CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Wherigo Interest
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Wherigo Interest
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Wherigo Interest
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doonchak

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Wherigo Interest Reply with quote

Hello all.

I am currently working on trying to finish up a Wherigo cache for this year’s blitz (cheap plug Beanie ). Depending on how well it goes, in terms of stability and its ability to be played on various folks Wherigo players, I am thinking of trying to tackle a very ambitious project for next year's blitz...a series of 24 (hint Shifty ) different Wherigo caches all linked together into one main storyline.

However, before I even think about undertaking this fairly monumental task, I am curious as to the general interest in Wherigo in the lower mainland? Do a large % of folks have access to a player (not the emulator...given the amount of work going into these, the emulator would be disabled within the code)? Is there an appetite for more of these caches?

I have yet to tackle one in the wild myself, just got access to a player a few weeks ago, but the concept is very appealing to me (I do work in video games after all Jester ) and I can see where these can be alot of fun.

Share your Wherigo related thoughts here and let me know whether locking myself in a room for the next 12 months to make this series would be worth it, hehe.

Thanks.
WOLVERINESTacFour

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wherigo Interest Reply with quote

We really enjoy the wherigo caches, there just aren't enough.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wherigo Interest Reply with quote

I'd love it - if I had time to cache & had the gps that could do it.

Currently we've only done 1 - and that's because we were lucky enough to spend the day with a friend who had one and we had the day off together..

We think they are an awesome think - and would love to see 'stories' and choose your own adventure kind of ideas..

We actually have an 'idea' that I want to touch base with you this year on that kind of runs with that.. but needs a discussion over a cold beer to give you the true vision.. so we can copywrite it together.. he he
geodug

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wherigo Interest Reply with quote

Since Whereigo was launched, there has been some good, bad and unfortunately some ugly about what started as a great idea.

The end result is that there a very few Whereigo developers around these days. If you want to know the full deal on this I would suggest you buy CanadianBacon a beer one day.

He developed a game cartridge for the Lynn Canyon Park on the North Shore and has a lot of stories to tell about that experience.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wherigo Interest Reply with quote

CB's cartridge at Lynn Canyon Park is by far the best cartridge that I've seen to date. I can only imagine the amount of work that went into it. My cartridge, on the other hand, it much simpler, however there was still quite a lot of time put into coding it, troubleshooting it and just generally making sure that it works as intended.

My worry about Wherigo is that there's been really no talk about further development. The builder on the site was last updated 2 years ago. Most people are using Earwigo now instead for development of new cartridges.

I would love to see more cartridges out there, but I don't think that it'll happen until Groundspeak starts putting more focus on it. The possibilities really are unlimited... the only limiting factor is lack of development (or perceived lack there-of) on Groundspeak's end.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wherigo Interest Reply with quote

I am a professional developer, and I will say, that was tuff coding. The tooling sucks (There is supposed to be some 3rd party web page now to build it).

You think you do something in the right place (events) and it does not work, variables are scoped in odd ways, not available where you think they should be after a user inputs some data, and in the end you edit the file by and, add some functions and they don't show up in the builder to use.

If the tooling was more novice friendly, it would have more uptake. Thankfully a lot of nerds like me geocache.

And why did they not use Java, its more multi-platform than LUA and more people know it. I never heard of LUA before I wrote my cartridge.

Groundspeak has all but abandoned it.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wherigo Interest Reply with quote

Ya, I gave up on the Groundspeak builder pretty quickly. I am using Urwigo (not web based, but drag/drop based), which is much easier and doesn't seem to have the same number of bugs as the official builder does.

The one I am currently building is going ok, but I haven't started with the odd stuff yet, and I am worried about the actual process of taking it out in the field and testing it. The stories I have heard regarding the differences between its performance in the emulator and its performance on a Garmin unit are not too encouraging, but I used to do QA for a living (still technically do) so I am not too worried about being able to debug it...more worried about being able to fix the issues I do find.

That being said, the folks over at the offical boards are very helpful when it comes to questions. Every time I have asked a coding question I have gotten a response within an hour or so, which helps a ton when you don't have the coding background.

Groundspeak did recently release a Wherigo lite type app on the Iphone...was a specific game about chickens or something, so the talk is that this might be the first test to see whether or not the Iphone is a good place to put Wherigo...and if that happens, I would expect to see more internal development occur, since Iphone apps are the hot item these days.

All in all, it's a little bleak, but I am hoping that if I can master this new builder that things will hopefully go a little smoother then it did for those folks using the official one.

We shall see!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1