CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver:  [?] . Coal Harbour near Stanley Park. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely
toplefttopfilltopright
"Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just a quick FYI - Groundspeak has contacted us regarding the way that the BCGA website collects the data needed to populate the "Newest Caches" and "Latest Milestones" sections of the website. This is done by a method called "scraping". They have notified us that the BCGA site has been scraping too much data recently and has started to show up on their radar as being problematic.

Scraping is just that... the BCGA site actually "scrapes" data from individual pages at geocaching.com in order to collect the necessary data. Scraping is against the Groundspeak TOS, however our illustrious webmaster CB had previously negotiated an agreement that allowed us to do this. That agreement has now been terminated and we have stopped all scraping activities on our website.

We're currently working with Groundspeak to see if there's an alternate way to obtain this data, but as of now, the "Newest Caches" and "Latest Milstones" sections of the website have been disabled indefinitely.

We're sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you, however we have no other choice. Our relationship with Groundspeak is far too important to continue these activities in their present states.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely Reply with quote

I'd just like to add, that this is a result of a change in policy at Groundspeak, and not a change in what we were doing. We have a good relationship with them, and if / when Groundspeak makes available data in some non scraping manner to associations like ours, I think we will be considered to test it out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely Reply with quote

The Newest caches page clearly stated that the data was obtained with permission of Groundspeak, right at the top of the page. Regardless, I personally obtained that permission form Groundspeak's lawyer 6 years ago when I built the BCGA website and added that feature.

You may wish to ask Groundspeak why they no longer honour that agreement, which I negotiated, obtained, and maintain.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely Reply with quote

I'll certainly bring that point up with Groundspeak, however the issue appears to be that what was once a small amount of scraping 6 years ago, has ballooned significantly into what it is today (mostly from the huge numbers of new cachers signing up every day).
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

Hopefully groundspeak can make weekly data dumps available or something along those lines.

As an interim for the new caches, is there something that could be done with the existing premium member notifications that they're already sending out?

The irony of the timing for this isnt lost on me though, just as I'm closing in on 1,000.... oh well! LOL
SOLONM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

gee perhaps it is not really about the numbers & more about the journey & friends we meet on the trial LOL!! some of us knew that a long time ago
Bestred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
gee perhaps it is not really about the numbers & more about the journey & friends we meet on the trial LOL!! some of us knew that a long time ago

If the caches one does are being logged then the numbers are still being counted lol

I have caches from May of last year and on that I haven't logged...now that is not being about the numbers and really about the journey and the friends we meet along the way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

I/we resolved and revisited a Cyberchasers puzzle cache that we'd solved years ago only to have that deja vu feeling as I approached the very cool cache site from the opposite end of the trail (funny how that works). Upon opening the log, I found our log from '05 and signed it again anyways since we'd done the work AGAIN! In reality, I was sure the puzzle looked familiar and I was SURE we'd done it, but it was showing on our unfound list.

It took a while (4 years) but I finally logged it online so now it won't show up on our closest to home caches. Jester

Reason to log online #1 - so they don't show up on your closest to home and you don't accidentally do them all over again years later!
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:

Gee, perhaps some of us like to celebrate with those friends that we've met on the trials, when they reach numerical milestones in their caching journeys that are important to them.

Could I contact all of them directly and ask about their finds? Sure I could, but it's cool to see the milestones posted, kinda like seeing your friend's picture in the paper.

I hope the milestones feature can be restored. The newest caches one I never use; the service groundspeak provides is good enough for me.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

doingitoldschool wrote:
Could I contact all of them directly and ask about their finds? Sure I could, but it's cool to see the milestones posted, kinda like seeing your friend's picture in the paper.

We liked that function too doingitoldschool. It will be great when the program experts figure out a replacement system of posting Milestones.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

lol It would seem the BCGA cache alert has a mind of it's own! Today I received an alert for a cache published in 2007! And long done! A trip down memory lane...
I think I express all our feelings that something can be worked out with BCGA cache alerts as I found them faster than gc.com's. lol Fingers crossed and thanks for your efforts on all our behalf's!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

MsChief-Gps_y wrote:
lol It would seem the BCGA cache alert has a mind of it's own! Today I received an alert for a cache published in 2007!

I got that notification as well. Jumped in the Huggy Time Machine, dialed up August 2007 and got an FTF! Coonskin Hat

Mr. Huggy.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinitely Reply with quote

We are reworking the data and some caches never fell into an area, so a few stragglers will get picked up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Newest Caches", "Latest Milestones" disabled indefinite Reply with quote

Hello ,thanks for all the great information you have shared!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1