CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» What's up with the bags?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Fernie
Fernie:  [?] . From mining town to phohibition era Whiskey smuggling hub to a premier ski resort, Fernie's prosperity has been dependent on its ability to adapt. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» What's up with the bags?
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
What's up with the bags?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

Hello Island Cachers!

The family and I have just returned from a week long trip to the mid-island that saw us range from Port Alberni, Nanaimo & up to Cumberland. Along the way we found some fantastic new hides we havent seen before, some beautiful places we would have smoked by on the highway had we not stopped to cache. We also found caches that had many of the same issues that we see with caches in lower mainland & know all too well.

What really stuck out & still has us scratching our heads about were the number of caches that were overbagged in garbage bags, or shopping bags of various types, sizes and shapes.

There were some that were overbagged because, let's just call it what it is, the cache containers were completely inadequate. There were definitely more of these than we were expecting, but it didnt seem to be the norm.

There were lot's of others that were perfectly good dry cache containers that were bagged up in nasty icky muck filled stinky garbage bags. I'm sure there's a really good reason for this, it wasnt obvious to us though.

Any ideas?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

I have to say I also hate handling those yucky wet an dirty garbage and shopping bags, out of my 24 hidden, only 1 is covered with a garbage bag because it is fairly large. Why some people don't use watertight containers also confuses me, do they think a plastic bag will keep everything dry?Absolutely NOT! I have even found a plastic PENCIL CASE as a container, wrapped in garbage bag to boot. The only reason it was dry was because it was hidden under a rock.
Are we advertising geocaches as pieces of trash or something Question

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

I noticed whilst up in the Lake Cowichan/Youbou area where 12 out of 15 caches were wrapped in a tattered pretty much destroyed garbage bag... All were in non-waterproof containers... I don't really understand it myself... The garbage bag lasts a very few months before becoming a moisture gatherer and defeating the purpose anyways... I wonder if these cache planters have ever revisited their caches and seen the evidence?
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

In Parksville, the caches were in great containers (lock 'n' locks, other waterproof caches) and also bagged in store bags! It was odd to me. One container had 3 Ziplock etc bags around it!

Are they some strange Island camo?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:
In Parksville, the caches were in great containers (lock 'n' locks, other waterproof caches) and also bagged in store bags! It was odd to me. One container had 3 Ziplock etc bags around it!

Are they some strange Island camo?
I don't know, I personally think a good bit of camo tape does a muuch better job! Shifty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

I may be able to shed a bit of light on some of the bagged caches question. When I started caching here in Parksville there was no lock and lock containers or camo tape easily available as it is now. Everyone used the best container they could find and then wrapped it in a black bag for camo. I have one cache in Parksville that is still in it's original cashew jar wrapped in a black garbage bag. It has been there for over 6 years and when I check on it I always view it as being rather historical, sort of a bit of geo-nostalgia to me. I have at least a dozen L and L containers and a couple of rolls of camo tape at home but just leave that old cache the way it is. So that probably explains some of the older caches around here. Then there is one fairly prolific hider who puts her caches in doggy doo bags with the hope that any muggles finding them will choose to leave them alone. I see Cuddlefish found a few of those while here.
That said, I too have found a few brand new, nicely camo taped lock and locks that are put in a zip-lock and then wrapped in a bright white grocery store bag. For those ones I am as perplexed as you. Question
vanislelady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

It is actually very tempting and yes I confess I have removed the bag and placed it in a garbage can on the way out. Sometimes the bags tend to hold more water than they keep out.
On another note, I don't under stand while someone hides a perfectly camouflaged container in a plastic bag? Is the camo just not good enough?
On both those notes, last year while travelling I found a Camouflaged ammo can wrapped in a green plastic garbage bag under a silver/white coloured rock. the ammo can had been painted just like the rock but with the garbage bag on it, it stood out saying"here I am, take me" .
The camo without the bag was perfect and the ammo can was waterproof hence needless over packaging.
cookiemakers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with the bags? Reply with quote

Well...that probably explains some of my DNF's, I've always skipped doggie doo bagies for sanitary reasons (and not just on the island, all over BC).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island
Page 1 of 1