CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Hatley Gardens
Hatley Gardens:  [?] . The largest, intact Edwardian gardens in Canada are found at Hatley Castle, a historic, 565 acre estate that is now Royal Roads University. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes
toplefttopfilltopright
"o" rings for nano's and bison tubes
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cachers in the Wry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a good place to buy replacement "o" rings. Or maybe a better quality bison tube or nano out there that comes with an o ring that will last more than 4 months. It seems like every second nano/bison we come to the seal is rotting and crumbling away and with all of our fall rain and winter on it's way I would like to have some replacements along with me. I just don't want to buy more rings that are as junky as the rings that the caches seem to come with. I won a nano at an event and within 2 months the ring started to crumble. It isn't in the sun and has not been through a winter.

Can someone recommend a better quality item or a good place to get replacements please?
jangor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes Reply with quote

You can get better quality o rings at any "good" auto supply store. They aren't cheap but they do last a lot longer. We have been getting them at Lordco and they seem to last fairly well. They come in a million sizes and just make sure that they are not too small. One size over is better than one size under. Make sure to take a bison/nano with you to check for fit.

Cheap bisons and nanos do seem to equate to really lousy o-rings. The heavier bisons that some of the suppliers sell seem to have a much better life span.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes Reply with quote

I've heard time and time again that Lee Valley sells the best quality bison tubes... they're very fairly priced there too compared to some other places. Maybe give them a try next time.

www.leevalley.com/en/g...3217,58218
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes Reply with quote

The Lee Valley tubes are ok (for the most part, ive had one that was a nightmare inside, luckily they're dirt cheap), but the o-rings dont really seem to be any better. I usually swap them out for new buna-n o-rings before i put them into the field now.

WRT durability in the weather, the material is the key, don't buy "o-rings" be sure the material is actually specified. Buna is ok for what we're using them for. Viton is better - but four times the cost.

I'd also recommend being careful about painting them. Viton ones seem to be able to take it, buna less so (which makes sense, it's a much less solvent resistant material). Also, if you feel the urge to lube them, be careful what you use. petroleum based products like vaseline will destroy a low quality o-ring pretty quick.

Sources for new o-rings, Lordco is not a bad choice. Other options, depending on where you are, almost any marine supply store (especially ones that deal with commercial fishermen) & one of my personal favourite haunts - princess auto.

All that said, I'm not really convinced that there's enough sealing area - or pressure to actually have any o-ring really be effective on these things though. Of late, I'm leaning towards the o-rings really being more for show than anything else. Now that wer're in a wetter time of year, i plan on doing some experimenting.
jangor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes Reply with quote

The Lee Valley ones certainly look better than the 8 for US$1.95 that some people get on ebay, and those aren't even the expensive ones. You can get them in bulk a lot cheaper than that from time to time.

We prefer the ones from Groundspeak: nice and solid with good wall thickness that takes a thicker o-ring.
Cachers in the Wry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have a lordco in town so I will give them a try first. I guess the beset back up option is to have the waterproof paper inside then if they get damp it's not a big deal.
PG-Goldwing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "o" rings for nano's and bison tubes Reply with quote

Hydraulic shops can be the best place for 'O' rings. The little ones are cheap enough, that if you're nice to the folks there, you might not have to pay for them. And they come in sizes from smaller than 1/8" to several feet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1