CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Alpine Meadow
Alpine Meadow:  [?] . In the summer, alpine meadows across British Columbia burst into colour. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines
toplefttopfilltopright
MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'd like to see some discussion:

Does MetroVancouver have any clearly defined, explicitly written out guidelines on geocaching in the Regional Parks?

If so, where, please?

If not, how are we to let new geocachers know what appropriate hides are in those parks? And what can we do to work with MetroVancouver to get some clear guidelines?

Cache stats and map
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

When I was placing my Earthcache in Burnaby Regional Park I needed contact info of someone who gave me permission to place it (SOP for Earthcaches). There was a bit of a tizzy at MVP before I got an OK to place it. Apparently there is a draft policy that is being developed but not yet ready for public release. My contact said it will be very close to the BC Parks policy and gave me a weblink to the BC Parks policy on this website. The executive is working with their contacts at MVP to review and offer comments on the policy.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

That's good to hear. I just saw the discussion in the "Policies" forum where it seemed that the situation in MetroVancouver parks was pretty undefined. Clear guidelines will make the situation so much better.

Cache stats and map
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

katcogo hit it right on. My contact has notified me that MVP is working on a geocaching policy and is using the BC Parks policy as a baseline. I have no other info at this time other than that I've been trying to arrange a meeting with them to give them any guidance or input that they might need in the creation of the policy. Once I have more concrete information to share, I'll certainly do so.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

This message was nice to receive after enquiring!

Hi Kathryn -

Sorry this took a while. We do not have any rules specific to geocaching
however there are rules that could apply such as staying on trails (n
all areas), no digging or damaging plants, etc. Generally speaking we
want to encourage care and respect in our parks.

With respect to geocaching, caches should be located on or immediately
adjacent to trails and clues should discourage searching for caches
off-trail. Caches placed off-trail encourage others to also go off-trail
and this is not permited as it results in the destruction of plants,
trees and animal & bird habitat.

Hope this helps.

Barb M. Floden
Communications Coordinator
Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation
2099 Beach Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6G 1Z4
T 604-257-8438 C 604-992-5646 F 604-257-8427
barb.floden @ vancouver.ca
vancouverparks.ca
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

A good common sense approach from Vancouver parks.
Add this to the 'Geocaching and Policies' section?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

So, Surrey, Vancouver, BC Parks, Metro Vancouver Parks almost ready. How many more jurisdictions does that leave?

Hmm . . . this may take awhile.
savant9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

Has there been any new word from MVP on their geocache policy? I am looking to publish a couple more earth caches, and it would be nice to just quote the policy for Geoaware.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

The folks at MVP tell me that the policy is still making it's way through the ranks over there and that it's still not fully approved or published yet, but it will be similar (if not identical) to the BC Parks policy (which is a GOOD thing!).

So to answer your question, there still isn't anywhere that you can point Geoaware to for the policy at this point in time.
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MetroVancouver Parks geocaching guidelines Reply with quote

Thanks Ted. I guess I will just contact the person that marmi_and_tas quoted above to seek the required permission.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1