CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rogers Pass Cenotaph
Rogers Pass Cenotaph:  [?] . The Rogers Pass Cenotaph is dedicated to the completion of the Trans Canada Highway on September 3, 1962. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

Metro Vancouver Parks has maps for the various parks, you usually see them at the kiosk near the parking area of most of their parks. Instead of taking a map, why not just preload all the park maps into your phone?
I have supplied the links to each of their maps below spaced out so it is easy to grab for your smartphone.

Instructions for how to add these to your iPhone

-Make sure you have ibooks installed (its a free app on the app store from Apple)
-Navigate to this forum post using Safari on your iPhone
-Tap on the link for the map you want
-After the pdf loads in safari you can tap the button at the top that says "Open in iBooks"
-The map should now be displayed in iBooks and it is saved there for you to refer back to at any time (all your maps will reside on the bookshelf)
-After syncing your phone they are also transfered to your pc for safe keeping, they can be found under the purchased tab in iTunes. (no they do not cost you anything, thats just where they get listed)
-Whenever you want to refer back to your maps while out in the park, just open iBooks and hit the PDF tab and they will be there waiting for you.

Even if you dont have a smartphone, and you just want to browse the maps, here they all are.

Aldergrove Lake

Belcarra

Boundary Bay

Burnaby Lake

Campbell Valley

Capilano River

Colony Farm

Crippen

Deas Island

Derby Reach

Glen Valley

Iona Beach

Kanaka Creek

Lynn Headwaters

Matsqui Trail

Minnekhada

Pacific Spirit

Robert Point

Tynehead

Perhaps someone with an Android or Blackberry could give instructions on how to save PDF files on those phones.

I hope someone finds this useful Beanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

I just noticed that the map for Pacific Spirit Park shows up as untitled.
If you open iTunes, then on the left under Library select books. Navigate to your park maps and you can single click the word "untitled" to highlight and then you can rename it. Do this in the second field for the name as well and re-sync your phone. It will now be titled correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

If you have a Garmin GPS capable of displaying custom maps, you can load these directly into your GPS. This way you have the actual trail map and your position as well as any other maps (Topo, backroads, city nav) layered on top. I have georeferenced many of the Metro Vancouver Parks maps and have them loaded in my 62s. I have found most of them them to be quite accurate.

I crop the PDF's to remove erroneous surround data and annotations, save as a jpg, and load the image into Google Earth as an image overlay. With terrain turned off, you scale, rotate and transform the overlay so that it matches the undying terrain data as closely as possible, using well defined mutual reference points, such as intersections. Set the overlay order so the map appears below (layered) your other Mapsource maps (I want the topo, city nav, backroads mapbook etc. data to show on top of the image map). Save the file as a .kmz and load it into your CustomMaps directory on your device. Now, in your map setup on your gps, simply enable the custom maps.

Here are a few samples:

• Campbell Valley Park
• Pacific Spirit Park
• Lighthouse Park

Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

Very helpful! Thanks guys - will do the iPhone for sure.

Question about the map overlays - is this a 62/oregon etc trick only or is there a chance it will work with a 60?
savant9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

Yes Chewy, the custom maps that Mr. G detailed are only supported on the 62/78 series, and the OR/CO/DK lines.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

What'd be REALLY cool is to get a hold of a shapefile of all that trail data for all those parks and submit it to the Northwest Trails project. Does anyone know if Metro Vancouver Parks is willing to share?
savant9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

Jon(Moun10bike) and I had a discussion on whether poor data is better than no data. At the time it was decided that I would submit the trails for Campbell Valley park as taken from the geo-referenced park PDF file. I have since started actually collecting track data for the park and while the park map is generally ok, it is however just an artists rendering of the trails. The trail data that is currently in the mapset for Campbell park is this estimated data, unfortunately for the end user there is no way to know this. Here is a screen shot of basecamp with Birdseye imagery, NorthWest trails tracks(in red) and an actual recorded tracklog.

The differences, while minor in some areas, are unacceptable to me. Some areas show a huge discrepancy, particularly to the east of my recorded tracks where you can see the NWT on top of the aerial image. This is the reason that I have not submitted further park maps to the mapset. I am slowly working on filling them in and I hope to replace the complete park soon with an actual recorded track. Aldergrove Lake park was even worse, but the entirety of data in the mapset I have field collected, and am very satisfied with the quality of data.

I wish we could identify the estimated tracks in Nwtrails with a different color or something, but I am sure this will just lead to further end user confusion.

I know you, Malibooboo, are one of the largest submitters in BC for NWTrails, so I will leave it up to you whether you want to pursue this, but for me, I vote against submitting more of the park map data.

We'll just have to get out and collect the tracks ourselves Coonskin Hat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Park Maps on your smartphone Reply with quote

Actually, come to think of it, I remember reading some of that thread where you and Jon were talking about poor data vs. no data.

I guess my thoughts on the vague artists rendition type data are that if it's easily attainable (as in someone emails a shapefile) then it would be worthwhile to submit to the project. (Most of the large submission that I sent in was of this nature). But if it is a pain to get (ie- having to georeference a map and then digitize the trails off it), then it's probably not worth it. I think the georeferencing hassle becomes worthwhile if what you are digitizing was GPS data to begin with.

Identifying the estimated data with a different colour is an interesting idea, but could probably only be done going forward and not too easily on stuff already in there.

I think you are right, the best way is for us to get out there with our GPSrs and start tracking... And to convince as many others as possible to do the same thing.

BTW, kudos to you for all the work you've done and are doing on NW Trails, savant9.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1