CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» 'must do' caches in Kamloops
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Temperate Coastal Rain Forest
Temperate Coastal Rain Forest :  [?] . West Coast Trail [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» 'must do' caches in Kamloops
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
'must do' caches in Kamloops

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozibags

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: 'must do' caches in Kamloops Reply with quote

Hi,

I'll be visiting Canada (from Australia) in mid-August and plan to, among other things, drive and geocache my way from Vancouver to Edmonton via Kamloops and Jasper.

I'll be in Kamloops for about a day and, given all the caches in the area, will need to be a little selective about which caches I go for.

I'm interested in trad or multi caches that take me to interesting spots, either for good views, nice natural areas or features or areas of historical interest. I'm OK for a short hike but being time-limited I don't want to spend too much time getting to any one cache.

Can anyone help me by recommending one or more 'must do' caches.

Thanks
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 'must do' caches in Kamloops Reply with quote

When in the Thompson we usually geocache around Lac Le Jeune which is a little south of Kamloops - about 1/2 an hour.

If you are driving up from Vancouver you take the #5 highway, the "Coquihalla" There is one cache on the drive up that is on my to-do list. It's probably harder to access going north vs south. It's an old railway trestle (GC143KZ) between Hope and Merritt. I hope to do it this summer.
Also just out of Hope are the Othello Tunnels (GC80CB) a must see.
Also Brookmere, a small community about 15km off the highway (GCQ537). There are quite a few caches along the Coquihalla route to Kamloops.

We have a few caches around Lac Le Jeune. Between Merritt and Kamloops if you take the 336 exit from Highway 5 you can take the old highway into Kamloops. It's a nice drive which passes some lakes.
Use our cache GCN7Z6 as a start and you will see lots of caches along Lac Le Jeune road that goes to Kamloops. We also have a cache placed at the lookout above Lac Le Jeune itself (GCWCXY). It's a short hard hike to the top with a great view.

In Kamloops itself I'd suggest the KC coin exchange - it's a bit for a grunt up the hill to it, but the view looks over Kamloops and the Thompson river (GCPT74).

Drop me an email if you have any questions about the caches between Hope and Kamloops

Ozibags wrote:
Hi,

I'll be visiting Canada (from Australia) in mid-August and plan to, among other things, drive and geocache my way from Vancouver to Edmonton via Kamloops and Jasper.

I'll be in Kamloops for about a day and, given all the caches in the area, will need to be a little selective about which caches I go for.

I'm interested in trad or multi caches that take me to interesting spots, either for good views, nice natural areas or features or areas of historical interest. I'm OK for a short hike but being time-limited I don't want to spend too much time getting to any one cache.

Can anyone help me by recommending one or more 'must do' caches.

Thanks
Ozibags

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 'must do' caches in Kamloops Reply with quote

Thanks Team K1W1 (I presume from your name you were originally from 'across the ditch') Smile

I had planned to go up H'way 1 along the Fraser Valley from Hope to Kamloops but your suggestion of the Coquihalla H'way is enticing too!! I'll definitely take in the Othello tunnels whichever way I decide to go.

If I decide to head up H'way 1 to Kamloops, I reckon I could find another day in my schedule to detour back to the Lac Le Jeune area.

Will email about specific caches. Thanks again
couloir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 'must do' caches in Kamloops Reply with quote

Not to be missed are a large number of caches in the grasslands in Lac du Bois Provincial Park. This is a unique ecosystem. Nearby caches on Red Plateau and the Dewdrop Range are also numerous. There are 14 caches along the Community Grasslands Trail and several "series" in scenic spots in every direction. It is a bit buggy right now at elevation so lower, more open areas are recommended. Lac le Jeune is great, but bring your bug spray until the end of July.
Ozibags

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 'must do' caches in Kamloops Reply with quote

Thanks couloir, Lac Du Bois caches are now in my GSAK database. Where would be the best place to start a hike to the caches around Long Lake and to take in the earthcache nearby? Are there suitable trails to follow? What are the rules about hiking off-trail?
couloir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 'must do' caches in Kamloops Reply with quote

The provincial park has no off-trail rules. Mileage markers and coordinates are listed for most of the caches. There are no trees for many of the caches, so just follow trails or bear off in the right direction. Bring your camera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan
Page 1 of 1