CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the answer.
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the answer.
toplefttopfilltopright
Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the answer.
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philatsea

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the answer. Reply with quote

I have seen a few websites like this recently.

Now going through the website above and others like it gets me to thinking on caches I have done where the cacher placing the cache has not given much thought to how they placed the cache. While the practice of drilling into things here is far and few between it is almost a regular event when caching down south in some places. I have seen hand/foot holes dug out of the side of a beautiful face of a hill/mountain so that the cache is 50-100 feet or so above ground level and one climbs up to the cache.
I remember going into a place in the desert in Arizona looking for a cache and the cactus were all blooming. I came across about a dozen shot gun shells scattered about so I picked them up for CITO. I did not locate the cache so I headed back to the car. On the way back I was looking at the shells and noticed something in one of them and pulled it out. Low and behold it was the log for the cache I couldn't find. I thought great someone scattered a dozen shells in a nice area for a cache not really that great an idea. The weird part is I found 3 more caches like this on this trip.

Geocaching has just celebrated it's 10th Anniversary and I am sure many of us would like to see it last another 10 years. I have recently run into a few new caches where the CO had less than 20 caches or in one case 3 cache finds to their name. Not much thought was given to the location or the surrounding area around it. I wonder if it is time to look at adding a rule like a CO much have found so many caches before they can place their first cache. There should be a way to report a poorly located cache and a way to get it moved quickly if a problem is spotted.
I say this because if we don't police our sport better then we will see more pages as the one I have posted above.

I recently did a cache where the CO brought all their own moss and plant material from home to hide the cache so no material in the cache location was disturbed.

Your thoughts on this?

Phil
WOLVERINESTacFour

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the ans Reply with quote

I totaly agree with you Phil. I would also like to see the return of virtual caches so that sensitive areas will not need to have a physical cache. Then things like the site you linked to wouldn't happen.

I have been to a cache recently that was hid by a cacher with less than 10 finds. The cache lasted two days and many cachers have DNF'd and there is still no maintenance on it.
Technic

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the ans Reply with quote

Somehow new COs must be educated on the basics of hiding a cache. Even though they check the box that agrees that they abide by the GC.com rules of hiding a cache, I doubt that many read and understand the same. We must police ourselves, and a CO that gets emailed indicating that their cache may not meet the guidelines should not get their nose out of joint, but instead agree that they are on a learning curve, and agree to make the cache meet the standards set by GC.com.

The following from Phil's message: "I recently did a cache where the CO brought all their own moss and plant material from home to hide the cache so no material in the cache location was disturbed." is not the answer either. Bringing foreign matter and/or material into an existing ecosystem is dangerous as well.

If there isn't a natural hiding spot already there, where minimal disturbance won't hide the cache, then don't place a cache.
Raygar

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the ans Reply with quote

I saw that anti caching stuff discussed on the main website forum.
that blog seems a little random, "searching" for reasons to knock the sport really.Hope the kooks stay in the US lol.

Cant even fathom the shell casing cache, I hate seeing that kind of litter in the woods.Seriously hate it.Ive been working with The Great Canadian Shoreline Clean up off and on and The Chilliwack Vedder Clean Up Coalition since 2003 cleaning doggy doo like that up from our great outdoors.
Also discussed often on the big forum is the issue of newbs making poor hides.Im not up on the parameters of hiding a cashe as after 300 finds im still building my first hide. ( it will be interesting terrain wise )
So it sounds like guidelines concerning how to hide and when to hide may need to be tweaked.Wonder if this could be done regionally? as say in BC. Every spring here, as opposed to the dessert that was mentioned, the new undergrowth in the woods gets hammered.Including by me sad to say despite my best efforts.True, its just ferns and stuff but it looks terrible until it grows back.The best solution I have seen was a description of the cache vicinity and hiding spot.Not just a clue saying log or stump in a heavily canopied field of logs/stumps.That way though it is an easy find the whole area doesn't get flat flora ( good cache name?)
this is what i mean

GCVJR9
Philatsea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the ans Reply with quote

I can see why groups such as the one I posted to start this thread have started.
I recently went to do a cache in a forested Metro Vancouver park and the cache was located some 25M off the trail. The Vanilla Leaf & Bleeding Heart plats were starting to bloom and past cachers pointed this out in their logs. I was in the park to get another cache and went buy this cache two weeks later to see if it had been moved and noted the only way into the cache was walking on plants and cause damage which were now really in bloom. I stayed out and posted a note saying this and the CO disabled the cache right away which was a plus for the CO. The problem is we have someone a few days later come along and has not updated their GPS and has not seen the disabled cache or the problems associated with it.
So we have some cachers come along over 6 weeks later after it was first reported go and do the cache because someone before them had done it as reported in their log.

Now this is exactly the type of damage we need to be aware of. Is it worth a smiley face for this? It gives geocachers a bad name and adds fuel to those groups as my original post talks about.
I am going to suggest that if the CO can't get to the cache and move please ask someone else to do it for you and update the coordinates.

Phil
anakerose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the ans Reply with quote

Unfortunately sending a polite email to the cache owner doesn't always work. There's a cacher around here who has many hides that are on the edges of private property and some which are clearly on private property, but she claims permission. I tried to help her but she's claiming that I targeted her and picking on her because she's new. I'm not the only one who is feeling this way (I've talked to several people). She even emails people berating them when their log entry says something negative about a cache. How do you handle a cacher when they don't want to listen when you offer help?
Philatsea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Has your Cache gone missing may be this could be the ans Reply with quote

anakerose wrote:
Unfortunately sending a polite email to the cache owner doesn't always work.

I agree here. I had a Coin go missing and sent the last person a "friendly email" not once but twice and nothing. I had suggested I could get it picked up by a friend or I could send a postage paid envelope for it. Months went by and I talked to several other more senior cachers and they made suggestions which I followed. In the end I got a nasty email from the holder of the coin saying that the coin was good as gone now. He developed an elaborate way of making up fake profiles and having them pick up the coin and moving it along. The coin has not been seen for months now so I assume it is gone.
The real sad part about this is the coin holder used language that was not fit to be in the log. He had a lot of class Yuck . He even admitted in an email to me that he had got the emails and just didn't act on them.

Yes some people have no class and just don't understand why or what you are trying to do with an email to them.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1