Ears in Maple Ridge:

GC1GQC1 360 View

Im am looking forward to doing this one maybe july or Aug.
last time i was up there i ran out of steam dealing with the snow.
I since have found a few websites that often have recent trail condition updates for here and elsewhere.
livetrails.com/index.php
www.clubtread.com/
Anyone else interested in doing the Ears caches hike?
koakai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Man I died hiking Golden ears when I was 20. They'd never find the body if I tried to do it now.

So why is it I want to go? Smile
Raygar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

thats two of us, who else lol?
plus there is a new hide at Alder Flats,a good spot to camp on the way up.
I would have got the FTF but i had told someone i would help with some heavy lifting.
darn friends
Technic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

If you are really into a hot hardcore hike in the Kamloops area, visit Sky High #9 GC1TAPK, Sky High #10 GC1X90E, Twenty Peaks: Rousseau Hill (mountain) GC1YJWH, and two more in the vacinity (there are a few more in the area as well) in one day. Charlie (my dog) and I did the five caches. If you go to the logs to any of the above mentioned caches you will see the profile of the hills. In my gallery I posted a picture of the mountain profile. In the picture, you will see that the distance is about 8.9 km. In actual fact, I cut off the last two caches from this profile. In total, the GPS profile indicated a distance of 13 km., a vertical distance of 4400 ft. (adding the up and down), and a time of just under 5 hours.
As couloir mentioned, he has caches in a series called Ten Peaks, another called Twenty Peaks, and now he has started the third called Thirty Peaks.
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

I am in the same boat as koakai. Been up many times, but would likely suffer a horrible fate if attempted now. I would love to hike Golden ears again, but I need to accept the fact that I am too out of shape to make it. Heres a pic of me on panorama ridge, circa 1990.... www.facebook.com/photo...=718706809 thats me in the center of the shot, I wear a shirt when hiking now....hahahah.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

I had to look at a few other shots. Six pictures previous, I'm not sure if I'm more scared of the mullet or the footprints on the wall.

I wish there was geocaching when I was younger. It would have given me a reason to do a lot more hiking.
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Hahaha, I didn't realize it would link my whole gallery.....

I am pretty sure I have a sweet mullet in that hiking pic too, its just hard to tell, stealth mullet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

I have a couple Hardcore Hiking Caches with FTF's still waiting! A couple of them have more than one FTF waiting also.

Peaked Out!: Mount McGuire
Peaked Out! Mount MacFarlane
Peaked Out: Mount Webb
Peaked Out: Mount Amadis
Raygar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

Well i need to get out for a decent hike soon
this to me looks like a good area to start
Between Maple Rodge and Mission, just east of the Stave power house north of the Mission Dump.
Old Tales of a Lumberjack GCCB30
Several caches in the area and one not found for some time
Not sure of snow levels but will be fun to find out
Any one interested?
The Stainless Steel Rat
cheers
Raygar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

lol look at the area now its looking like a power trail almost
dZilla

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcore Hiking Caches Reply with quote

I'd be interested in doing any hikes.... :).... Depending on where they are of course lol Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Recommend a Cache
Page 1 of 1