CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» The Old Boys Club
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Mountain Lion
Mountain Lion:  [?] . The Mountain Lion, also called puma and cougar, are found throughout British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» The Old Boys Club
toplefttopfilltopright
The Old Boys Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountainsideman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

Is it time for the Old Boys to welcome the new crowd or just keep to them selves. I have witnessed this on many occasions. There is a certain group I'm not calling you out BUT make an effort at least!!! My wife asked a question to one of the (3000 finds and above club) at a recent event and was completely ignored. I've also experienced this even thou my responce to the question at hand was the correct one I was also ignored. I don't believe this is appropriate behavior for individuals trying to advance any type of geocaching association.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

I had no idea there was a 3000 and above club! I can't wait to join.

All kidding aside, I'm not sure this 'Old Boys Club' really exists. I think there are rude geocachers as there are rude non geocachers and those people are best avoided.

Don't take it personally and move on to other geocachers who are helpful and friendly. We do exist.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:
I had no idea there was a 3000 and above club! I can't wait to join.

All kidding aside, I'm not sure this 'Old Boys Club' really exists. I think there are rude geocachers as there are rude non geocachers and those people are best avoided.

Don't take it personally and move on to other geocachers who are helpful and friendly. We do exist.

Well said
mountainsideman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

I REALLY appreciate all of the responses to me personally from most of the unnamed members of what I called the Old Boys Club (more better cachers than myself). Those that stepped up I commend. Trophy I hope all your conflicts get resolved, have a great trip! And a big thanks to the others who posted constructive comments.
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

Thanks Mountainside Man for posting that update.

I should add that very early in my caching career - I think I had something like 46 finds - I met a very experienced cacher out in the field. We ended up having a lengthy conversation about everything caching.

That conversation influenced me greatly and made me think about what kind of cacher I wanted to be. I came away with some great insights about the sport, including a purist view. I have tried to live up to what I learned that day.

Since then I have sought advice and direction from many senior cachers who freely offered their time, despite me sometimes being a pain in the butt.

So - what I am saying is events are a great way to get to know who is who, but are possibly not the greatest place to further your knowledge of the sport - unless it is a 101 event - as there is just so much other stuff going on.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

Some of us think it is not about the numbers but instead all about the quality and of course the journey and friendship Coonskin Hat ........3000 is great BUT there are veterans out there who quietly chose quality over quantity......I'm joining their ranks!! Party Hat
WOLVERINESTacFour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

Interesting post and timing. I have recently attended a local event that was great fun after I overlooked the un-inclusive attitude of some cachers there and got to meet some really nice people. I love caching and will keep on for a long time but it suprises me that there are those that seem to think it's their duty to keep things secret from the rest. Having seen this in other activities, I have come to the conclusion that what I was taught as a child still makes for a better life experience; share with others and treat people the way you want to be treated. I guess they treated me as an outsider because thats how they wanted to be treated so I moved on to friendlier company.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

The rudest treatment that I have received as a cacher was from someone with less than 200 finds at the time.
Some of the best has been from the veterans who took an active interest in my wife and I as cachers.
Rudeness knows no numbers - some people are just that way.
whitebear

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Old Boys Club Reply with quote

I would hope that is an isolated incedent .My experience is that most of the "Old Boys " are very eager to help out. i personally like to help out new people to the sport & improve it as much as possible. Bear
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1