CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Responsible Cache Placements
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Spotted Lake
Spotted Lake:  [?] . Rapid evaporation of Spotted Lake during the summer months results in crystallized rings surrounding multicoloured pools. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Responsible Cache Placements
toplefttopfilltopright
Responsible Cache Placements
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Responsible Cache Placements Reply with quote

The subject of responsible cache placements has come up more and more often recently.

I offer this cache for discussion:

<redacted>

A>

MODERATOR EDIT: Removed link to individual cache page. Please ensure that discussion on topics such as this are general in nature. We will not allow a cacher to be singled out in this manner.

Cache stats and map
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Responsible Cache Placements Reply with quote

OK, I didn't mean to single out a _person_, but definitely a particular cache. I realize that it's hard to separate the two.

The cache in question then, is located 10-20m off of a trail in a park. Ground zero is on the side of a very steep slope consisting of some low prickly shrubs, ferns, and dead fall. The slope itself is very loose organic soild.

My concern is that:

1) It's unsafe (extremely loose slope) and the terrain is rated too low
2) It's irresponsibly placed due to the environmental damage that will occur due to people tromping around
3) It reflects poorly on the community in general. The environmentalist people who complain about geocachers causing environmental damage, and park caretakers could easily point to this cache and use it as an example on why geocaching shouldn't be allowed

The discussion I'd like to see is ways to help caches, in particular new cachers, place their new hides in responsible ways. The caching account that placed this cache has fewer than 10 finds.

Cheers,
A>

Cache stats and map
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Responsible Cache Placements Reply with quote

I have to agree here. There seem to be a lot o new cachers and they are all super eager to put out their own cache...usually before they have really experienced caching enough!

For instance, my friend that I got into geocaching just recently was so excited that he went and placed a cache and then told me about it after...to check it out for him. Upon going to the cache site I saw tons of broken glass at the first stage of the multi (common drinking spot for teenagers though it is a beautiful view from there), second stage was great and the final area he had dug a hole in the ground and put a large flat rock on top of the hole/cache! I alerted him right away and went with him to show him what he could have done to make it better and geocaching-legal. The thing is we seem to live in a society that just checks the "I agree to these terms" box without reading what we agree too and without reading the rules thinking that our own common sense will work just fine. I told my friend about the digging a hole thing and he never thought about it because his location it really wouldn't have mattered on the dusty desert hillside. He didn't really think ahead about the fact that some people could easily dig a hole in a park somewhere and damage the landscaping or irrigation lines. What might technically work for one area would be horrible to another!

He was very thankful that I helped him fix his cache as he didn't want to step on any of the experienced cachers toes by providing a poorly done cache. He also had under 10 finds to his name when he placed the cache!

Another example I have is a new cache in my area that I went to find with a fellow cacher and it was poorly described, no hint to help, no cache size and about a 1km hike out in the tools to a ravine that was full of rocks (million and one potential hiding spots!) and not the best reception as the gps was bouncing around. This wasn't a first for this hider as of the 4 caches they have hid, one was disabled due to illegal cache placement (railway tracks too close), one was found to be over 600 feet off coords, the 3rd was the cache in the ravine I mentioned leaving only one cache that worked out. This cacher only has 14 finds themselves. I know that it is exciting to place a cache for others to find and I don't mean to pan new cachers at all but think that more experience is necessary in order to place a new cache so that it can be a positive experience to the placer and the seekers.

I would like to see a minimum number of finds before a cacher can place a cache....say like 50. I know the number might seem high to some but I think that gives people a better idea of the types of caches that area out there and what kind of effect it has on the surrounding area.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Responsible Cache Placements Reply with quote

Aerodoq wrote:

The cache in question then, is located 10-20m off of a trail in a park. Ground zero is on the side of a very steep slope consisting of some low prickly shrubs, ferns, and dead fall. The slope itself is very loose organic soild.

My concern is that:

1) It's unsafe (extremely loose slope) and the terrain is rated too low
2) It's irresponsibly placed due to the environmental damage that will occur due to people tromping around
3) It reflects poorly on the community in general. The environmentalist people who complain about geocachers causing environmental damage, and park caretakers could easily point to this cache and use it as an example on why geocaching shouldn't be allowed

The discussion I'd like to see is ways to help caches, in particular new cachers, place their new hides in responsible ways. The caching account that placed this cache has fewer than 10 finds.

Cheers,
A>
I find that it is up to the seeker to decide whether they wish to search for a cache in a place like so. Although it should be noted in the cache page and have a higher terrain rating.
We should all remember about park friendly caching (visit link)
and to refer to the cachers creed. (visit link)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Responsible Cache Placements Reply with quote

You mention this cache is in a Park - if it is a BC Park, you could send the hider a note along with a link to BC Park's geocaching policy and remind them of basic park use policies (STAY ON THE TRAILS) and suggest that to stay on good footing with BC Parks they should consider relocating their hide to meet the geocaching and park use policies.

You have to word your note carefully to make sure you come across as being helpful. You want these new cachers to thank you and look forward to meeting you for all the right reasons! A couple of years ago, I chose to send a polite note to an owner of a risky cache hide that was in a CRD Park. CRD Parks have specifically told me that they love caching as long as it follows general park use guidelines... which clearly say stay on the trail. This cache involved crossing the wood barrier and crossing over mossy rocks covered in the spring with orchids and satin flowers then scrambling down to a rock ledge.

The CRD have said that if we mess up with our hides it puts caching in CRD parks in danger and upon sharing that little tidbit, the cacher said 'thank you, I'll archive it and find another spot'.

It's partly the information you share, but mostly the delivery. Write your note to the Queen as Stu has suggested and save it overnight to review again before sending it. Ask someone else to review it perhaps. Less is more sometimes too. Good luck!
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Responsible Cache Placements Reply with quote

Aerodog, if you were to write to the new cache hider what good things could you say about their hide? Was it creatively hidden? A nice location? well cammo'd? Cool swag?

The reason I ask is because it's always nice to start a note with a few compliments that will make them feel good about their participation and then add (almost as an aside) a very small comment about where it is located being a bit of a concern.
Bestred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Responsible Cache Placements Reply with quote

Sorry for posting on an 'old' topic, but haven't been around here in awhile and when I am it is only for a bit here and there Smile

I love this comment "if you were to write to the new cache hider what good things could you say about their hide? Was it creatively hidden? A nice location? well cammo'd? Cool swag?" Smile that is the best way to post in someones email in regards to their cache if cachers have concerns....also in a log.
I find that when I send an email or even post I have to read it a few times over to ensure it is the correct wording and emotion I want to send to the recipient Smile

I agree there are 'newbies' that do need training, but there are some 'experienced' cachers that need training to...so when I see the word 'experienced cachers' I cringe, therefore I don't believe in experienced cachers. I believe that we all are still learning the sport (if you can call it that). Everytime I geocache I learn something new, and I am sure we all do. Sure some are 'older and wiser' in the sport than others, but again, this doesn't make them better. Smile

Just my opinion lol Jester

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1