CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Announcements —» Policies —» Geocaching Policies
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
More Roadside Attractions
More Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Caribou Sam in Cache Creek [M | C]  Largest Burr in Port McNeil [M | C]  The Peach in Penticton [M | C]  Smokey Bear in Revelstoke [M | C]  Orcas in Victoria [M | C]  Bathtub in Nanaimo [M | C]  Largest Cuckoo in Kimberley [M | C]  The Head in Revelstoke [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Announcements —» Policies —» Geocaching Policies
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Geocaching Policies
Please note that BC Parks and Parks Canada have additional guidelines/restrictions for hiding geocaches. Check here to make sure your geocache meets all requirements BEFORE you place it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Policies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
911turbos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

I have added a menu option under the Geocaching section of the homepage to list the various geocaching policies in the province.

Policies and Guidelines

If you know of any published policies in your city or region, please let me know and I will add them.

Thanks,
Irene
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Excellent ... thanks Mrs. T.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow-up. Appreciate it.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Thanks Mrs. T! Very helpful information.

Regarding the Cache placement duration of 'no longer sought or 3 years, whichever is sooner.' How closely is this adhered to by BC cachers?
tas and I certainly don't want to alienate BC Parks in any way. Most of the caches we have placed or found in BC Parks are either now over being there for 3 years or have been there much longer. Generally the log book has the cachers name and the GC # and that's all.
Finding approved cache locations is getting harder and harder and one hates to give up a 'good' spot.
What is everyone else doing about this '3 year' rule?
LordEd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

A few (or maybe last) year(s) ago, I saw log entries where the cache was removed by bc parks and replaced with a note explaining the policy, and mtn_man did some archiving as a result.

I have a single cache in a BC park (fintry). I did a replacement of that cache and it moved spots, so I posted a note in the cache log and on the cache page explaining the move and argue that the time should reset as a result. I'll find out later in the year if that's a valid argument, I guess.

In March 2012, the cache will be archived per the rules. I will likely place a new cache in the general area and add a new entry.
911turbos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

That's a very good question. I will look into it and get back to you.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

May Chris or I answer this 911turbos?
911turbos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Yes please. You were the source I was going to.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

In practice, BC Parks is not being heavy-handed about the three year rule. They are relying on cachers to do their best to follow the rule, but essentially, if there are no problems with a cache, then there should be no issues. That said, you should really be of the mind that your cache is there for three years... and after that you should be thinking of removing it and allowing someone else to hide one in the area, or hide another yourself in the area if you wish and start the clock with a new cache.

BC Parks knows that there are some very old... almost historic caches in their parks. As long as they never feel that their parks are dumping grounds for junk caches, then there will likely be little problem. The rangers do have every right to ask that caches be archived after three years, and that right should be respected.

The three year limit is a small price to pay for hiding caches in BC Parks. I have done a lot of comparison with other jurisdictions, and they are one of the most progressive park authorities in North America when it comes to geocaching.

Hope this helps spread some light on the issue.
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

It's my understanding that BC parks initiated the three year rule for the following reason. Although they acknowledge that geocaching has minimal impact on the environment, the act of placing and finding geocaches can cause some strain to the flora. Taking out the cache gives that area of the forest a time to heal itself. For this reason it's not a good idea to archive the cache and place another in the same spot or close to the same spot.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and research on this topic. LordEd, do let us know what happens.
Tas and I will think hard on this topic as a few of our caches(Troll Series mostly) have been there for just over 3 years. We check on them often and have not noticed any negative impact on the area. We do, however, notice that the professional dog walkers, Mountain Bikers and Horse riders manage to tear up the terrain and leave evidence of being there with total impunity.
LordEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

My cache is on a permanent constructed path (stairs to fintry falls). There are several exits to the stairs that give the effect I want (going up the stairs) while being far enough away that any geo-trails will not be used again. An adjustment of 50m and a different path should work.

Although, if the BCGA could ask a bc parks contact about this scenario, I wouldn't have to guess.

Cache is GC14XXM. Change in coordinate: 140 ft on March 2009.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Well then, not so hard a think about this as our caches are not in BC parks! Still, this information is good to know.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

My understanding too was that the 3 year policy was to allow areas to 'heal' after geocaching visits, so archiving a cache so that someone else can place a cache there may be counterproductive. The problem is that once a cache is archived, the cache placement is lost. How would a new hider know that a cache had been there say one month prior and archived? Is BC Parks aware that archived caches no longer show up to prospective hiders?

And Marmi, your Troll cache series are in Pacific Spirit Park, like mine so I am concerned. My understanding was that Metro Vancouver Parks had a different policy to BC Parks. Am I mistaken?
vnm747

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Appreciate the posting of the policies... thanks turbos. And if Vancouver Parks has a policy too, then I am unaware of it. Can it be added to the list?
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Thus far I cannot find any Geocaching Policies listed online for Greater Vancouver Regional District Parks which includeds Pacific Spirit Park. Yup cuddlefish, I got my Park keeper designations wrong. Is not the BCGA doing some Geocaching 101 seminars with the GVRD in May 2010?
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:
Thus far I cannot find any Geocaching Policies listed online for Greater Vancouver Regional District Parks which includeds Pacific Spirit Park. Yup cuddlefish, I got my Park keeper designations wrong. Is not the BCGA doing some Geocaching 101 seminars with the GVRD in May 2010?

Metro Vancouver Parks Department.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

It took me a long time to find those upcoming BCGA Seminars online as they were way down on the list of upcoming events. What I really wanted to know was...'do Metro Vancouver Parks' have any policies regarding the placement of caches?'
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

As far as we can tell they do not. I believe that is why there are coming to us to conduct their events where as Surrey parks do have regs and are seeking to hire their own event personnel. Teddy2k and I will be finding out shortly as we get closer to doing the events.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Getting the information and the facts prior to doing anything certainly helps.
jangor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Metro Parks seems to have some unofficial rules regarding going off trail. The Parks workers get quite upset if you are off trail seeking a cache. They will ask you to contact the owner and have the cache moved. That is the case in Campbell Valley at any rate.
jangor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Is there any reason that this entire "Policies" section of the forums is hidden from non members? It seems like something that would benefit one and all.
911turbos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

It's not hidden that I can see. I just logged out and I can still see all the forums. Do you see something that indicates they are hidden?
tjguy98

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Just signed out and went back to have a look - yep, I can see it even if not signed in.......

jangor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

Never mind. It seems to be some weird setting somewhere. When Jane clicks on the "Community Forums" at the top of the page the "Announcements" section was hidden for some reason. After clicking it several times, all is now well. Some clicks hid other sections but it is all now back as it should be. Not too sure what is going on, but one folder always seemed to be missing. Enough clicks and everything now is visible. Thanks for the confirmation that this folder is public.

Click on.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

jangor wrote:
Metro Parks seems to have some unofficial rules regarding going off trail. The Parks workers get quite upset if you are off trail seeking a cache. They will ask you to contact the owner and have the cache moved. That is the case in Campbell Valley at any rate.

Not only do the Parks Workers get upset if you go off trail but they can also levy a fine on whomever they catch doing that. If the park area is especially sensitive, the dollar value of the fine will reflect that...at least in Metro Vancouver. It is confusing trying to figure out who manages which park so one needs to do their research first. Rule of thumb should apply. Do not place caches in especially sensitive areas and try to get written permission.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:
jangor wrote:

Not only do the Parks Workers get upset if you go off trail but they can also levy a fine on whomever they catch doing that. If the park area is especially sensitive, the dollar value of the fine will reflect that...at least in Metro Vancouver. It is confusing trying to figure out who manages which park so one needs to do their research first. Rule of thumb should apply. Do not place caches in especially sensitive areas and try to get written permission.

It's really important to verse yourself in the overall park use guidelines for park users before hiding caches in any park. Most people who use the park don't have any reason to venture off trail into the underbrush, but as geocachers sometimes we think it's OK to do so. Metro Vancouver Parks may have a blanket 'stay on the trails' policy for park users. I know that Saanich Parks don't want to be asked about every single cache because they don't have the resources to police it. What they do want though is for geocachers to follow the same park use policies as everyone else... other than we are allowed to leave caches in their parks whereas others are told to leave nothing but footsteps, etc.

One obvious policy adherence example - if a park is closed from dusk to dawn, DON'T hide a night cache there! All CRD parks in Victoria are closed from dusk to dawn, except the Galloping Goose Trail and Lochside Trail. Both are considered linear parks and are open 24/7.

Also, think of what an area will look like through all the seasons - in the late summer and fall look for debris from spring foliage to see if your could be inviting people through a meadow of wildflowers the following spring.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

There was a note left in one of the older Pacific Spirit Park caches some years ago that indicated staff were monitoring the cache area.

I think it will be great for BCGA to work with the parks staff to do the Introduction to Geocaching events coming up. www.metrovancouver.org...fault.aspx
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching Policies Reply with quote

hollyburn wrote:
There was a note left in one of the older Pacific Spirit Park caches some years ago that indicated staff were monitoring the cache area.

I think it will be great for BCGA to work with the parks staff to do the Introduction to Geocaching events coming up. www.metrovancouver.org...fault.aspx

To answer your question and clarify a post I made here earlier. Teddy2k has been following up monthly on the upcoming Metro Parks events. We have continued to agree with them that we can and are willing to work together with them on this project as agree to by last years board. Teddy2k and I will be conducting the classes and have contacted the person at Metro Parks to find out more of the details including how many volunteers we can bring. I will post again as soon as we have heard back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Policies
Page 1 of 1