CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» Milestones —» Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Legislative Buildings
Legislative Buildings:  [?] . 3,300 light bulbs outline the exterior of British Columbia's Parliament Buildings. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» Milestones —» Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers
toplefttopfilltopright
Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers
Here you can post your milestones or congratulate your friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Milestones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Who might you say are the 'Canadian Power Cachers' , well that might be MrGigabyte, Catapult Jeff, 911Turbos, geodug, WildWigglyBeanz and myself.

I'm sure the others can post there own stories, (and there are some from the couple of days) but this is my summary of our April 19th Day Caching in California on the Nevada Geocaching Associations 'Trail of the Gods' (archived, caches being removed tomorrow).

First cache was just before 7AM, after leaving Vegas at 5:30am.
===========================================

The first cache of the day started with , 'How do we get in there?'. Well, and unlocked gate seemed the answer. If anybody asked, we were going to all start speaking french and claim the inability to read the sign!

The first portion of the route was flat and fast! Zigzag, off we go! We all had some friendly bets on how many we would get today, but the first hour kind of made us rethink that number. I think we had about 50 in 1 hour.

Then we get into the mountains & hills. Oh,the choices of roads! What one goes where? Things slowed down here, but the scenery changed at every cache, which made it great fun. I should mention that the sky was overcast, and it was very comfortable outside (as a result we had way too much liquids left over, lucky for the car rental employees I guess!).

After some hours in this part, we stopped for lunch, and could see ahead of us a 'flatter' part, stretching out ahead of us, so we picked up speed. The next section again a little more terrain to deal with, some mis-steps in picking the right roads for the southern side caches.

The last long stretch we had picked up some speed again, thought there were a lot of washouts that kind of looked like roads, only once did we accidently get into one, and we just yelled 'go go go... do not stop till you are at the tower' . Once through it we looked back at our tracks, a good foot deep in sand. We got lucky on that one!

With 5km left to the Hwy, it was getting dusk, so we decided to do only the North Side, even at that the last 2 or 3 caches were in pitch black. It was tricky finding our way out to the main service road, as you can't see any sign of a road!

I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow back at the Hotel.

I think there was only 1 DNF, some cache in a Joshua tree. Found the tree, not the cache.

We only saw 1 chipmunk, 1 Gekko and some flying insects. No snakes today (thank god!)

Tweezers were a life saver. Shreds of paper, torn logs from the lips of the containers were hard to extract.

Darn, those grey containers can blend in. A few of them were not in the 'usual' spots and you could be standing beside them and not see them.

Ouch, those cactus can go right through your light hikers!

Does everything out here poke, prick or sting?

Looks like 427 for the day. We all pretty much quadrupled our best ever day.

Last edited by _canadianbacon_ on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

to bad they're archived, although it is better for the evironment. Looks like a very good day!
Anybody know the world record for most caches in a day?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

There really was not any damage we could see , they are 99.9% drive ups. Unless you consider a few rocks turned over, in a sea of rocks damage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not impressed these were all archived, I wanted to go as soon as school was finished.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Wow, that is an awesome day. Sole Seeker picked some of them up too, on his way back home from his winter grounds farther south. I wonder why the reviewer published them all and now they're being pulled. Was that intentional?
grafinator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

They were archived because the utility company that uses that area was afraid of a potential terrorist attack with the coordinates being online so the Nevada Geocaching Association had to archive them all. The Nevada Geocaching Association is not happy about it either.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Well then...we will just have to find another trail of the Gods...Get on it Jason! Smile I'm in!
Philatsea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

I am currently in Las Vegas again caching. I have talked to MooseMob and the rest of the God's trail in Nevada will be archived this weekend. The reason was Geocaches tell the position of the towers and one could fill a Cessna 150 with 250 lbs of explosives and fly it the the published coordinates and bale out of the plane via parachute just before and blow up the tower causing a major power disruption in California.
This comes from a face to face meeting last week with Nevada Geocaching and Land Management USA it is being said this may be coming from Homeland Security as well.
As Moosemob said one can just look at Google Maps and get the coordinates. The reply was these people aren't to smart to figure that out.

There are many other power cache trails in the area one about Canada and Mexico I will do tomorrow just outside Jean Nevada. Oh yes be prepared for the heat as it is a toasty 27°C already and suppose to get up to sizzling 37°C today.

Yes so far we have see snakes, scorpions (both small and large), badgers, fox, cows (damn things are pretty aggressive) and a ton of lizards. I just hate when they jump out at you as you lift up a cache.

Phil
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Philatsea wrote:

As Moosemob said one can just look at Google Maps and get the coordinates. The reply was these people aren't to smart to figure that out.
Phil
That really sounds too stupid to be true! You can enter the trail at 3 or 4 main roads, even on foot. No small plane needed, that would be overkill.

Matter of fact any power is pretty much susceptible, its probably just a turf issue in this case. That's all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Also.. Phil.. We are expecting you to triple our daily record! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

yes so did we but it snowed the second day and the pass was closed and that ended that.

Phil
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Really? Snowed? Talk about a climate change!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Amazing feat! Wish we could have done it... that is power caching at its finest!
Philatsea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Best for the Canadian Power Cachers Reply with quote

Yes really truly snowed white stuff. A truck jack knifed and that ended caching for the day.

The day we cached it only climbed to 42F and was very windy. It was damn cold. It didn't surprise me it snowed. We ended up in Jean caching but no where the number we would have got.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Milestones
Page 1 of 1