CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» geocoin
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Georgina Point Lighthouse
Georgina Point Lighthouse:  [?] . Now a heritage site, the Georgina Point Lighthouse on Mayne Island has been lighting the way through Active Pass since 1885. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» geocoin
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
geocoin
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: geocoin Reply with quote

What is the new "Is Collectible yes or no buttons all about? Maybe not new I have just never noticed it before.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Groundspeak has a good explanation:

support.groundspeak.co...age&id=250

Essentially it allows you to keep collections of trackables and keep people from grabbing them.

Cache stats and map
cartguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Thanks Aerodoq I was looking on groundspeak but couldn't find anything that explains it perfect
Technic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

If I have an archived cache, can I place my trackables in that and have them protected from someone grabbing them? Can I move my coins in and out of an archived cache? I have some coins that are not activated yet because I didn't want them to go astray. I also wanted to take them to events and have other cachers discover them.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Technic wrote:
If I have an archived cache, can I place my trackables in that and have them protected from someone grabbing them? Can I move my coins in and out of an archived cache? I have some coins that are not activated yet because I didn't want them to go astray. I also wanted to take them to events and have other cachers discover them.

Using an archived cache is how most people keep there coins organized and out of their inventory so they do not accidentally drop one in a cache they are logging however, this new function being discussed here is what has been implemented to allow you to not have to use an archived cache or an unpublished cache to store your coins in.

As for your unactivated coins they will not be able to be discovered by people until you activate them. If you want to take them to events and have them discovered use the new function here and that way they can be discovered but will not be able to be moved to anyones inventory or to a cache unless you put the coin back into your inventory.
Technic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Thanks, TESKELLY. I will further review the new procedure on "collectibles", and probably go that route. Also, it was mentioned in this thread that the new collectibles feature will not allow anyone to "Grab" your geocion....is that true?
Thanks,
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Technic wrote:
Thanks, TESKELLY. I will further review the new procedure on "collectibles", and probably go that route. Also, it was mentioned in this thread that the new collectibles feature will not allow anyone to "Grab" your geocion....is that true?
Thanks,

That is true.
Technic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I might just go the collectibles rite then.
Technic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

OK, I thought I had it, but reviewing groundspeak's explanation, following the link further up in this thread it gets confusing. I quote: "Collectible functionality allows for the Trackables to live in an individual geocacher's collection rather than moving from geocache to geocache." unquote. Further down the same page there is a table explaining how this all works, but there is states for COLLECTABLE: quote "The coin may be collected by another player." unquote. In the same table it says for UNCOLLECTABLE quote: "The coin cannot be collected and should continue its travels from geocache to geocache." unquote. To me this indicates that the coin can either travel from cache to cache or from geocacher to geocacher. The only way to prevent this is to leave the status of the coin UNKNOWN because according to the table it says quote: "The owner did not choose Collectible or Non-Collectible upon activation. These items cannot be collected by another player." This as a bit confusing to me. Which way do I go so that my coins can be discoverable, and not move from cache to cache, and not be collected by other cachers?
LordEd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Set it to collectible and then add it to your collection.
Technic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

Thanks, LordEd, I guess it doesn't get any easier than that. I will give it a try. Thanks again.
Technic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: geocoin Reply with quote

OK, so I tried one of my coins today. When you actually go through the motions of making a coin collectible it is a lot easier to do than to try and understand the explanation on gc.com. Now having gone through the motions, and looking back at the explanation on gc.com, it makes sense.

BTW, for those of you who dip your coins, there is a simple feature that allows you to have your coin "visit". That way you don't have to check your coin in or out, just select "visit".

Thanks for all your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1