CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» hiding a cache in surrey bc
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kermode Bear
Kermode Bear:  [?] . In the far reaches of B.C. the Kermode bear is a genetically-unique subspecies of black bear found in the central coast. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» hiding a cache in surrey bc
toplefttopfilltopright
hiding a cache in surrey bc
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigd74

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: hiding a cache in surrey bc Reply with quote

I have seen some cache descriptions in surrey listed as approved by the city and others that do not. Do I need to get approval from the city? I went to the cities website and it says you need to show them where you plan to put it, but they are only available while I am at work. What should I do? I know legally I should get approval but what does everybody else thing?
911turbos

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: hiding a cache in surrey bc Reply with quote

You should find all the information you need here:

Surrey Parks Policy

There is a contact email for the City.
Bigd74

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: hiding a cache in surrey bc Reply with quote

I sent off all the needed info to the people in charge and was told it was not acceptable location.They said to far off main trail yet it was going to be behind and under a stump that was on the side of the trail, no more than 3-4 feet to the backside where the cache would have gone. Funny considering I have found a bunch in Surrey that are way further off the main trail and in a way more environmentally sensitive areas.

Guess they would rather keep the park for teens to drink and leave garbage in then have peolpe that may clean up some of the trash there and take it out.

They want them no more then 2 feet from the main trail, I guess I either find somewhere in another city or just hide without permission. Although I would rather not do that.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: hiding a cache in surrey bc Reply with quote

Surrey's geocaching policy has been in place for a relatively short period of time. So most if not all of the caches you've found way off trail were most likely placed before the policy was enacted.

Surrey didn't demand everyone pull their existing bad placements but they did mention that by enacting a policy the old placements may disappear over time while all new placements will be within the guidelines.

I've heard good things about the relationship between Surrey Parks and geocachers. They do get back to cachers' requests fast. And they really do try to accommodate everyone.

Yes, there will be other people, namely teens, drinking and littering. There will be mountain bikers that go off trail and people that allow their dogs to go off leash. That's a given. But it's very hard for park boards to police. The best they can do is try their best to write policy and fine people caught in the act. But those are separate problems from geocaching and a geocaching policy. It's in our best interest to work with Surrey Parks.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: hiding a cache in surrey bc Reply with quote

Most of the wife & my hides are in Surrey (40 or so now) & we've had very little trouble dealing with the parks people on it. Yes, they do have some restrictions on what is & what is not acceptable in terms of how far off the trail & the sensitivity of the area, however, we've also found them to be very accomodating when we've wanted to talk about how to make a hide work.

If they rejected your proposed hide, the suggestion i'd have for you is to try to find a time to meet them there to try to find a spot together - or, ask them to suggest a spot to hide it near your proposed area that would be acceptable to them. Ive had them reject one of my proposed hides that was in an area that was absolutely decimated by kids because they were hoping to have the area regrow - they suggested a spot nearby that was acceptable. It meant going from a medium to a micro, but we got the hide out so it's not all bad.

An important point to consider is that the City's policy applies only to parkland and land managed as parkland (eg a greenspace); there are spaces that either might not require their approval or do not require their approval. A good resource is their mapping tool (COSMOS) on the city website

The other thing that we've done that's made the application process quick & painless is to develop a template request format that includes the details they need, satellite photos of the area, photos of the hide in place & surrounding area. We dont get questions back from them & usually have an approval letter back within one working day. It takes me maybe 10 minutes now to bang a letter out for the city. Not really much of an inconvience really.

If you (or anyone) wants to PM me with their email address, i'm happy to send it along. I cant post it, it's too big. Failing that, i'd also be glad to help someone with their first one for the city.

At the end of the day though, mtn-man is intimately familiar with the policy & wont list your cache until you get the approval from the city if he thinks it's in a park or a managed greenspace.
Bigd74

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: hiding a cache in surrey bc Reply with quote

Funny just before typing this I got an email from the parks guy responding to my request to meet him there and review the area. We are meeting tomorrow.
Bigd74

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: hiding a cache in surrey bc Reply with quote

I met with the parks guy today and went for a walk in my proposed park and we came up with an acceptable spot to both of us. As well he showed me what they are allowing and what they are not. He is sending me a needed form for when I submit it to geocaching.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1