CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mountain Lion
Mountain Lion:  [?] . The Mountain Lion, also called puma and cougar, are found throughout British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS
toplefttopfilltopright
METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS

Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I met with a member of the parks dept for Metro Vancouver last week that had contacted the BCGA regarding partnering together in the spring. The idea is to do 3 two hour newbie courses in 3 different parks on three different days this spring. There would be no more than 20 people at each of these courses.

1)May 8 Pacific Spirit 2 to 4 PM

(2)June 5 Capilano 2 to 4 PM

(3)June 26 Campbell Valley 2 to 4 PM

The question I have of the lower mainland cachers is "Who would like to volunteer?"

Parks deadline is November 4th. I need to know by then if we want to participate by then. What do you say?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

While June 26 is a ways away - I should be still in town before heading off to Geowoodstock. I enjoyed helping out at the Geocaching 101 in Abbie so will plan to be at Campbell Valley in June.

I don't think there is a park around that has more caches or one I have stepped in more horse droppings than Campbell Valley. Look forward to it.

Laurie
savant9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I cant say 100% for sure, but I could also help with the Campbell Valley one.

-Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Put me down for the Pacific Spirit Park one. I'm more than happy to help since it is practically my backyard and a place I have 3 caches hidden.

Beanie
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I will help at Pacific Spirit if the timing works out. I'll know a bit closer to the date. I'm sure there are enough keen cachers around Vancouver now that there will be enough volunteers.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Hmmm, I need to read the forums more often.

I can volunteer for the Pacific Spirit Park one too, if needed.

Cheers,
A>

Cache stats and map
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I have to ask Jeff if the BCGA agreed to this last year. If so I better get on the case!!!
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I talked to Jeff. These events are indeed going on. The BCGA has been asked to train parks staff.

We indeed need volunteers. As many as we can get. Hmmmm. If we make these events or flashmobs we could get LOTS of volunteers. **teehee** Train Parks for a smiley.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

OK, awesome. I/we (heh, heh) can help out with a Capilano event too...

Cache stats and map
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Well, I'll probably make it with hollyburn.

Wonders if an event page should be made?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I'll probably be able to help with Campbell Valley - but, it's WAY early to be able to commit, should be able to make a commitment by the end of May.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I see the Introduction to Geocaching events are published. www.metrovancouver.org...fault.aspx
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I see that the two events in June are posted on the Metro Vancouver events calendar.
June 5th at Capilano and June 26th at Campbell Valley Park. It says in both instances that GPS units will be supplied.

Are we to understand that the BCGA will be supplying the GPS units for these events?

It might be interesting to know if the BCGA committed to supplying the units when they initially discussed putting on these events with Metro Parks. If they did, then why ask the membership for their opinion on purchasing 10 units if that decision had already been made.

Perhaps someone from the Board can set the record straight with regards to the purchase of the GPS units. Perhaps we just misunderstand, and the GPS units are being supplied by Metro Parks.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I was actually wondering the exact same things as IRLPGuy.
Who is supplying the GPS receivers for the events?
Was the decision a forgone conclusion with the poll just window dressing?

Or am I just a tad gun shy and seeing things that don't really exist?
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Metro Vancouver Parks has 6 GPS units that they have secured for the 3 events, however there was some confusion between them and last year's Board regarding whether the BCGA would provide some as well. Discussions ensued, last year's Board mentioned that they may be able to borrow some from Surrey Parks and MVP went ahead with the assumption that we would be supplying them, without actually confirming that detail.

When I discovered on March 10 that the events stated that GPS units would be provided, I contacted MVP to let them know that we don't actually have any GPS units to provide. This threw the Board into a panic and on March 15, we decided to put it out to the members to post their comments on. Although not a binding vote, it gave us some valuable feedback from both sides of the fence.

More to come on this as we get closer to the events, but there's no conspiracy here folks, so let's kindly move on.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I can't speak for the current executive but when I was looking after the event Metro Parks was scrambling desperately to find a place that would rent GPS units. I asked around and couldn't find anyone. Then we learned that Surrey Parks owned the GPS units they used at their event.

Then I suggested that the GPS units might be supplied by Volunteer help. Of course, with five volunteers for the twenty people signed up at each event would mean they'd be huddling in groups of five (six with the volunteer). If we got more volunteers, then the groups going through the parks would be smaller. Although it wasn't a perfect solution, the representative from Parks was relieved and suggested if the BCGA could do it, it would be a great relief.

Since I don't see five BCGA members signed up for each event I assume the BCGA and Metro parks are still scrambling to find GPSr's. To tell you the truth, I still hope they can convince the membership that the GPSrs are a worthy purchase.

When large purchases are in question, it has always been the BCGA's mandate to ask the membership's permission. I believe it is unfair to assume that the question of purchasing GPS units brought to the membership was nothing more than "window dressing." I have no doubt that as usual the directors are scrambling to do the best they can with few resources and little volunteer help.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

oops. Ted beat me to it. **lol**
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
I have no doubt that as usual the directors are scrambling to do the best they can with few resources and little volunteer help.

For the PSP event, at least Cuddlefish, Hollyburn and myself have volunteered with absolutely no feedback on if our services are needed. I object to the "little volunteer help" bit.

Having said that, I'm also certain that between the three of us, we could probably come up with 5 or 6 units to help with the event. It might mean that we tag along with the groups to make sure the units don't get damaged or disappear, but I'm certain some sort of arrangement can be made.

Gwen and I are putting on a GC101 for a Vancouver high school tomorrow and it will be done with groups of 4 or 5 per GPS. It would be better to decrease that ratio, but I'm certain that everyone will be able to get something out of it event at such a high participant:GPSr.

A>

Cache stats and map
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

And Aerodoq beat me too it too. It would literally take me 10 minutes to stroll to Pacific Spirit Park to volunteer for that event. My caches are hidden in that park (and I've found all of them hidden by others). I would be happy to hand over my GPSrs and accompany people attending this intro to geocaching session.

Heck, by profession, I am a secondary school math teacher at a school adjacent to the Pacific Spirit Park.

However it seems the BCGA doesn't need or want my services for this event? No problem. I'll go geocaching on that day instead. Jester
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Hey Aerodoq - which school? Perhaps you are working with some of my colleagues?
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:

We're doing one for King David High School (a Vancouver private school) tomorrow and another one for a group of Lower Mainland museum/parks folks on the 18th.

A>

Cache stats and map
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Sorry if you are feeling ignored. At this point we are trying to find out if we can have volunteers help out with the classes. The reason being that there has been a class guidelines document created by the MVP for us on how they would like the classes run. These guidelines do not address if we can have volunteers help out. It does however state that even though the classes are free that if any person see's a class being run and asks to join in, we are to decline and have been asked to direct them to the MVP website to join a future class. We have contacted the rep from MVP to clarify this for us and will fill you in as we find out.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I have to take the blame for not getting back to the MVP volunteers. When the first people volunteered, Metro Vancovuer Parks introduced several changes including volunteer criminal record checks etc. I was going to get to the volunteers after all the paperwork was straightened around but I ended up leaving the BCGA before that happened. I neglected to pass that on to the current executive. I wasn't sure they were going to take the same route.

Aerodoq, Hollyburn and Cuddlefish represent the best of the membership. But it is a very small percentage of people that volunteer. And from my experience, just when I thought I had enough volunteers to scrape by, people pulled out at the last minute. It's a never ending cycle of bribing and begging people.

The truth of the matter is volunteers are very hard to come by. So this is a very contentious issue with me. I hope people who have been sitting on the fence in the past will read this and perhaps be more inclined to volunteer for future endeavours.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

It would appear to me that there has been a very poor communication channel between Metro Parks and the BCGA. If the previous Board had discussions with MVP then there should be records/minutes from meetings that address those discussions. If that were the case, the current Board would have had a basis on which to begin a plan for implementing their part in the programs. It would appear early on that who was to supply the GPS units was discussed with Metro and no conclusion was reached.

It amazes me that the BCGA was preparing to teach at these events and to date do not seem to have a clear understanding as to what they will be expected to teach and what equipment they are expected to provide.

I did not suggest a conspiracy, I asked a legitimate question regarding seeking input from the membership where it applied to the purchase of GPS units, and who was supplying the units for the programs.

The first posting of minutes to the BCGA website was very recent, those minutes were from a meeting held Feb 7th. Are there no minutes from any meetings from the time this Board took office till that time? If there are minutes then they should indeed have been posted. It was promised by this Board that a repeat of last years “no records/minutes would not take place, it is time to fulfill that promise.

I also take exception to certain members and members of the Board suggesting there is no volunteerism shown by the membership. If you want volunteers, then you must give them meaningful duties to perform, you must allow them to bring forward recommendations and input to the Board. When you show no interest in allowing the members this opportunity, but want to run the show all by yourselves because “you know best”, then you should not expect to have committed volunteers jumping at the chance to come out to help at an event. I have volunteered on more than one occasion and have had no response from this Board or the previous Board. Will I keep volunteering? Not likely.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I can't speak for Hollyburn, but I *know* that Gwen and Cuddlefish have up-to-date record checks due to their profession (teachers!).

I don't have one, but they're easy to get. The kicker is, of course, that VPD charges to do a records search (RCMP, oddly enough, doesn't).

If this is a requirement, then the outstanding checks will need to be done soon!

A>

Cache stats and map
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

The BCGA knows how to teach a class on Geocaching. It's done it countless times. It's not a matter of lack of communication nearly as much as an evolution of the BCGA's involvement in the project.

Traditionally, about 1% of the membership volunteers. The BCGA is no exception. That's an indisputable fact. The BCGA has traditionally allowed what few volunteers we get to bring stuff to the table. I seem to recall <redacted> doing an interesting demonstration when I was at a Fraser Valley event. I would think he did that on his own accord, not under a "we know best" rule by a higher power. When volunteering at local events the reps are in charge and I would hope all volunteers were thanked.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I think lots of folk would volunteer if they were felt empowered to do so. Sadly, what I've seen from BCGA is only a "chosen few" are selected to volunteer and mostly because their BFs are on the Board. This demonstrates a distinct lack of awareness regarding effective volunteer management.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Areodoq -- I don't know what the outcome was. Whether everyone or just a few volunteers needed record checks was in question. I have no doubt the current executive is working on it now. Ironing out all the details with other institutions is a long process.

Solonm -- With a small volunteer base, it's been my experience that the BCGA does not pick and choose. If the volunteers were my geo-friends they volunteered because I guilted them into it. That's probably the same with all directors. When it's crunch time and there is nobody to help, event coordinators will beg their friends.

There is no select volunteer group. I wish there was. It would mean the BCGA had a large volunteer base.
Doonchak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

SOLOMN, how can people be chosen to volunteer? That doesn't even make any sense. Beyond that point, that is simply not true.

Last year, when the idea of Blitz Launch Events was raised, I volunteered despite not being 'BFFs' with anyone on the board, and I was promptly supported in my efforts to throw an event.

To further that point, they also gladly take the ideas of people who have nothing to do with the board, as the Launch Events were my idea and when they realized it was a good one, they ran with it.

No one is perfect, but for goodness sakes, the efforts to crucify the folks on the BCGA boards goes beyond rediculous sometimes...
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Aerodoq wrote:
Cuddlefish wrote:

We're doing one for King David High School (a Vancouver private school) tomorrow and another one for a group of Lower Mainland museum/parks folks on the 18th.

A>

I know this school of course... did you not know I was Jewish? Beanie

Good for you! You let me know if you ever need a hand. Very Happy
SOLONM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

last year there were were many able/veteran cachers in our area who would have willingly contributed to the Blitz........no one asked them. One can only conclude the network was supported by BFs. of who knows who & thereby excluded this valuable resource...
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

....no one asked them??? That just proves my point that nobody volunteers.

Nobody should be begged to volunteer.

I wish there was a network. A network of people willing to work for the BCGA. Now that would be nice.

This forum has gotten off base. If anyone wants to discuss volunteering in general I suggest the topic be opened in a new thread. This thread is about the project with Metro Vancouver Parks.
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
last year there were were many able/veteran cachers in our area who would have willingly contributed to the Blitz........no one asked them. One can only conclude the network was supported by BFs. of who knows who & thereby excluded this valuable resource...

You can conclude whatever you like, but you need to understand a couple of things before drawing conclusions.

In an organization such as the BCGA, there simply isn't time on behalf of the leaders to ask people to volunteer, other than by putting out a general request for help via forums or e-mails. Those who wait to be asked will wait forever. That's the nature of a NFP organization. There is no room for egos.

I would suggest that if the same people (including yourself) are interested again this year in helping out (or at any time during the year), that they step to the front of the line.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Tas and I are more than happy to help out at Pacific Spirit Park! I've undergone a CRC because of my Profession and am good there. tas would also check out to be crime free and we promise not to get into any trouble from now until the event! Shifty My understanding is that not everyone has to undergo a CRC...just the organizers?
Can a 'volunteer link' be set up somewhere here canadianbacon? Then it would be easier to post a need and have members respond accordingly without sifting through all the emails. Quigleyjones had this suggestion earlier.

marmi
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

This thread seems to be getting a little off topic. I'll keep with the volunteer thread that seems to be forming . . .

Perhaps the executive could designate one director to be the "volunteer co-ordinator". They could send out an email to the entire membership - which is more efficient than posting in the forums - asking for people to put their names down, with an idea of what they could or would be willing to do. Things like special talents, connections, useful work skills etc could be included.

Non-profits live or die by volunteers starting at the President and the rest of the board all the way down to someone helping clean up after an event. It is essential to know who will help and keep these people's contacts as organized as possible.

I am always available as long as it fits my schedule. . .
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Quote::
The question I have of the lower mainland cachers is "Who would like to volunteer?"

I believe this was the question I asked right at the beginning of this thread. So the question to all geocachers in the lower mainland about volunteering was asked. No one can EVER say they were NEVER asked. If you didn't reply here then that was your problem.

When working with City organizations (parks dept) CRC's are needed. The way to get around having every volunteer getting one done for that organization is to have a head volunteer and then all other volunteers work under that head volunteer who has had their CRC done. This makes life easier. That head volunteer will most likely do a lot of work way before that event and take all the doggy doo if it doesn't go well.

This is how I did it with Surrey parks. If every one of the cachers that showed up and "I" asked to help needed a CRC before helping, we would never of been able to expose geocaching to the 184 people. With those volunteers helping everyone had a smile on their face. I still don't think I have said thank you enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

If helped is needed May 8 at PSP, I'm there.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Just to give everyone a quick update, it looks like we have enough volunteers for the May 8 session at Pacific Spirit Park.

MVP has confirmed that anyone volunteering to help with a session will need to go through a criminal record check, as per MVP policies. I'm waiting to hear back from them as to whether current employment will suffice (i.e. being a teacher, who is already required to maintain a clear criminal record). I'm also looking to see if they will make any exceptions because it's just not feasible to have EVERYONE do one. As Jeff said, it makes sense that the leaders should need to complete one, but not the other volunteers.

We are still looking for volunteers for the other 2 sessions (June 5 - Capilano, June 26 - Campbell Valley). If you think you'll be available, please let us know.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

Who pays for a check? I for instance have a Dept of Defense Accreditation for my work, and a background check done a couple of years ago for a community patrol, one of which I might be able to find the docs. But most people don't actually have a certificate to show they have been checked. It gets done, you are told you are ok, and thats usually where it ends.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: METRO VANCOUVER REGIONAL PARKS Reply with quote

I need to maintain a CRC for my professional organization but I don't recall getting any actual paperwork either. I'm still good for Pacific Spirit Park May 8th. I hoped to be able to do the Capilano one as well but it looks like I have a conflict.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 2