CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Export as GPX file to GPSrs
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver:  [?] . Coal Harbour near Stanley Park. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Export as GPX file to GPSrs
toplefttopfilltopright
Export as GPX file to GPSrs
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
couloir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Export as GPX file to GPSrs Reply with quote

When you host an event, one strategy to use is to delay publication of caches until after the event. To provide cache listings to participants, we can provide them with a paper listing, but a GPX file upload is an attractive alternative. We have being using GSAK to create the files. When we go to export, we have no trouble with the newer Garmins (Colorado, Oregon, Dakota) and higher end models from other manufacturers, but quite often our computer wont recognize a device and so the export or upload is a challenge. By now, we have learned to download the most common device drivers onto whichever laptop we are using, but it is still a problem. Some of the GPSrs even need to be set into communications (USB) mode before connecting. As an event organizer we spend a lot of time assisting geocachers with how to use their devices, but when we are near the start of the event, we just dont have the time. A few cachers walk away frustrated. We will be using some disclaimers for the future. An upload of waypoints is a nice feature, but cachers have some responsibility to learn to use their own devices, bring their own laptops (or a device driver on a flash drive), or just use paper if they are technologically challenged or unprepared.
Of course, we could publish caches in advance, but would we get anyone out to the event and how would we deal with FTFs. We have thought about posting the GPX file on our website on the morning of the event.
As we all move to paperless geocaching, event organizers have to find some method to assist GPSr owners without being everyones tech support person.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Export as GPX file to GPSrs Reply with quote

I think that if you have a less than mainstream GPSr that uses .gpx files, you should have the hardware required to get the info required from a .gpx file to whatever you need.

My Explorist XL gets loaded out of GSAK with a .gs file so I have a netbook that will do the job. I don't believe a host should be expected to do anything more than provide the .gpx file.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Export as GPX file to GPSrs Reply with quote

I agree that there is a big responsibility for the owner to come prepared. I was loading peoples GPSR's this weekend in Princeton and for the most part it went smoothly. Some people came with thier USB cords and others did not. A few of the models of GPSR's did not work the first morning but a quick driver update the following morning and that problem was solved.

I noticed that those who could not get their GPSR's loaded were for the most part very understanding. I only remember 1 person this weekend who actually went away huffing and puffing because their GPSR was not getting recognized. That person left me feeling like it was our fault for not providing them with the info they needed and felt entitled too.

However I do remember the event organizers stating the laptop at registration was there to be used as a convenience only and that if it did not work it was not their responsibility to fix it for anyone. I kindly reminded this person to remember a USB flash drive next time as well as a patch cord for their unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1