CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Haida Gwaii
Haida Gwaii:  [?] . The first nations name for the Queen Charlotte Islands and the homelands of the Haida people. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions
toplefttopfilltopright
BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

We know that you've all been patiently waiting for this information and we thank you for your patience. We haven't made any major changes from last year, but a review of the information and instructions is always a good thing.   full article.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Thanks for putting this together Teddy2k! I know it's a lot of work and your efforts are appreciated.
KerryandShannon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Yay. My first Blitz. Waited for a long time to learn what this was all about. Now it's time to see what people can come up with. Should be a great summer. See ya out there...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Micros are not allowed as the final in any form of cache correct? Can a micro be used if it is a stage of a multi, as long as the final is not a micro? Just making sure, thanks.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:
Micros are not allowed as the final in any form of cache correct? Can a micro be used if it is a stage of a multi, as long as the final is not a micro? Just making sure, thanks.
Nano's are not allowed at all, and micros are only allowed as parts of multicaches, try to make sure that you have the biggest container appropriate for the area

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat! It's always better to be sure than to be sorry!
Now, off to finalize another Trolls in Training placement.
vnm747

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

So the B10: prefix will prevent any new listing before the Blitz begins, right? We can go ahead and check the submit box?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Make sure you put a reviewer note such as 'Please release on or after May 1st'... if you go early, it will not get on this site.

As is, with the limited access to caches, they may not show up here for a day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Thanks cb. Note will be added.
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Could we get some clarification on the publish date? The original revised timeline announcement said that caches would be published on or after May 2, and that submissions needed to have a note to the reviewer to not publish until May 2. On the instructions, there is no instruction about this. On the previous post, CB said it should be May 1st.

I am slightly confused. . . but that is not news!
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Some of this is heavily Tongue-In-Cheek - 5% stay well back from your keyboard please unless you've had your fun pills today!

I thought I read somewhere that there was a month or two to hide Blitz caches - are people really going to keep hiding them for this long and putting B10 in front of all their hides or do we just pick one or two that are B10 and the rest that we put out this summer are non B10 and don't meet these high quality hide criteria? Aaak!

To be honest, we don't really want to have only some of our caches be of the caliber to be voted on. EVERYTIME we hide a cache it should meet this quality cache hide criteria, otherwise why hide it? The Blitz isn't the only time that we should be focusing on a well thought out cache - it should be every time we head out the door, new cache in bag. I am seriously hoping that with the duration of the Blitz and focus on quality over quantity, we'll see some cacher-brain retraining taking place and less 'micro series' caches and caches in stumps in the forest with 5m accuracy and 6 stumps to choose from Laughing .

About the publish date... If the cache is submitted on May 2nd you won't have to worry about any pre-releasing of caches inadvertently because the proper date or reviewer note wasn't posted. Can someone please advise me if there is an advantage to having them in the queue before May 1 or 2 when this 'Blitz' goes on until August?

Ok, we're off caching! Laughing Take it easy today, enjoy the sun and make sure and fix up anything you find that is less than pristine!
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Allow me to clarify the entire timeline again for everyone.

May 1: Blitz information will be handed out via the 10 Year events that are being held throughout the province. It's also available online.
May 2: Publishing of Blitz caches begin. Cachers are free to start finding them and placing votes online.
June 13: Publishing of new Blitz caches ends. No caches will be accepted for the Blitz after 11:59pm on this day. Cachers continue finding and voting for caches.
August 1: Voting ends. No further votes will be accepted after 11:59pm on this date.
August 14: Official Blitz wrap-up events. Votes have been tabulated and winners will be announced.

mtn-man has been notified that all caches with B10 at the beginning of the name are to be held until May 2, regardless of whether you post a note for him or not. So feel feel free to check that box that shows that the cache is active and mtn-man will hold onto it until the proper time.

Mrs. Landsharkz brings up a good point... since the Blitz timeline has been extended this year, the so called "shotgun start" that we saw last year isn't quite as necessary as everyone has ample time to hide their blitz caches, as well as ample time to find other people's blitz caches. Although I know that we'll see a good chunk of them published right on May 2, people shouldn't worry about rushing to get their blitz caches out right away. Even if yours isn't published until June 13, people still have 1.5 months to find it and vote on it.

Let me finish by highlighting a couple of important statements from the Blitz Information page.

Like years past the BCGA is stressing quality over quantity. There will be no certificate awarded for most cache placements. You will have a better chance of winning by placing one great cache rather than several mediocre ones.

Anyone with two or more categories won will have the first pick (however only one pick) from the selection of prizes with the remaining items becoming door prizes for event attendees.

I hope everyone has a great time with the BCGA 2010 Blitz!
katcogo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification on the "hold date". I placed an Earthcache that does not go through Mtn-man so that would have slipped by if I hadn't put the note to reviewer. Was amazed at how fast it was approved (less than 24 hrs)!
KerryandShannon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Just a quick question. I just recently placed a cache before the rules were published and would like to add it to the blitz caches. Can you add caches published before May 1 to the Blitz? And if so, where do you draw the line? No caches before 2010? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Sorry only caches published between May 2nd and June 13th can be included for the blitz.
KerryandShannon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Awsome. Smack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

There has been a question asked of me as to how a hider is to indicate what category a Blitz cache that has been hidden is representing.

To clarify:

Every blitz cache hidden is automatically approved for all the categories. It is up to the finder to vote accordingly to each category they feel the cache is suited too and can simply select N/A for the categories they want to abstain at voting on for that particular cache.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Sorry for the mis-information for May 1st... Got that date confused with some event dates.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

jeeze...I gotta get out and hide my cache.
I think everybody will really like a multi that I'm in the middle of making. just have to get out there and hide it....soon.
thanks for all the clarifications

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
jeeze...I gotta get out and hide my cache.
I think everybody will really like a multi that I'm in the middle of making. just have to get out there and hide it....soon.
thanks for all the clarifications

Don't worry there is no rush this time around. You have all summer to get them published. Good luck
kilrag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:

I have a similar question.

I have some Nano's as part of a series because I am using the container to protect the paper and keep it dryer. I have the nano's attached to a 4 inch wooden number and then placed in a plastic bag as part of a multi cache. There is no log book or trade items since it is a multi cache. Would this be ok?
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

kilrag wrote:
marmi_and_tas wrote:

I have some Nano's as part of a series because I am using the container to protect the paper and keep it dryer. I have the nano's attached to a 4 inch wooden number and then placed in a plastic bag as part of a multi cache. There is no log book or trade items since it is a multi cache. Would this be ok?

That is ok because they are apart of something much bigger. The whole idea is that the finder is looking for something bigger than a nano or micro by itself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:
kilrag wrote:
marmi_and_tas wrote:

That is ok because they are apart of something much bigger. The whole idea is that the finder is looking for something bigger than a nano or micro by itself.

ooooooooo.......that makes it much, much easier because that was the situation I was in.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
ooooooooo.......that makes it much, much easier because that was the situation I was in.
thanks

Just remember that the objective is for people to find the caches not DNF them. If your going to use a special container make it easily findable. You can't get votes if people can't even find the stages to your series which lead to your final.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

don't worry, the nano will only be used to hold and keep dry some coordinates that will be in a bigger exterior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Had an idea a while back, and forgot to bring it up before now. I was thinking that after the blitz had finished, we request all the caches that do not win, remove the B10: from in front of the cache. I think it would give a bit of added prestige to the winning caches. I figure I would just bring it up and see what all the members think.

Steve
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

...or the winning caches might get a little trophy icon to post on their page. Winner of Blitz 2010.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Restless10101 wrote:
Had an idea a while back, and forgot to bring it up before now. I was thinking that after the blitz had finished, we request all the caches that do not win, remove the B10: from in front of the cache. I think it would give a bit of added prestige to the winning caches. I figure I would just bring it up and see what all the members think.

Steve

The trophy idea is better as Groundspeak requires that we remove the B10 from every cache once the blitz is over. That is a requirement not a suggestion unfortunately.
LordEd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:

The trophy idea is better as Groundspeak requires that we remove the B10 from every cache once the blitz is over. That is a requirement not a suggestion unfortunately.

Really? I didn't see anything in the guidelines dictating the format of a cache name. I'm not arguing with it (its easier to find in the GPS without the tag), but I didn't see a rule that would disallow it. In a way, they're all caches in a "series" that just happened to be placed by multiple cachers.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

If my memory serves me correctly It was in the form of an email from Mtn man requesting it be removed. I remember as I was one who got a reminder last year.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

The two years I participated in the Blitz with entries in 07 and 08, the request to remove the B07 or B08 from the cache title came from BCGA. I do not think Groundspeak has any concerns about the names of the caches, they are all unique anyway with GC #'s. We were requested to remove the B07 after the results were in and the presentations had all been made.

Might want to confirm this with the past executives and Groundspeak. Last year seemed to me to be the first year of "bragging".
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

I much prefer the B09, etc removed. It's easier to search a find a cache and way easier when they're in the list on my gps.

BTW, I love the banner/image that the BCGA gave out last year to folks who had winning caches - it was really classy and something to covet!
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

'Second' removing B10 after the Blitz. It can make finding caches paperless a chore. And depending on how it was spaced can take up a lot of repetitive letter starts so you have no idea of a caches name at the time. sigh. Sure wish the ones from past years were removed, sigh again.

The idea of a trophy or something for the cache page is a nice idea to acknowledge winners. Medal Trophy

So happy to have the Blitz longer and get more caches found.

And Best Wishes and Good Luck to all participants. I have a feeling we are going to see some excellent creativity, go on an excellent hike or two Very Happy , find caches that will inspire the art of caching... let the Blitz begin!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

I use GSAK to load my GPS, and I configure it to remove B10 from the names before it loads them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

I did a pocket query for caches placed during the Blitz period last year, within 100 miles of my home co-ordinates. There were just over 400 caches placed and 57 of those still have the B09 designation. There were no B07 or B08 caches showing as still having those designations remaining on the cache title.

Some cache owners had more than one cache with the B09 still on the title, the most anyone had was 7, and out of the 57 caches there were 25 different cache owners. My search took me as far as Sooke and Nanaimo on the Island and well into the Merritt area.

The B0? was put on the cache name for the sole purpose of participating in the Blitz, it should be up to BCGA to remind the participants to remove the previous years designation after a prescribed length of time. If this reminder was made, then perhaps another one is due. Then we might be seeing far less caches with the old B09 designation still on the cache title.

It might be appropriate to have the errant cache owners remove the old designation before allowing them to participate in the 2010 Blitz. That might inspire the removal of the old designations.

I also think it would be tremendously interesting to review all the winners from previous years and do a “Where are they now” show and tell. How many are still active, how many have been archived, how many logs have they received since the Blitz ended. Are the winners truly long lasting winners or just a flash in the pan.

So let’s get the old B09 removed so we are not looking at them in with the new ones, all you cache owners know if you have removed them or not. “just do it”.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

IRLPGUY you are correct sir. I looked way back in my email and It was BCGA not Mtn Man who sent me the email. I'll make the suggestion to the other directors about the additional reminder of including a request of not only removing the B10's but all of the previous years as well.
diraduck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

''So let’s get the old B09 removed so we are not looking at them in with the new ones, all you cache owners know if you have removed them or not. “just do it”.''

Oops. guilty as charged, Smack don't recall getting an email re removing the B09 but I have now. B10 here we come Kiss

TeamPawz

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Oops, this is the first we have heard about it but will immediatly remove B09 from the title. We only managed to put out 1 blitz cache but it will be a legal one. Thanks for the info.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
I use GSAK to load my GPS, and I configure it to remove B10 from the names before it loads them.

Er, not trying to derail thread, apologies but could you tell me how to do that? Pretty please with paf benefits. lol Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA 2010 Blitz - Information & Instructions Reply with quote

Hi there,
I just edited the cache page and removed B09 from the title. I think that is all we are supposed to do:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 2